Has anyone here seen the movie "Mud"?

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 06:51 pm
I thought the movie had a very interesting take on men/masculinity and I'd like to hear what others think.

It was really cool that all of the principal caregivers in the movie were men and that the men were all much more relatable than the women were. It was nice to see a movie where the men weren't all dumb hulks who couldn't relate to kids; a movie where a dad told his son he loved him without it being some big tearjerker moment.

It was the first movie I've seen in a while where the men seemed to care about other people more than the women did.

It was interesting. It was a refreshing take on men.

If you've seen it I'd love to know if you were as struck by the men in the movie as much as I was.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,297 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 07:31 pm
Yes, I saw it.

I thought it to be more of a coming of age movie for the boys, to me.

The main character got a chance to interact with all kinds of men and learn from them. He was able to straighten out some mixed messages from the men around him, even seemed to internalize some old fashioned morals.

And the very end scene, he realizes that life isn't so bad after all.

A good movie, but not great.
boomerang

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 07:07 am
@PUNKEY,
Yeah -- definitely a coming of age movie.

I just thought it was a different perspective of men than most movies have.

I'm trying to remember any other movie where a man gives another male a book on self confidence to help him get a girlfriend, not a book on how to "score", not a book on "what women want" -- that sort of thing.

There were just some little things scattered through the movie that seemed.... different.... in the way they showed men's relationships.

I agree -- good but not great. I thought it was a little slow. Mo loved it -- much more than I did.
0 Replies