Libya - the next big holiday destination?

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:10 pm
This week UK's PN Tony Blair has been to Libya, bussiness seems to have started already shortly afterward - will now Libya become THE new tourist attraction for (European) holiday makers?

It's an alcohol free country, and credit cards are fairly unknown - no chance for going in a Club Mediterranee :wink:

But there really are some highlights - e.g. Libya's classical heritage - and it's not widely known that the country has five United Nations "world heritage sites":

Archaeological Site of Leptis Magna

Archaeological Site of Sabratha

Archaeological Site of Cyrene

Rock-art Sites of Tadrart Acacus

Old Town of Ghadames

It will still be not very easy to get visas - but think of the big reputation being one of the first mass-tourists there :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,338 • Replies: 10
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 04:57 pm
LYBIA
found a website with good info and pix about lybia. individual visas cannot be obtained yet (but probably won't be long), however "grouptravel" can be arranged. anyone ready to go ? i believe it really is quite a beautiful and interesting country. having had only a very brief visit to tunesia and marocco (the museums were wonderful - and so was countryside), i have no doubt that lybia also is an interesting country. hbg >>>LYBIA
0 Replies

libyangurl

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 05:16 pm
hi,
i am a new libyan member and i was very interested in what i saw about Libya. To be honest i always thought that Libya was a boring old country a few years ago. i only go for visits because i live in the UK. anyway when i went again after about 5 years, i have got to say that there was an incredible improvement, there were much more places to visit , and there was a special air to the country at night. it is defenitly a country i hope you all get the chance to visit, and a place i cant wait to go and live in
libyan gurl xxxx
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:38 pm
Thanks for your response, libyangurl,

and welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

FCDB

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:51 pm
It's not difficult to get a visa, as long as you're with a group and as long as you're "invited" to Libya. With travel companies totally not a problem!

Check this thread of a Dutch forum for pictures of Libya made by a tourist who travelled to Libya with a group:
http://forum.fok.nl/topic/555272
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:04 pm
You can travel to Libya on your own - see e.g. HERE
0 Replies

median

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:47 am
Hello,
although this forum seems to be dead I would have a question: how can we travel to Libya on our own? We are two only and it means we are not a group (group must be more than 4 people). What can we do?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:29 pm
median : welcome to a2k ! hope you'll stay around and have some fun here.
a travel agent should be able to find you a place in a travelgroup.
if group-travel through a north-american agency is not available yet, there are plenty of british travel-agents who arrange such travel. you should have no trouble signing on. thomas cook comes to mind - they have offices in canada, probably in the united states too.
let us know what you find out. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:39 pm
lybia
here is a german travel agency with plenty of lybia choices. your local travel agent should be able to book you with such a tour.
if you google for "lybia group travel" you'll find plenty of offers.
good luck ! hbg
0 Replies

median

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:40 am
Hi,
thank you for your help I find it excellent idea! We will see how it will everything end up. In March we leave from South Africa for Libya hoping to get to Libya (or maybe Jordan? We will see the possibilities..) in december 2006. We will be very long time on the road:) Btw. we are from Czech Republic. If you would be interested you can check (this is not spam because I do not get any money for my private web site) my web EDIT (Moderator): Link Removed) where beginning March I will start writting about our journey. Thanks for help, I hope it will be OK and we will survive african continent:)

PS: this forum is fine, happy to have discovered it
hamburger

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:04 pm
@median,
and here we have secretary rice "visiting" libya !

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/09/06/alg_condi-rice.jpg

(MUAMMAR is on the right !)

Quote:
US Libya relations in 'new phase'

Condoleezza Rice meets Colonel Gaddafi

Relations between the US and Libya have entered a "new phase", according to US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Speaking after a historic meeting with Libyan leader, Muammar Gaddafi, she said the talks were very fruitful.

A cultural exchange agreement would be signed, and the US hopes to have an ambassador in Tripoli soon, she said.

Ms Rice added that progress had been made by making difficult decisions and by dealing as well as possible with the difficulties of the past.

Security Council

The secretary of state said that the two countries had made progress in concrete ways.

"We are working on a trade investment framework which will improve the climate for investment, which I know many American firms want to do," Ms Rice said.

"We are co-operating on Libya's membership of the security council of the United Nations," she said, although she pointed out that discussions were in the early stages.

"The relationship (between the US and Libya) has been moving in a good direction for some time but we have a long way to go", she said, adding "we have established a good framework for our relationship."

Ms Rice spent more than two hours in a private meeting with the Libyan leader.

The US Secretary of State said she had sought to reassure Mr Gaddafi about US plans to establish a major base in Africa - known as Africom - saying its purpose was to "help Africans to help themselves" on issues such as peacekeeping.

She repeated that the US did not have "any permanent enemies".

When asked if she had raised human rights issues with Mr Gaddafi, Ms Rice said she had raised cases "in a respectful manner", and emphasised "that it is important to maintain an open dialogue, including on human rights".

Libyan Foreign Mininster Abdel Rahman Shalgam said that Ms Rice's presence was proof that Libya, the US and the world had changed.

However, the BBC's Rana Jawad in Tripoli says it remains unclear what the visit has achieved.

Historic visit

Ms Rice is the first US Secretary of State to visit Libya since 1953.

She met Mr Gaddafi at the same compound in Tripoli which was hit in US bombing raids ordered by Ronald Reagan in 1986.

Libya was on the US state department list of sponsors of terrorism until 2003, when it abandoned weapons of mass destruction and renounced terrorism.

Earlier this month, Libya agreed to pay compensation to families of the victims of the Lockerbie aircraft bombing, for which it formally accepted responsibility in the same year.

The deal includes compensation for Libyan victims of the United States' retaliatory bombing raid over Libya in 1986.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/7601519.stm

(a/t MSNBC big american companies have been pushing the U.S. government
to "grease the skids" to enable them to do business in lybia)

anyone packing the suitcase to travel to lybia ?
hbg
0 Replies