Can a dial up account be used anywhere?

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:49 am
I have an internet account in sask, canada. Currently I am in a different town then the place where I set up the account. I'm on a holiday. Is it possible to connect my pc up to the same connection I used in my home town? Or do I have to get a new account here? I've tried dialing up a couple times and it won't work. I thought maybe it was my modem, but am not sure. Any help would be appreciated...thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 835 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 01:53 am
You could dial your sask number, and it would incur toll charges I'm sure. I don't know how the Canadian telco works, but I'm pretty sure it's like Ma Bell in the US.

If you're using a national provider, like AOL, compuserve, msn, or somesuch, they should have access numbers for different parts of your country. I live in Kansas City, and when I went on vacation to Colorado, I just had to look up the local numbers of AOL where we were staying.

Short of it is, if you don't mind paying toll charges, you can dial and connect to that sask number from anywhere.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:09 am
Howdy:

The dial-up number from SaskTel (assuming you are using SaskTel Sympatico) is exactly the same no matter where you are in the province..

I do know it is a toll-free number in Sask, however you may need to put the Sask area code in if you are out of province.

I suggest you call the SaskTel/Sympatico helpdesk and ask them what you are doing wrong or why you can't connect !!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 02:57 pm
Ok, cool. I've been trying to do everything I can to not have to phone them but looks like I may have to break down. The Problem is that my modem won't dial up, i've tried a whack load of things but still nothing.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 08:47 am
Just to add to the complexity - while most parts of the world now have touch tone service, an occasional very backward area might not. I recall in 1995 (and this hopefully has changed by now) trying to dial up in Kentucky (I was on business) and learning that, because their phone service still wasn't touch tone, that the call could not go through. Wherever you are is very likely perfectly fine but that's a tiny thing to keep in mind if you head to some really backward place and try for dial-up service.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:40 am
When you want to find internet access numbers and providers in USA/Canada and worldwide, try THIS SITE
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:53 am
walter that's interesting
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 01:27 pm
Hello again,
I just thought I'd update you all. My PC isn't fixed yet, but I got a really old one given to me and I actually got online with it. It only has windows 95, and 40mb of Ram....lol....but it seems to work ok which is good. I have another question. I'm thinkin about tryin to put windows 98 on here, will it hurt anything if I run the cd, but it doesn't install completely...kinda thing? (I know, i'm probably hard to understand)
0 Replies