I need to interview someone of a different culture

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 03:28 pm
@Stephy2012,
I am German/Mexican/Irish with a dash of French.

I therefore make a very efficient Bratwurst con carne, serve it with Guinness and have a penchant for surrendering.
Stephy2012

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 03:38 pm
@contrex,
May I ask where you are from?
0 Replies

Stephy2012

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 03:40 pm
@glitterbag,
Typical, as In, I am not living in America with the cultural values of a different country.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 04:11 pm
@Stephy2012,
That doesn't help. I just explained that customs and culture differ wildly within our own borders.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 05:40 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
a penchant for surrendering.

Dick.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 07:27 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Contrex is humorless.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 08:28 pm
@glitterbag,
Ahem, I've grown to like Contrex, as it happens. I also like you and of course the lordywhatsitworth.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 08:30 pm
@ossobuco,
On the different culture, I am guessing the assignment implied or stipulated it was supposed to be an interview of someone not from the U.S. (or maybe not)
Stephy2012

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 10:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes. Someone not from the U.S.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 10:47 pm
@Stephy2012,
Well that makes it much easier. You should have asked for a person living in another part of the world. Since the US, Canada, Australia, Great Britain and New Zealand are English speakers as well as close allies, you might want to stretch a little outside of those 5 countries. I'm not saying all 5 are identical, there are many differences, but you can find others that might fit your bill.
Ceili

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 12:55 am
I'm a canuck. I'll attempt to answer your questions.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 02:09 am
@glitterbag,
Contrex does have a very well developed sense of humour, which is probably why he doesn't find racist jokes amusing.
Setanta

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 02:17 am
@Lordyaswas,
Hehehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 03:10 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Contrex does have a very well developed sense of humour, which is probably why he doesn't find racist jokes amusing.

I like to think I also have something of a penchant for accuracy which is why I find all those dumb, mainly US-originated "For sale: French rifle, only dropped once" so-called jokes so irritating. (My uncle was at Kasserine in 1943 and helped pick up a number of genuinely dropped American rifles, but that's another story). The French army in 1940 was fought to a standstill by the Wehrmacht after an invasion and a series of hard-fought battles in which they suffered 85,310 killed, 12,000 missing, 120,000 wounded and 1,540,000 taken prisoner.

Beginning on 10 May 1940, the battle consisted of two main operations. In the first operation, Fall Gelb (Case Yellow), German armoured units pushed through the Ardennes to cut off and surround the Allied units that had advanced into Belgium. When British and adjacent French forces were pushed back to the sea by the highly mobile and well organised German operation, the British government decided to evacuate the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) as well as several French divisions at Dunkirk in Operation Dynamo.

After the withdrawal of the BEF, Germany launched a second operation, Fall Rot (Case Red), which was commenced on 5 June. While the depleted French forces put up stiff initial resistance, German air superiority and armoured mobility gradually overwhelmed the remaining French forces. German armour outflanked the Maginot Line and pushed deep into France with German forces arriving in an undefended Paris on 14 June. This caused a chaotic period of flight for the French government and effectively ended organized French military resistance. German commanders finally met with French officials on June 18 with the goal of the new French government being an armistice with Germany. At this point further resistance was not only a bad idea, it was also in practical terms, impossible.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 03:44 am
@glitterbag,
Seems that Germany didn't count here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 04:34 am
There has always been this snide attitude on the part of the English about American military performance in the second world war. It seems they thought the Americans should just take their instructions from the Imperial General Staff, and keep their mouths shut. In fact, in The Rommel Papers, edited by B. H. Liddell-Hart and Frau Rommel, Rommel, referring to the Kasserine campaign, complains about the lack of initiative on the part of his own subordinate commanders and is full of praise for the quality of the American commanders at regimental level and below. He comments that they showed great initiative, and employed their inferior resources as fully as possible.

There wasn't a British field commander of high rank worth a damn, other than Field Marshall Harold Alexander. Montgomery ought to have been put on trial for murder for his pig-headed hubris nnd negligence.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 04:46 am
Obviously I shouldn't have mentioned the 5 allies, did not intend to state the US was similar to the other four. Having said that, I think Walter might be your best bet, since there doesn't appear to be any members who are citizens of Korea, Russia, Lithuania, Romania or Israel. Can we just not fight about an Americans view that dissimilarity between 5 English speaking countries isn't as steep compared to non west leaning countries. Actually, Germany is also an ally, with legal ties to Great Britian and the US. I've forgotten how many countries are NATO members.
saab

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 05:37 am
@glitterbag,
You refer to allies but the question ia about different culture.
Even thou Germany and GB are allies they are different in culture.
Germany and the Scandinavian countries view USA differently. and have also a somewhat different culture.
Even the Scandinavian countries are different.
There are 28 Nato members.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 07:05 am
I think that culture consists of quite a few different factors. And I don't think that there's a "German culture" .... besides common clicheś and prejudices.
saab

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 07:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I certainly realize and also know that there a quite few different factors in culture which also influence people. It is not common cliches and prejudices.
For Germans Goethe is very important whereas in Scandinavia he is just another good author in the world litterature.

Christmas traditions vary within Scandinavia and are different to the German traditions.
I could list many things and non have to do with prejudices, but in my eyes make things more interesting.

Denmark has a cultural kanon where the things of importance are listed.
Architekture, Paintings, Design, Film, Litterature, Musik, Popular musik, Theatre and children´s cultural kanon.
These things have influenced the Danes over generations and problaby the majority of non Danes have not even heard about certain things listed. Just as I do not know all the things which is culture in other countries.
Forget IKEA, but the way a house is furnished differes in different countries, that is also a part of daily culture.
0 Replies