Did Jesus Actually Exist?

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 04:20 pm
@neologist,
Oh, keep your idiotic, self-serving theological propaganda to yourself.
neologist

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 04:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I, responding to Setanta wrote:
Quote:
the kingdom of God is within you.

Don't be cooked in the language lasagna . Jesus was referring to himself as the representative of the kingdom. He truly was in their midst.
Naaaa. Lasagna is right on this. The Kingdom as imagined by Jesus is within each and everyone of us. Or as the Beatles said: "You better free you mind instead".
". . . Thy kingdom come . . ."Remember that? This is the kingdom to which Jesus was referring: " “And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite; . ." (Daniel 2:44)

Explain to me how that kingdom can be within any individual. Your preachers have failed you if they have elected to withhold the fact that the kingdom is a real government.
neologist

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 04:41 pm
@Setanta,
Sorry, Set. I didn't know you liked lasagna.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 04:44 pm
Only the tyupical, tortured exegete would attempt to use the obscure maundering of an alleged prophet to explain the words of someone who was born six hundred years later.
neologist

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 04:54 pm
@Setanta,
OOHH! The torture!!
It's that Paul fellow. He made me say it.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 05:29 pm
@neologist,
Daniel might have envisioned a real kingdom, and some of Jesus' disciples no doubt looked for something like that. If we believe the gospels and see Jesus as a man, he himself hesitated between the two, or the three options: between a 'mind revolution', a political one, or a new world ushered in by God. Or a combination of them.

My own take is he had his own expectations, contradictions and evolutions on the issue of the kingdom, but that overal he trusted God and men more than politics. I.e. I doubt he was thinking of a human kingdom headed by himself. He must have known he was no monarch material.
Setanta

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 05:33 pm
@neologist,
Paul is responsible for a good many bad things in religion, but i don't think we can blame him for you.
neologist

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 05:43 pm
@Setanta,
Right about that, Set. You would have to blame the matrimonial activities of a refrigeration salesman with a second generation Lithuanian immigrant.
neologist

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 05:44 pm
@Olivier5,
He taught what his father told him, nothing of his own.
Setanta

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 05:48 pm
@neologist,
TMI
Olivier5

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 06:42 pm
@neologist,
If you believe it... I don't.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 06:42 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

TMI

Three Mile Island???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 06:51 pm
Too much information . . .
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 06:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Historical footnote as to what happened to the three main Jewish sects after the onset of the Diaspora, following the razing of the Temple in 70 c.e.: The Saducees, of course, ceased to exist, as they had been inextricably connected with worship in the temple; the Pharisees evolved into modern Judaism (they had always been rabbinically focused); and most of the Essenes accepted Christianity.

You forgot the schleppers that came to the U.S. and promulgated the bagel with a schmear.
Foofie

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 06:57 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

It's an interesting hypothesis, but I doubt we have much to buttress it. Very little is know of the Essenes.

Perhaps, they evolved into some of the patrons at Starbucks? Leading a simple life in semi-darkness.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 07:04 pm
@Olivier5,
He said so. What should we believe?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 07:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes izzy, facts are very important to me.

For the umpteenth time, I'm not a Christian, and I don't particularly follow the teachings ascribed to him. Hopefully I won't have to remind you of this fact ever again.

The man existed.

Jimmy Hoffa is not buried under the 50 yard line of Giant Stadium.

George Bush didn't order the destruction of the Twin Towers on 9/11

Neil Armstrong actually stood on the moon.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 07:17 pm
@Foofie,
I've no problem what-so-ever with people trying to determine who the factual Jesus really was.

I'm very sure that he was something more or less than what the Bible tells us.

My problem is with people who argue that he never existed.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 07:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Yes izzy, fact are very important to me.

That's why Einstein couldn't feel comfortable with quantum mechanics. Too much uncertainty, I thought.

But what if the "facts" are just the facts that the masses are supposed to believe in? Your facts could have clay feet, so to speak?

Try commiserating with the pagans that were told that their clay idols were not really gods. Talk of disappointment. And you value facts. You must be a very important person to be so emphatic about facts and what you value.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 07:22 pm
@Foofie,
I am a very important person.