subvocal reading and comprehension

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 03:38 pm
I am an average reader who can absorb large amounts of info if required but generally I read every word and recently realized (rather acknowledged--as one becomes suddenly aware of one's nose in the mirror) that I seem to hear the words I am reading. While recently reading a rather large volume for research, a comment was made by the author about comprehension. He noted that slower readers hear subvocally what they read, as if a voice were speaking in their head. I confess that sometimes if I am really enjoying a book--I switch to a voice that I have enjoyed in the past vocally. For example, Patrick Stewart or Lorne Greene. I also read some things that are 'dry' in blocks of words sometimes with voice-- usually without--reading only enough to understand but not for enjoyment.
Is this a standard of reading that I should consider changing so as to improve comprehension? I do not seem to have have trouble comprehending reading in thought form but if this is why I sometimes must go over some passages more than once to reassure myself that I have understood what I have just read--and also sometimes to see if I can glean more from the passage--or just enjoyed it--perhaps there are more efficient ways of reading that I have not explored.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,375 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 06:41 pm
Subvocalizing slows down reading speed.

Saying each word takes extra effort and makes it impossible to read a block of words allatonce.

Cangapet--

I'm editing this because I forgot to welcome you to A2K. Good question.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 06:47 pm
maybe the reason - I do not enjoy reading a printed book - visualization vs subvocalizing. but I'm also an auditory learner
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:00 pm
I am a fairly fast reader, within, I gather, the limits of those who read subvocally. I read rather voraciously, for enjoyment and knowledge. I've never been interested in speed reading as such, although I can skim fast if I have to. I try not to have to.
I have so much pleasure out of the sounds of words flowing visually and aurally in my brain - it is a kind of music. I can generally differentiate excellent writing from the mediocre, in literature, and tend to close the book on the mediocre.
As to reading someone's presentation of a coherent complex set of arguments, I like to read fairly slowly there too, to process the arguments in my mind. The limit there is in my brain's particular speed of understanding, not in how fast my eyes and subvocal words go.

Each to his or her own. I would guess an ability to skim at length and extract key points would be very useful in the legal profession, and some other careers.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:18 am
I do this too, what's even weirder is I can sometimes read interviews and hear their voice.

I also can subvocialize pretty fast; of course I also hear songs literally in my head!
0 Replies

erzulietara

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:30 am
Is subvocal hearing the words in your mind rather than moving your lips while you are reading? I thought the latter: a kind of quiet reading out loud was subvocal.

I would have thought hearing a voice in our minds was normal as long as we knew it was us doing that.

I have just finished reading 24/7 by Jim Brown: the thought voice(s) employed while reading the story is different to the one employed while reading the afterword.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:12 am
When a reader "vocalizes" each word, the lips may or may not move--but the vocal chords vibrate. This theory has been tested and proven.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:40 am
Oh, I misunderstood too, but in a different way. I thought it was the voice in/of your own mind riffing the words, as opposed to looking at a long paragraph and eyeing some key phrase, or whole page looking, which I do rarely, only when in some kind of reading hurry.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:49 pm
Sub-vocal--the vocal chords vibrate, the lips may move, but there is no noise.

Deliberate sub-vocalization can be very useful for slowing down to comprehend intricate (or clumsy) prose.
0 Replies

erzulietara

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:12 pm
Thanks for that. My reading style is mainly reading without any vocals whatsoever with the rare sub-vocalization. If sub-vocalization doesn't help my comprehension, I will read out loud. I think it is all good stuff.

ps if reading out loud doesn't help, I will also scratch my head! :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:28 pm
When all else fails, clean your glasses. You can comprehend almost anything with clean glasses.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:09 pm
Sometimes I comprehend things as I am explaining, carefully, the opposite...

enjoy this thread, Noddy..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
Thanks, ossobuco, but the credit goes to cangappit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:20 am
Oh, you're right! Sorry, and thank you for this topic, Cangapet..
0 Replies

cangapet

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:23 pm
Thank you all for your kind welcome. I had entered a more lengthy response--but the B-triangle seems to have absorbed it. I have a new question which perhaps should be a new topic--I should clean my glasses and perhaps the answer will leap out at me. Laser surgery. Has anyone had it and/or has it improved reading speed/comprehension and visual acuity? Or just made your unprotected eyes water from the wind generated by walking through the ether? Well thanks Noddy and Husker and all. cangapet
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:19 am
Cangapit--

Glad you had fun. As for laser surgery, I'd start a new topic. Granted, eyes are involved in reading, but still....
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 03:56 pm
I just speed read i think that works quite well..
0 Replies