Need advice on buying the right computer i have a lot of specification

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 08:45 pm
I work from home taking inbound calls for a satellite TV provider and we are now transitioning to a different type of system and there are new pc requirements that my current pc no longer meets. can someone please give me a good suggestion on what make and model desktop or laptop I can get that meets these requirements, P.S I’m looking for the absolute cheapest option and I live I Oklahoma city, ok I am willing to buy online and would appreciate any suggestions on legitimate financing options
• 3.0 GHZ Processor (minimum of a Pentium 4 processor or equivalent processor running at a clock speed of 3.0 GHZ)
• 2 GB of RAM for Windows XP, Vista users* or Windows 7 users
• 12 GB of Available Hard drive space
• PC must have a vendor manufactured date less than six years in age as some older models are not compatible with our secure environment (Example: If today's date is 1/1/2012, the PC manufacture date should be no older than 1/1/2006)
• Must have an available USB 2.0 port with all unnecessary peripheral items ( i.e. cameras, printers, game controllers, webcams, etc.) removed during work hours.
• USB 3.0 ports are not supported.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 718 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 05:43 am
@clueless1117,
There are, I am sure, a lot of major computer or appliance type stores like Best Buy where you might be able to get some sales help (although I recognize that sometimes they're kinda useless) and maybe some financing although the terms are likely not to be too great.

You should also look on Amazon as they do sell computers. I'm looking at your specs and I think they are for older computers; you don't necessarily need to get the absolutely newest-ever model. However, if you exceed the specs a bit, I think you'll find you've got a faster and far less frustrating bit of hardware.

I saw this one on Amazon. It's $610.

Quote:
Processor 3.6 GHz A-Series Dual-Core A6-5400K
RAM 6 GB SDRAM DDR3
Hard Drive 1024 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor ATI Radeon
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 4
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2
--
Other Technical Details
Brand Name HP
Series Pavillion
Item model number P7-1490
Operating System Windows 8
Item Dimensions L x W x H 20.55 x 19.61 x 10.31 inches
Processor Brand AMD
Hard Drive Rotational Speed 7200 RPM

This is just the hard drive and is not the mouse, keyboard, printer, cables or other peripherals.

Another option is eBay; make sure to only deal with highly-rated sellers where satisfaction is high - pay attention to how buyers have rated them. But that may be another source, and you might be able to get a refurbished bargain.

But keep in mind, older machines will get harder and harder to keep up as your company's software is updated, which it inevitably will be.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 06:02 am
@clueless1117,
Computers are commodities now. Just go buy one.

Most (if not all) new computers will meet these specs. If I were buying a computer like this, I would look for a used one at craigslist which would be cheaper, but you might want to have a tech savvy friend to help you if you decide to do this. Buying the thing is easy, but making sure it is configured correctly with no viruses takes a little expertise.

The two things that will make you happy are memory which is very cheap and really helps performance (so buy a few more GBs) and a good screen (which is expensive but will make working a lot more comfortable).
0 Replies