upgrading outlook express question

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:17 pm
My current version of Outlook express gives me an error when I try to open it now. If I download a newer version, will I lose all the address information I had in my address book with the corrupt version? Or will it just automatically import my old addresses? I'm using Mac OS 9.

thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Monger

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:35 pm
It should work fine with an upgraded version, but I wouldn't take a chance. Copy your address book to another safe location before upgrading. On PCs the address book file uses the extension ".wab" (or sometimes Outlook Express shares contacts info with Outlook, in which case the data would be in a ".pst")....not sure where or how the files are kept on Macs, but yeah be safe & back it up before changing anything.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:50 pm
On PCs you can go to:

File > Export > Address Book and export a CSV file that you can import later from File > Import

On PCs you can also chech the location of all your messages and folder data by going to:

Tools > Options > Maintenance > Store Folder

I usually do the following when backing up outlook express:

1) Export address book to CSV

2) Copy all files from the store folder to a safe location

Then if I want to restore, I import the address book and just copy the saved store folder files back to the store folder.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 01:12 am
I can't even open the old version to get the old adresses. I guess I'll just have to install the new one and hope for the best.

Thanks
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 01:32 am
But you should be able to find the address book in a folder somewhere...shouldn't you?

You're already using a Mac, so why on earth would you want to use Microsoft crap?

Your address book should still be there I would think.

Does this site help at all? I don't know what other Microcrap products you have. If the answer is "none" then this site won't help.

Microcrap's Web Site
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:36 am
Windows Address Book files have the extension ".wab" or as mentioned ".pst". Do a search for folders with those extensions, then either "Export" the files as may be appropriate in your situation, or open the folder in Wordpad or some other text editor, print it out, and manually re-enter the info in the addressbook of the new mail client when you get it installed. It is possible, however, that installing a new Outlook Express mail client will fix the problem by itself; the error may be due to a corrupted file or registry entry that the upgrade will repair. With Windows, Add/Remove programs should also give you the option to "Repair" Outlook Express. That's prolly a good place to start, if you can do it on a Mac. Dunno if thats possible with Macs, though, I've never tried it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:29 am
Well, I installed a new version last night and imported the files I had in my "identities" folder, which is what the installer told me would work, but somehow it only imported a bunch of stuff from 2001, which is practically all worthless and out of date. One of the files in the identities folder was corrupted though, a file called "data", which I am guessing had all my address book data in it.

I installed AOL Instant messenger last week. I bet that's the problem. Every time I've ever used anything AOL, strange problems start happening with other software that worked fine before. AOL sucks! I should never have gone against my AOL sucks policy.

Oh well. When I get home tonight I'll look around for the files you guys were talking about. Thanks.

Caprice, I don't know why, I just always used Outlook Express. What's a good e-mail program for Macs?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 12:48 pm
k.c.: Personally I've always used Eudora...before there ever was such a thing as Outlook Express! I know for PC's it works great, but I have no idea if there are any issues with Mac users. If you're willing to give it a look, here is the URL for download information.

http://www.eudora.com/download/
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 12:49 pm
P.S.

From what I recall of using a Mac, the file names are not going to be the same as what they are for a P.C.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 12:53 pm
Hmmm, you try it, Kicky, and let me know, heh... (I have Mac OS 9.1).

I am suc a naif, I don't know if you can have two email programs..
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 01:18 pm
I used to use two different e-mail programs at one time. Each for a different e-mail address however.
And this was on a P.C.
0 Replies