PetStore Riddle: Need Help.

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 02:15 am
I have this unanswered riddle that my sister told me and I STILL can't figure it out...and she wont even tell me!

If anyone knows please help me out. It wont get out of my head!

The riddle is:-
A pet shop had a puppy sale. 2 men entered. The first man put down $10 and the assistant asked for which type of puppy he wanted, an alsation, labrodor or poodle, He choose the poodle. The second guy put down $10 and without uttering a word the shop assisant simply gave him an alsation.

How did shop assistant know what he wanted?

Make sure your answers are specific....I'll post up the answer when I get it!..Or when my sister decides to tell me
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,833 • Replies: 8
No top replies

kev

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 06:59 am
He pointed to it?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:19 am
Nah... Kev, if he'd done that he'd be given a pointer.

Perhaps the labrador's price was more than 10$. (10$ is a pretty damn cheap dog... was this at a shelter?)
0 Replies

chokoholic

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 05:29 pm
No, it was at a pet store and they had a puppy sale.

So, I think that all the puppies were at the same price. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 06:53 am
The second guy had called in the shop the day before and ordered the alsation puppy for tomorrow when the sale is on.

OR

The man was the lady sales assistants brother

OR

He was wearing a security guards uniform with the logo "alsations R us" emblazoned across it.
0 Replies

whimsical

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 11:14 am
In the shop there is a notice which says Poodles $9, labradors $9,50 and alsatians $10.

So when the first man puts a 10 dollar bill on the counter the shopkeeper does not know which dog the man wants and therefore asks him.

The second man puts down a 5 dollar bill 4 dollars and 4 quarters. If he had wanted another dog he wouldn't have put $10 worth of change on the counter.

Whim
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 12:30 pm
Assuming that no nonverbal communication took place (pointing, written message), and that the puppies were all the same price....

1. Because the WOMAN THAT WASN'T MENTIONED when the two men came in bought the Labrador inbetween the two other transactions.

2. Because the Labrador puppy died inbetween the two transactions.

3. Because the second man was a policeman, and Alsatians are police dogs

4. Because the Poodle and the Labrador were siamese twins (same mother-different fathers, obviously not purebred) and although the first man only bought the Poodle, he couldn't leave without taking the unsold Labrador as well.

5. Because the second man is a repeat customer and comes in every day to buy an alsatian (maybe he runs a restaurant?)

6. The labrador was really another alsatian, wearing a labrador disguise.

7. The labrador retriever was out retrieving something when the second man approached.

8. The labrador bit the second man inbetween transactions, so it was obvious he wasn't wanted.

9. Doesn't this pet shop charge tax?

10. The shop owner asked "would you rather have an alsatian, a labrador or a poodle," before he noticed that he had already sold all the labrador puppies. He in fact had NO labradors to begin with, and only one poodle. Therefore by the time of the second transaction, only alsatians remained.

11. The second customer was from Alpha Centauri, and everybody knows Alpha Centaurians only eat alsatians.

12. Because the shop owner recognized the second customer as his KGB courier, and knew that the stolen microfilm was in the alsatian puppy's collar.

13. Because it was a chocolate lab, and the second customer was a known diabetic.
0 Replies

chokoholic

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 01:36 am
I got the answer it is:-
The dogs were differently priced, for example $10 for the Alsatian $9 for the poodle and $8 for the Labrador. The first man gave the shop assistant a $10 bill, and the second man gave the shop assistant a $5 bill and 5 $1 coins.

Thanx everyone for trying!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 01:59 am
Hey! That's what whimsical said.

And welcome to both of you.
0 Replies