Dell Inspiron vs. Dell Latitude

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:50 pm
Hi.

I am looking to get a notebook here within the next couple months for college. I will need a laptop to do the basic stuff (word processing, internet, e-mail, etc.) which I am sure any laptop can handle but I will also be wanted to so some sound editing, C++ programming, and some video gaming.

Which one of these two notebooks would be better: Dell Inspiron 9100 or Dell Latitude D800? Are there any actual benchmarks that show the Pentium-M's 1.6 really outperforming the Pentium4-M's 2.0 or 2.4 ghz chip? Or is that just a marketing piece of information?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,196 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:48 pm
Benchmark Performance between the chips is really a crapshoot. Tests are usually created to compare overall systems based on the same CPU chip - not to compare the differing preformance between chips.

If you use the Winstone 2002 Content Creation benchmark the Pentium-M 1.6 scores in between the Pentium 4 2.4 and 2.66.

The SYSMark 2002 Content Creation benchmark has the same Pentium-M 1.6GHz coming in behind the Pentium 4 1.4GHz chip (The SYSMark Benchmark is optomized to run on the Pentium 4.)

If you look at the Winstone 2002 Business Creation (typical business use) benchmark the Pentium-M 1.6 GHz outperforms the Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ.

The Office Productivity SYSMark 2002 gives the Pentium-M 1.6GHz and the Pentium 4 2.66 GHz the exact same score.

(All of these results are listed here: http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1800 along with lots more good technical info on the Pentium-M )

The big advantage of the Pentium-M is increased battery life because it's optomized for low-power use in laptops.

Either the Dell 9100 or the D800 will do what you've said you need and both are very good machines. The only drawback I see to the 9100 is that it has the wireless network card built in. It is a 802.11b/g card so it'll work with teh current technologies but what happens 2 years from now when 802.11g is superceded by the "next great thing"? (I'm not a big fan of lots of integrated devices in systems btw. Smile )

That's really a pretty minor point though.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 04:58 pm
If draggin' the puppy around is gonna be a frequent deal, I'd go with a P4M machine, and as much RAM as it'll hold and my wallet could stand. If operation is gonna be mostly tethered to an AC line, then cost-vs-features would be the deciding point for me. I'd still favor as much RAM as practical/affordable. Just my two cents, FWIW. Either Dell machine you mention should perform well into the excellent range for a long while to come ... as time is measured in computer performance terms ... coupla years, anyway.
0 Replies