My email address is associated with someone else's Facebook account

cosdcy

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:32 am
Firstly, I have not signed up to Facebook myself, nor will I sign up to Facebook in order to solve this issue.

My issue is this: Someone with the same name as me signed up to Facebook and entered my email address during the signup process (not maliciously I believe). When I first received emails into my inbox from Facebook about this new account, I ignored the emails thinking they were just spam. I certainly didn't click any links in the emails asking to verify my email address. I'm pretty sure nobody else has access to my inbox either.

Anyway, it seems that Facebook doesn't care if the email address associated with the account is verified or not, and allowed this person to go ahead and use the Facebook account anyway. Any emails Facebook sends to the person are of course arriving in my inbox.

In order to stop receiving Facebook emails, one day I decided to log in to this person's Facebook account myself and simply remove my email address from their profile. I reset the Facebook password, which was simple considering I was receiving all the emails from Facebook into my inbox anyway. Then I logged into the account, but it seems the person had already realised that they had entered the wrong email address during the signup process and had already corrected the (primary) email address on the account themselves. I couldn't find any reference to my email address in the Facebook profile.

However, I continue to receive emails related to this Facebook account, as well as emails from various online gaming sites where this person is using the Facebook account. The emails I receive have this footer (email address removed by me):
This message was sent to [EMAILADDRESS] at your request.
Facebook, Inc., Attention: Department 415, PO Box 10005, Palo Alto, CA 94303
What's strange is, the email address listed is the primary email address I saw when I logged into the Facebook account myself, but somehow these emails are still making their way to my inbox. As I said, I don't believe these are "forged" emails; I believe they are genuine emails coming from Facebook.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can definitively "unsubscribe" or "unlink" my email address from this person's Facebook account?

Thanks

jespah

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 07:33 am
@cosdcy,
Can't you just tag the emails as spam and have them go to your bulk folder?

Oh, and since the email is still associated, you might still be able to change the password and get in so, if you really want to, just hit the settings (it's a gear symbol in the upper right hand corner) and uncheck anything that allows for email notifications.

And then tag the address as spam and be done with it.
0 Replies