We're from the government and we're here to help....

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:28 pm
social emotional learning...am I the only one who is pissed that this state has decided that it has the right
to monitor and "correct" our emotions through its agents?

it is a very nice sounding ten dollar phrase to replace "state sponsored oppression of the masses" though, you have to give them that much.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:32 pm
@firefly,
I'm starting to get Hawkeye about his police state routines, which I've previously thought extravagant.

Self report. The new nun and monk orders.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:33 pm
@firefly,
Also, I get it that there are these rules. I'm complaining about the invasion.

Perfect set up for 1984 or similar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
No.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:38 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm starting to get Hawkeye about his police state routines, which I've previously thought extravagant.

Self report. The new nun and monk orders.

as long as you wake up by your last breath you are not too late. besides a lot of the problem is that you ignored me continually saying that I am not talking a out where we are today, I have been talking about where we are headed if we dont wise up and stand up for our freedoms to the state which keeps on driving to take over control of our lives.
roger

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Exactly!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're one of the people I put on ignore from time to time, for the incessance, rather like sending you to the cloakroom for an hour (my youth in a Chicago area school, poor Richard). I was, of course, never sent to the cloak room, being a goody goody for my first seventeen years. Took me a while to work all that out.

I like plenty of controls - as Dys knew, as we differed on some of that. I've a bias towards building and safety. (Cripes, the Bay Bridge already.) But - I have my get out of our space side.

I realize I'm being incessant on this thread, but Firefly, whom I like, can go on forever and ever and I think she doesn't observe the elephant.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 05:23 pm
Quote:
Batavia school board member Kathy Roberts has resigned.

Roberts has been on the board for 22 years. Her term expires in April 2015.

The school district is giving people until June 7 to apply for an appointment to fill Roberts' post. The school board will select the person June 25.

Applicants must be a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years old, a registered voter, a resident of Illinois and a resident of the school district for at least one year before the date of appointment.

Submit letters of interest and resumes by 4 p.m. June 7 to board secretary Lisa Hichens, at [email protected] or to school headquarters at 335 W. Wilson St.

Roberts' resignation comes after an April election in which three experienced trustees did not run. Remaining members Cathy Dremel and Gregg Hodge were elected in 2011; Tina Bleakley was appointed to fill a vacancy in 2012, and then was elected in 2013.

Besides new board members, the district will also have a new superintendent starting July 1. Hichens will take over for Jack Barshinger, who is retiring.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130517/news/705179729/

Quote:
BATAVIA – Batavia High School science teacher Margaret Humphrey said she was disappointed that the School District 101 board voted Tuesday to issue a written warning of improper conduct to high school social studies teacher John Dryden.

Dryden was disciplined for warning his students they had the Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate themselves before answering an in-class survey about emotional and at-risk behavior.

“I feel his name was dragged through the mud,” Humphrey said Wednesday. “The school district was not acting in the best interests of the students.”

Humphrey, who has worked at the high school for 14 years, has resigned, effective June 3. Humphrey said her resignation was triggered not solely because of the survey flap but also because she said there is “distrust between faculty and administration.”

Humphrey’s son is a Batavia High School student, and he filled out the survey. Humphrey said she was concerned about his privacy rights because students’ names were pre-printed on the surveys.

She was not alone. An online petition at www.thepetitionsite.com has garnered more than 8,000 signatures supporting Dryden’s actions.

The Batavia school board voted Tuesday night to authorize a notice of remediation against Dryden. Board member Jon Gaspar was the sole board member to vote “no.”

The notice warned Dryden of improper conduct and the possible consequences thereof. Before the board issued the notice, Batavia Superintendent Jack Barshinger docked Dryden a day’s pay.

http://www.kcchronicle.com/2013/05/29/teachers-former-students-disappointed-over-dryden-flap/a8wat3s/?page=1

the board has 7 members
http://www.bps101.net/board-education-members
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 05:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
7:15 Student and Family Privacy Rights

Survey Requesting Personal Information

School officials and staff members shall not request, nor disclose, the identity of any student who completes any survey or evaluation (created by any person or entity, including the District) containing one or more of the following items:

Political affiliations or beliefs of the student or the student's parent/guardian.
Mental or psychological problems of the student or the student's family.
Behavior or attitudes about sex.
Illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating, or demeaning behavior.

Critical appraisals of other individuals with whom students have close family relationships.
Legally recognized privileged or analogous relationships, such as those with lawyers, physicians, and ministers.
Religious practices, affiliations, or beliefs of the student or the student’s parent/guardian.
Income (other than that required by law to determine eligibility for participation in a program or for receiving financial assistance under such program).

http://policy.bps101.net/book-page/715-student-and-family-privacy-rights

am i missing something or did this district violate its own policy by giving this screening?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 05:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

social emotional learning...am I the only one who is pissed that this state has decided that it has the right to monitor and "correct" our emotions through its agents?

Schools are the de facto gateway for kids to get social services.

Using the schools in this way is not inherently bad; it just confuses the issue about what the school's mission is.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 05:42 pm
Thinking about this on the way home from work, I think Firefly inadvertently identified the probable reason for this survey.

They're under pressure to "do something." They are not, however, under pressure to do something "effective" or to do the right thing.

They just have to have something to point to that shows they made an attempt.

So they may very well understand that the identifiable survey will give skewed results, but they don't care..
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 05:44 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Schools are the de facto gateway for kids to get social services.

Using the schools in this way is not inherently bad; it just confuses the issue about what the school's mission is.

i am ok with "if you have questions or want help come see us", I am not however fine with authorities rifling through our consciousness looking for people to give an attitude adjustment to.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 05:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think schools used to be used more as propaganda machines for the government than they are now.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 05:52 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Thinking about this on the way home from work, I think Firefly inadvertently identified the probable reason for this survey.

They're under pressure to "do something." They are not, however, under pressure to do something "effective" or to do the right thing.

They just have to have something to point to that shows they made an attempt.

So they may very well understand that the identifiable survey will give skewed results, but they don't care..

it is not logical to assume that they dont care about hurting themselves, in this case by degrading the trust of the stake holders in the system. that would argue stupidity. so does the violating of their own policy.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 05:55 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I think schools used to be used more as propaganda machines for the government than they are now.

some of us however would like schools to at least make an attempt to carry one with what used to be their mission, that being education. propaganda is in direct opposition to education.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 05:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh, I definitely think that it exhibits a distinct lack of professionalism, perhaps to the level of laziness and/or incompetence.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 06:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
social emotional learning...am I the only one who is pissed that this state has decided that it has the right
to monitor and "correct" our emotions through its agents?

I'm of two minds on this.....

I think the school can have a role in this. After all, kids social and emotional life happens mostly at school.

I've seen it done wrong and I've seen it done right and the difference is astonishing.

I think what bothers me most about this kind of survey is it shows such a basic distrust of children and families. It kind of smacks of "See! We're doing something!" while they're really just handing out more paperwork.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 06:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sounds like that school district may be run by a bunch of old farts, which is why they're retiring or not running again.
Quote:
Dryden was disciplined for warning his students they had the Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate themselves before answering an in-class survey..

No that wasn't exactly why he was reprimanded, and you know that--he did more than that. He told the students he wouldn't answer the questions honestly, and he wouldn't give answers that "could get you in trouble". So he was promoting dishonesty, he was sabotaging the testing program, he was casting aspersions on the motives of those doing the testing, and he was falsely implying the student's could "incriminate" themselves by their answers, which was untrue.

If you had something, like a meal special, that you were trying out at your restaurant, and one that you had worked on for a long time and were quite proud of, and one of the patrons asked one of your waiters if it was safe to eat, because he was concerned about the mushrooms in it, and the waiter answered, "Well, I wouldn't eat that stuff" and, "It's safer not to eat anything in here that could possibly make you ill," how would you deal with that employee? He'd implied you might be serving bad food, and he'd undermined consumer confidence in your eating establishment, and he wasn't showing much respect for you. Don't tell me you wouldn't fire the guy, Hawkeye. You wouldn't admire him for telling the patron he wouldn't eat your food, or that the patron should be careful about trying your new special because it could possibly make him ill . In effect, that's the same sort of thing the teacher did with his students regarding the testing. And you know you'd fire someone like that--you've fired people for a lot less, as you told us in another thread. So, I'm really surprised that you, of all people, are defending this teacher.

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 06:10 pm
As to the school's "code of conduct" regarding zero tolerance of drugs and drinking -- I imagine every high school in America has always had a student handbook that mentions kids shouldn't do drugs and drink. A lot of high schools test athletes for drugs and alcohol.

That doesn't seem to stop kids from doing drugs and drinking.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 06:20 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
No that wasn't exactly why he was reprimanded, and you know that-

since you want to be exact: he we punished for an alleged pattern of mis behavior, which the board will not talk about, after a process where so far as I can see the accused was not allowed to defend himself. the boss does say that denigrating this screening was part of this pattern but at the moment my brain cant get beyond what appears to be the fact that the order to pass out this screening was an illegal order because the screening violated district policy.

the boss sent out a letter asserting that we should trust that the facts were found and that they did the right thing. no way. this is not how democratic societies are run.