What type of solar cells should I use in my science project?

Swapnil

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 02:17 am
I wanna make a science project in which I'll power small fans by solar cells.
But I don't know what type of solar cells should I use.
Also, I wanna know if I can get a fan of extremely small size to be used in the circuit
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,237 • Replies: 10
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 02:52 am
This school project is to help you learn research skills as well as doing practical work. You need to do more than just ask questions on forums. Read about electricity specifically voltage and current. Then do some web searches to find a cheap fan and determine the voltage and current it needs, then research solar cells to find one with the correct rating.

Hint: type things like small fan, battery fan, tiny fan, low power fan into Google.

Maybe you mean this kind of thing

http://www.chinavendors.com/upload/cvo/product/usb-adjustable-fan-0000037913-L.jpg

and this

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/136/508/603/603508136_791.jpg

Swapnil

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 03:50 am
@contrex,
The solar panels are very expensive.
Can't I get the ones used in solar calculators? How much energy will they provide?
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 04:16 am
@Swapnil,
now youre thinking. Why not make your own solar cells from some old fashioned tech that can be "painted" on a surface. (Cu2). ZnS.CdS,TiO2. "stacked cemicals etc)

Setanta

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 04:19 am
This may well be call and response spam, based on this member's other "contributions" to this site.
Swapnil

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 04:40 am
@farmerman,
I don't have enough time for that. I've only 4 days left & many of my other homeworks are also pending.
Anyways, I wanted to ask that a solar cell of what voltage will be sufficient to turn a small hobby motor?
Please help me, time's running out. . .
0 Replies

Swapnil

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 04:41 am
@Setanta,
So it's because of my less contributions that I'm not getting much replies?
0 Replies

Swapnil

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 05:00 am
@farmerman,
Also, should I use rechargable batteries or directly connect the terminals of the solar cells to the circuit?
What's better for a class-presentation?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 05:46 am
@Swapnil,
Small computer fans will work well for your project. They are 12v and don't require a lot of power. They will cost about $5.
You can even pull them out of an old computer or borrow a case fan from your current computer.
http://fursuit.tanidareal.com/daiquiri/material/12v-fan.jpg

Then you only need to find a solar cell that has the same wattage/amperage to power the fan. This will cost you about $20-40.
One similar to this will work.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/6wpanel.html

The fan may work at a slower speed if you don't have enough light for your solar cell or it may not function at all. That is up to you to find out which it does and why .
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 05:55 am
I don't really see this as a science project any more than purchasing a flashlight would be.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 06:02 am
@Swapnil,
This kit does what you want but you've mentioned you want to do it yourself and you probably don't have time to do a kit anyway. What you need is a small motor, a little fan blade to attach to it (like the one in the link) and a hobby solar panel that generates the same voltage as the motor. Do the following search: HOBBY SOLAR CELLS. That should give you all the hits you need to research this project. Where are you posting from? Given that you have four days, you need to find a hobby electronics store ASAP. If you went into a specialty store they could probably help you with this. A place like Radio Shack has the parts but not the expertise but since they are everywhere you might be able to get what you need. Thissix volt panel costs $10 but would probably run a 6v motor with a fan attached without a problem.
0 Replies