Can I Just Pay Someone to Build This Thing? I'm At Wits End!

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 07:10 pm
Okay, I have a host, I have a domain name that I think is changed now to direct to my host site, I even have pages built in Frontpage. I know how I want it to look but getting all of the hyperlinks in, let alone all of the other stuff is driving me mad.

I think I just spent two weeks on this and messed up my folders... Pages are not in separate folders. Are they supposed to be or is that right? My index page is blank, although I thought I was building my home page with the first page I made, but I think it is actually the second page.

I have five pages, but nothing shows up in Navigation even after I thought I linked them. I did the "shared borders" was that wrong?

I have read and re-read and now Front Page for Dummies is making me really feel dumb.

Can I just send all the info (domain name, host info, logo, images, etc) to someone here and get this done? Anyone willing towork cheap... I mean help out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 969 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 07:18 pm
squinney,

The type of work that needs to be done makes a big difference. There are some sites I can build in 1 hour and some that take several thousand hours and many expletives.

Do you have a database driven site? Will you be using a cart or some ecommerce that needs to be done?

How many pages?

Most web designers/hosts would do it cheaply if you host with them, so that's a barganing chip you might want to use.

For example, I'd do a 5-10 page site very cheaply if it were hosted with me, as I could recoup the initiall loss.

Right now, I'm giving you advice on how to get a cheap site, because I don't think this is the best place to actually get offers (simply not enough web masters around and the ones that are are laregely unknowns and you can get screwed).

If you'd like, I can PM you some links to places where you can have people bid on this kind of work. IMO, you shouldn't pick a designer from a forum unless you can gauge their abilities and trust them.

Welcome to a creepy underworld (well at least one in which there is large variance in ethics and quality)!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:03 pm
Hey, Craven.

Oops, I guess I'm still thinking of the "family" feel I get from here since I do feel like many here are family. Forgot about the "strangers."

Actually, the design is done. I have the background, logo, frames, images and everything in place. It's basically a main page with mini-sites that follow for each of the five products. I just can't get the whole navigation / folder thing figured out.

I tried to figure out how to take a page picture to show what I'm talking about with the folders, but can't get the view folders to show up.

I signed up for hosting through a hosting site I mentioned at the end of my previous post on this topic. Maybe I'll check with them tomorrow.

Sorry, I'm just so frustrated! I usually learn things fairly quickly and I still feel like I'm in a foreign country after a month of working on it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:49 pm
Squinney,

I can spend a few minutes (like less than 30) helpin ya out for free. I wish I could do more (there was a time when I'd have done the whole thing for free for a friend) but I have several large web design projects and every minute I spend on other things makes me feel like I'm not doing my best for them.
0 Replies