Paula Dean Fired By Food Network Over Racial Slur

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 11:22 am
@firefly,
Quote:
So all of this is just speculation, about the Food Network's decision, but there are obvious factors that might have influenced their decision.

three pages into this thread all i am hearing is "nigger","nigger","nigger"....there is a lot more going on with what happened to her relationship with food network. I see a lot of gloating by ignorant liberals "someone said nigger and ruined their lives, HOORAY!"

the reality is something else.

Quote:
Paula Dean Fired By Food Network Over Racial Slur

facts most definitely not in evidence .
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 11:26 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
she built that empire on the back of this schtick which you object to, even if it did fail now that would still count as a win.

I don't object to "the shtick", I even enjoy some of it, and I do give her credit, a lot of credit, for her business skill in marketing it and building her empire.

You're reading me wrong. I'm not condemning the woman. But she's begun undermining the empire she built, through her own doing, and she needs to wake up, realize where some of her actions are self-destructive, and realize where some of her thinking and behavior is offensive and hurtful, and take some corrective action, if she wants to hold onto what she's got. She's reminded people of the ugly side of that "shtick" and that's her problem at the moment.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 11:29 am
@firefly,
her problem is that she tends to be a bitch, which has always tended to work for her, and now that it is not working she is floundering and making herself look stupid.

she has two options, fall on her sword or retire, and she does not want to do either. that is why she is where she is right now.
firefly

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 11:31 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
her problem is that she tends to be a bitch, which has always tended to work for her, and now that it is not working she is floundering and making herself look stupid.

You've worked for her? You know this how?
glitterbag

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 12:34 pm
@firefly,
Firefly, you've read BillRM and hawkeye on this site. I admire your stamina and especially your patience, but both of these posters are on my ignore list. I honestly think what you are doing is admirable, so please don't think I am criticizing you, you have remained above the emotional and treated both of these cretins like sentient beings. Neither one of them can comprehend polite disagreement. Think of them as far less successful Paula Deens with extra bits hidden under their skirts. I believe some people have such limited faculties that they are unable to fathom anything different than what occurred in their own homes during their apparently formative years.

I apologize for even weighing in, because I don't have to read their predictable responses. I've been following the Paula Deen situation and must admit I have conflicting feelings. Like you, my family didn't tolerate racism or ethnic slurs, but I did attend school with people who were brought up differently. I really hate the casual attitude Paula has used regarding her use of loaded language but I am also deeply troubled that she really doesn't seem to think its that big of a deal. When I was a teenager I felt powerless against racists, and I'm a Irish blue-white redhead. If it made me uncomfortable I can't even imagine how powerless any minority must have felt. I don't feel nostalgic for the old South or for the fascist pockets of big Northern Cities. It appears that some people do, but it's too bad they couldn't have experienced the 50's from the other side of the lily white fence.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 12:46 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I've been following the Paula Deen situation and must admit I have conflicting feelings. Like you, my family didn't tolerate racism or ethnic slurs, but I did attend school with people who were brought up differently. I really hate the casual attitude Paula has used regarding her use of loaded language but I am also deeply troubled that she really doesn't seem to think its that big of a deal. When I was a teenager I felt powerless against racists, and I'm a Irish blue-white redhead. If it made me uncomfortable I can't even imagine how powerless any minority must have felt. I don't feel nostalgic for the old South or for the fascist pockets of big Northern Cities. It appears that some people do, but it's too bad they couldn't have experienced the 50's from the other side of the lily white fence.

so you make a claim of being conflicted and follow it with 5 sentences outlining a complete lack of of conflict.....why should we take anyone who produces such tripe seriously?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 12:48 pm
@glitterbag,
I still follow hawkeye, and at the moment, BillRM. I've clashed with both, and can easily understand how they might make it to someone's ignore list. Still, both (especially hawkeye) have presented points of view that we either never thought of, or find convenient to ignore. Hawk's strong point is that he doesn't seem to hold a grudge, and doesn't form allies. Each thread stands by itself, and he doesn't go gunning for other posters - or such is my perception.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:02 pm
you have to see food network not being pleased....it is pretty clear that Dean did her last contract negotiation while she had the diagnosis, but she did not tell them. given that the food nazi's have been all over her for years for selling unhealthy food this was highly relevant, as well as because we know that diabetics especially should not be eating this stuff. then she goes and does a deal with a diabetic drug maker, again without consulting them (losing her manager in the process because she thought this was a very bad idea) . then she refuses to reshoot all the work that was in the can promoting this unhealthy food, claiming that food network had no legal authority to make her do it........Did Paula Dean really think that they would continue to work with her longer than legally required at that point after how she had treated them? I doubt it.

and Dean has a history of this BS, a while back she got into it with a tour promoter after she sent them a promotional video that was not usable because of language and adult themes, which Dean flat out refused to edit to meet their needs. this ended with the tour cancelled and cross lawsuits... hers for under 2 million, them suing her for 40 million.Paula Dean does what she wants to do without concern for her partners. as a business woman she is a bitch, one who is no longer worth the trouble.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:16 pm
@roger,
I'll take your word for it Roger, but for the sake of my reflux they will remain where they are. Just not enough hours in the day to read everything. I think I'll revisit texts from dog. That's my idea of a good use of time.

I do think firefly has done a remarkable thing by explaining a complex situation to those two fellas. I only saw what she quoted, but that reminded me of why I avoid them. I'm not trying to diss them, avoiding them does the trick for me.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:20 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I do think firefly has done a remarkable thing by explaining a complex situation to those two fellas.

had you been paying attention to the conversation you would know that the explaining has mostly gone in the other direction, but you cant do that once you decide to close your mind. those who use Roberts idiotic ignore function deprive themselves of reality.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:37 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
The Klan and White Supremacist groups are also all over the internet

Yes indeed from you high moral horse anyone who have any pride in any elements of southern culture must be a KKK member.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
it is too late now to apologize for hiding her diabetes.

Once more I had not a clue until reading this thread that having a cooking show even one that revolved around foods that are not consider the most healthy yoy had given the right of privacy concerning health issues.
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:44 pm
@firefly,
The food network is likely going be be taking a hit in their pocketbooks over this and one can only hope that their owners care more for "moral" principlse as define by such people as Firefly then the botton line.

Their customers however seems for the most part to be very unhappy at the moment.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:45 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
it is too late now to apologize for hiding her diabetes.

Once more I had not a clue until reading this thread that having a cooking show even one that revolved around foods that are not consider the most healthy yoy had given the right of privacy concerning health issues.

not to food network for sure, and in this unique case, when you are selling a product that you personally would be unwise to use, there is a good case that a disclaimer to the audience is morally required.
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:46 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I still follow hawkeye, and at the moment, BillRM. I've clashed with both, and can easily understand how they might make it to someone's ignore list. Still, both (especially hawkeye) have presented points of view that we either never thought of, or find convenient to ignore. Hawk's strong point is that he doesn't seem to hold a grudge, and doesn't form allies. Each thread stands by itself, and he doesn't go gunning for other posters - or such is my perception.

I find myself jealous that you love Hawkeye more then me.............
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
there is a good case that a disclaimer to the audience is morally required

You mean the people who watch her show for some reason had not hear from the food police over how bad what she is cooking is consider to be?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:53 pm
@BillRM,
i mean that if a person is shilling for Coke but does not drink it then they have an obligation to tell us, and that if a person is pushing high fat high cal food but cant safely eat it for medical reasons then they have an obligation to tell us....on the grounds that not doing it is false advertising.
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 02:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sorry we will need to agree to disagree as showing someone how to do a task does not by itself recomment doing so.

If someone had a broken eardum and can not go diving for example any longer there should be no moral need to tell the viewer of a diving show he or she might be hosting of that fact.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:36 pm
Paula Deen puts her own foot into her own mouth.

This is directly from the transcript of the deposition for the lawsuit against her. The questions are from the lawyer representing the former employee who is suing Deen and her brother, the answers are Paula's.
Quote:

Stuff You Might Have Missed In The Paula Deen Brouhaha
by Tanya Ballard Brown
June 20, 2013

Q. One of the things that you had tried to — that you and your husband tried to teach your children was not to use the N-word in a mean way. ... Could you give me an example of how you have demonstrated for them a nice way to use the N-word?

A. We hear a lot of things in the kitchen. Things that they — that black people will say to each other. If we are relaying something that was said, a problem that we're discussing, that's not said in a mean way.

Q. What about jokes, if somebody is telling a joke that's got —

A. It's just what they are, they're jokes.

Q. Would you consider those to be using the N-word in a mean way?

A. That's ... kind of hard. Most — most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks. Most jokes target — I don't know, I didn't make up the jokes, I don't know. I can't, I don't know. They usually target, though, a group. Gays or straights, black, redneck, you know, I just don't know — I just don't know what to say. I can't, myself, determine what offends another person

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/06/20/193913397/stuff-you-might-have-missed-in-the-paula-deen-brouhaha

And there are more portions of Deen's transcript at the above link. Some of her answers--like the one relating to a question about "massage"--are inadvertently funny.

On the page linked below, you can also see a video where Paula explains how Southerners viewed race and slavery (they were "the workers").
Quote:
Paula Deen Defended Southern Attitude Towards Race In Fall 2012 (VIDEO)
06/21/2013
by Joe Satran

On Friday afternoon, the Food Network announced that it was dropping Paula Deen from its network after 14 years on air, after the National Enquirer reported (and The Huffington Post confirmed) that the chef had aired a series of arguably racist comments while being deposed for a lawsuit. But the deposition wasn't the first time that Paula Deen has voiced questionable views on race.

Last fall, I visited the New York Times headquarters to see Paula Deen talk with Times reporter Kim Severson on a variety of topics. When I wrote it up, I focused mostly on her comments about her diabetes, because Deen's endorsement of the diabetes drug Victoza was still hot news. But I also briefly mentioned a strange segment of the talk in which she talked about Southern attitudes toward race. Today, all this talk of her recent racist comments spurred me to revisit the video of the TimesTalk. It's really shocking stuff. Watch the video at the top of this entry for our race-related highlights.

Severson first broaches the topic of race relations after showing a clip from Deen's appearance on "Who Do You Think You Are," in which she visits a large plantation a distant ancestor of hers named Billy had owned. (Along with 30 slaves.) That prompts Deen to talk about the Civil War and the Antebellum South.

Though she ultimately says that the abolition of slavery was a "terrific change," she also takes some time to defend the practice. She says, back then, "black folk were such integral part of our lives, they were like our family," and, for that reason, "we didn't see ourselves as being prejudiced." (The first person plural here raises the question: did Paula Deen herself live in the Antebellum South? Is she a vampire?) It's also worth noting that she takes care not to refer to slaves as "slaves." She generally calls them "these people" or "workers."

And her defense of contemporary race relations is just as bizarre. She thinks the race relations in the South are "good... pretty good." OK. "It will take a long time for it to completely be gone. If it'll ever be gone." Fine. But here's where it starts to get weird. "We're all prejudiced against one thing or another," she continues. "I think black people feel the same prejudice that white people feel." Hmm...

By far the strangest, most awkward moment of the whole talk, however, is when she talks about a black employee of hers named Hollis Johnson. She says that he's become very dear to her in the 18 years she's known him, which is plenty sweet. But then she says points to the jet-colored backdrop behind her and says he's "black as this board." She proceeds to call out to him in the audience and ask him to come on stage, telling him, "We can't see you standing in front of that dark board!" The audience roars with laughter. Severson, shocked, says, "Welcome to New York." And Paula, characteristically, responds, "Welcome to the South."

Or the South as Paula Deen sees it, at least. Which, from now on, will be on view in her cookbooks and the soon-to-open Paula Deen Museum, but not on the Food Network....
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/paula-deen-racism_n_3480720.html

As I said, Paula keeps putting her own foot in her mouth.

Her attitudes, the ones causing her all the controversy right now, are so deeply ingrained in her, the woman really is clueless about how what she says registers and resonates with other people who listen to her.
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 05:16 pm
@firefly,
Lord she is not too bright but a racist I question and the black board-black man demo would only be insulting if you are of the opinion that being of very dark skin of itself is something to be a shame of and so having the man skin compare to a black board is somehow wrong.

If it had been a white board and a very light color white person would that be a racist demo?

Oh all in all my bet is that there is now less racism in the south then in the north
thanks to all the human blood shred by both black and white men and women during the civil right movement of the 50s to 60s.

2000 census Table 5 page 11 show that there are as many mixed couples in the south then in the north as of that census.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-5.pdf
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 09:17:48