“I am not omniscient, but I know a lot.”

neologist

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 11:20 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Your exception noted. It is what it is until you try to explain it to another. At that point we are left with our anecdotal and circumstantial observations. As to whether these are valid, the prisons are full of our conclusions. We live with them.

On a side note, please substantiate your advice vis a vis animism
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 11:29 am
@neologist,
Urging you to be Agnostic suffices ? You see, I am not advising against doubt...just the impartiality on doubting...there is only one thing that cannot be doubt, n that is that there is something...but I rather not pick sides to say what is ultimate nature...on matters of faith I prefer "Structure" then "God"...you see the word structure only aims that X is X while "God" already aims to describe X in some way...animism is certainly a part of reality we ourselves as biological entities in planet Earth are the proof...but to reduce the whole reality to Animism is fanaticism !
neologist

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 11:39 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I spent more than a few years as a comfortable agnostic.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 11:40 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
...there is only one thing that cannot be doubt, in that is that there is something...but I rather not pick sides to say what is ultimate nature...
Yea Phil that's the way I see it also: There's something we don't yet quite understand, perhaps of an abstract nature, which doubtless (to me anyway) will prove not miraculous but a natural phenom

Then whether or not to call It "God" is pretty much up to the individual
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 01:18 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
oh but it works in ONE little thing...to DOUBT you assume Reality, period !

Beg your pardon?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 01:33 pm
@Olivier5,
You have any doubts ? You see here there is no general to particular nor particular to general going on...all you need is one single thing to have a reality ! To doubt it, is asserting it !
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 02:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust: First Part
=======================================
In German, this quote means something slightly different: "I do not know everything; still many things I understand." (Original quote: Allwissend bin ich nicht; doch viel ist mir bewußt.)

Thanks for clarifying that, Walter.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 02:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust: First Part
=======================================

I know that I know nothing

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"I know that I know nothing"

The phrase "I know that I know nothing" or "I know one thing: that I know nothing" (Ancient Greek: ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα hèn oîda hóti oudèn oîda; Latin: scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire), sometimes called the Socratic paradox, is a well-known saying that is derived from Plato's account of the Greek philosopher Socrates. This saying is also connected and/or conflated with the answer Socrates is said to have received from Pythia, the oracle of Delphi, in answer to the question "who is the wisest man in Greece?".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is understood that we cannot know everything. On the other hand why do so many insist that we know nothing?

Ummm...who is actually insisting that we know nothing? That seems to be a self-contradicting statment as is.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 02:58 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Evidently, we can't doubt our own existence... That's the cogito.

Socrates' phrase is a broad-brush simplification. Otherwise it would be self-contradictory, mind you.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 03:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Laughing
It was only your look-a-like... Socrates !
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 03:05 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Laughing
It was only your look-a-like... Socrates !

I think I look like Einstein. And he is my hero.

We have dinner in Princeton often...and I have mentioned to my brother-in-law that I want to take a walk on Mercer Street...where Einstein lived.

He told me that would not be a walk...it would be a pilgrimage.
fresco

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 03:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No doubt Einstein is your hero because of quotations such as these.
Quote:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

Quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Quote:
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Wink
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 03:28 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

No doubt he is your hero because of quotations such as these.
Quote:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

Quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Quote:
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Wink

He is partly my hero because he outted himself as an agnostic. He also mentioned a GOD...but most people realize that was mostly for effect.

And REALITY may be an illusion...although if it is...not only is it persistent, but it also IS what it IS. No contradiction there.

Imagination may be more important that knowledge. How about you imagining that humans may not be all you think them to be.

And all the other stuff also.

I must say that I am both complimented and amused by the amount of time and energy you, a near genius, spend with me...admittedly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

fresco

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 03:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
All part of the service !
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 03:54 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

All part of the service !

Thanks.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 04:27 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
@Olivier5,

oh but it works in ONE little thing...to DOUBT you assume Reality, period !

It may have been only a coincidence (if there be such a thing) that you posted your response at the same moment I posted a link to a most interesting presentation. And whether that presentation is perceived as merely tangential to Edgar's question, it is nonetheless well worth the time spent to view it. Again, the link is:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lesley_hazleton_the_doubt_essential_to_faith.html?utm_source=newsletter_daily&utm_campaign=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=button__2013-06-24

You'll enjoy it, or my name isn't Debacle. Smile

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 06:00 pm
@Debacle,
Thanks for the link the talk is indeed inspiring, very sharp, and good food for thought...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 06:47 pm
Just cross my eyes in this video still seeing it looks good !
Debacle

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 12:21 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
That is an excellent discussion; witty, informative and enjoyable. After watching I found myself convinced the Conservation of Information Theory is valid. Dropping a headful of rubbish, such as mine, into a black hole, retrieving it whenever or howsoever, plottting it on a matrix, or mapping it holographically, it remains pure and unadulterated by the merest scintillation of understanding. I find that very sustaining.

Offered a T-shirt, as those fellows were, I would have opted for GIGO, as it represents my mode de vie in cyberspace and seems synonymic with the conservation theory.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 12:43 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I like that saying that goes something like this; the more I learn, I know that the less I know.
0 Replies