Conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy

Swapnil

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 06:02 am
I wanna make a working-model of science in which, on punching a wooden block, the mechanical energy created by the vibrations, gets converted into electrical energy.
But I don't know which tool will I have to use to convert the vibrations into electricity.
I need help on that
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,519 • Replies: 4
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 06:14 am
@Swapnil,
This is a difficult thing to do.

The easiest way to turn mechanical energy into electrical energy is by moving a magnet through an electric field, which doesn't work so well when the displacement (i.e. the distance that the wooden block moves while it is vibrating) is so small.

You may be looking for is a piezoelectric material. Piezoelectric refers to converting stress into electricity. You can buy piezoelectric disks, however they are very inefficient. The amount of electrical energy you will get from them is very small. They are generally used for detecting pressure, not for generating energy.

This will show the concept, but as you can guess, when you punch a wooden block almost all of the energy is converted into sound and heat and then lost into the air.
Swapnil

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 06:29 am
@maxdancona,
Okay, so what if I make a wheel & an axle, & by rotating the axle I get electricity?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 06:41 am
@Swapnil,
That is much easier. Such an apparatus is called a "generator".

Google "how to make a generator" and you will get lots of different designs. Basically they all involve spinning magnets through a looped wire. But I will let you find a basic design from the many pretty good pages on google.
Swapnil

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 06:34 am
@maxdancona,
Please post on the thread -
able2know.org/topic/213517-2#post-5318155
I need advice for my new technique.
0 Replies