Rolf Harris named as sex offence suspect

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 12:25 am
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/2013/04/19/14/50/rolf-harris-named-as-sex-offence-suspect

Investigating 11 men in total, British News has just released statement that Rolf Harris has been named as one of those suspects.

Brings "Two Little Boys"and "I'm Jake the Peg with the Extra Leg" a whole new meaning if it pans out that he is arrested and charged.

Still remember singing away to his songs as a kid.... So many achievements in life, from 14 years of age onwards.

Tell me it isn't so......................
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,044 • Replies: 22
No top replies

cherrie

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 01:29 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Nothing has been proven yet.
I used to love his instant paintings, when you couldn't see what it was till the last minute. All his songs were pretty catchy, although he should have left 'Stairway to Heaven' alone.
I suppose we will have to just wait and see how this all pans out.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 01:59 am
@cherrie,
True. Connections to :-

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/savile-victims-launch-legal-action-in-uk/story-e6frfmqi-1226577652851

Do not make him guilty... however 31 people suing against Savile, suggests that Harris's name came into that investigation however, not spanning over the alledged decades from Savile.

Fairfax Media has not been able to independently confirm the arrested man's identity.

Advertisement When the front gate intercom was rung at the entertainer's house, a sleepy-voiced Mr Harris answered.

Asked if he had any comment on The Sun’s story, he replied "no comment" and rung off.

The Sun reports that Rolf Harris has been arrested for sex abuse. Photo: Screen grab, thesun.co.uk
The only sign of activity at the house was Harris’ dog, who came to the gate to watch the gathering media.

The Sun, the sister paper to the now defunct and discredited News of the World, reported that Harris was arrested on March 28, two days before his 83rd birthday, over alleged offences not linked to TV presenter Savile. Police have revealed that Savile, who died in 2011, abused hundreds of children and women over a 54-year period.

Police first raided Harris' Berkshire home on November 24 last year, but he was not at home, The Sun said. He was interviewed under caution on November 29 after attending a South London police premises by appointment.

After The Sun published the story, the news was reported by Sky News Australia.

Harris has performed several gigs and appeared on television since emerging as a suspect, The Sun reported. It is understood Harris vehemently denies any wrongdoing.

Scotland Yard has not publicly named the Australian entertainer.

Fairfax Media understands that most of the London media were waiting on each other to name Harris, because of heightened legal fears after the phone hacking scandal which also looked at informal communications between police and newspapers.

A well-connected media blogger, 'Guido Fawkes', said several newsrooms had confirmed the name after the first arrest last year. However, they were concerned that publishing the name could trigger a raid by police trying to identify 'leaks' within the Metropolitan Police.

At the time of the arrest on March 28, a Scotland Yard spokesman said a pensioner from Berkshire, west of London, was one of 11 people arrested so far under Operation Yewtree, which is investigating people linked to Savile.

The spokesman said there were three categories of people subject to the investigation: Savile himself, people close to the presenter and "others".

The then 82-year-old was in the last category which "is generally people who were in the public spotlight at around that time", the spokesman said.

Police stressed that last month's arrest was not connected to the specific allegations made against Savile.

The arrested man was bailed to a date in May, pending further inquiries.

Harris, a veteran artist, musician and entertainer, has been a regular fixture on television screens since he signed with the BBC in 1953. His musical hits include Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport, in which he played a wobble board instrument, Jake The Peg and Two Little Boys.

Generations of Britons grew up watching Harris' work, which includes Rolf's Cartoon Club, Rolf on Art, and Animal Hospital.

In 2005, he was commissioned by the BBC to paint a portrait of the Queen to celebrate her 80th birthday. The accompanying programme, The Queen by Rolf, was watched by an audience of nearly 7 million.

Savile was a hugely popular but eccentric figure, famed for his shock of white hair, tracksuits and chunky gold jewellery, but since his death his reputation has been destroyed by revelations that he abused hundreds of children and women.

He preyed on 450 victims, aged between eight and 47, during his career. Almost a fifth of his victims were boys.

British police said earlier this year in a report into his activities that Savile "groomed the nation" over six decades, hiding behind his fame to assault girls, boys and adult women on BBC premises and in schools and hospitals.

The public broadcaster made Savile one of its biggest stars in the 1970s and 1980s as presenter of BBC TV's Top of the Pops chart show and children's program Jim'll Fix It.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/british-newspaper-reports-rolf-harris-arrested-in-sex-abuse-inquiry-20130419-2i4x9.html#ixzz2QtT6rMdB
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 01:12 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I hope it isn't true. He's always been such a fatherly figure - a 'decent' chap. It didn't surprise me at all when Savile was named as a paedophile, but it would sadden me greatly if it were proved that Rolf Harris had been involved in any sex offence.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:02 am
@vonny,
13 Charges now?

I am thinking that it may be true.............Von.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 03:53 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
http://www.smh.com.au/world/rolf-harris-guilty-the-moment-on-the-witness-stand-he-came-closest-to-convicting-himself-20140701-zsrij.html

Quote:
Rolf Harris guilty: The moment on the witness stand he came closest to convicting himself

Rolf Harris said a lot of odd things on the witness stand.

His excuse for not telling police about some of his sexual encounters with his main accuser – that he was embarrassed by the presence of “very attractive young ladies” on his legal team – was one.

But if there was a moment when Harris came closest to convicting himself, to that mythical ‘you can’t handle the truth’ explosion, it was one particular exchange early in his cross-examination.

Advertisement

It may even have cost him his freedom.

He was sitting on a cushion on a chair in the witness box, puffed with confidence and outrage after explaining, via the gentle questioning of his defence counsel, how his accusers had lied and invented their accusations against him.

Rolf Harris' mugshot.
Rolf Harris' mugshot. Photo: Reuters

Enter prosecutor Sasha Wass QC, with her leather boots and quizzical eyebrows, a thin scalpel of legal acumen.

Once during the trial, a young British reporter leaned over to me during one of Wass’ better

moments and breathed "she’s wonderful!"

She was. Subtly, alternating persuasion and surely-you-must-admit questions, impossibly, inevitably, Wass led Harris into confessing that he had been sexually attracted to a bikini-clad then-13-year old girl, 35 years his junior, the friend of his daughter – and the main accuser in the case against him.

It went like this. Harris had, in a letter, admitted to telling the girl she looked good in a bikini. It was this, he had claimed, that she later warped into an accusation of abuse.

“You were saying to (her) ‘you have got a great body’,” Ms Wass said.

It was just logical. Harris had to agree. Wass moved in for the kill.

“You admired her sexually… Saying ‘your body looks good in a bikini’, that’s a sexual remark.”

“In hindsight I suppose so,” Harris said.

“You admired (her) body sexually during that holiday,” Ms Wass said.

“It’s possible, yes,” Harris said.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/rolf-harris-child-sex-abuse-education-video-surfaces-after-entertainer-found-guilty-in-london-court-20140701-zsrph.html

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 03:56 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Thanks for letting us know.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 04:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
You know as an Aussie, I find this hard as all of us kids, loved his shows, music, him...

He incriminated himself really by writing down his thoughts to his daughter's best friend.

Such a shame and too old to go to Jail in my opinion but, found guilty he destroyed some young children's lives mentally so he doesn't deserve to live a luxury life of fame and honors anymore.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 08:00 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
When I was in my twenties, my brother bought Rolph's album, which included Tie me Kangaroo, Hair oil on Me Ears, Sun Arise, and the like. We played it until we wore it out. Makes me sad that he failed everybody so.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 03:33 am
@edgarblythe,
I was only a wee bit younger:) But I know how you feel... I mentioned before " I'm jake the peg with an extra leg" now I have to wonder about the meaning of that song.. Quite disturbing.

I don't recall Hair oil on me ears ... at all? Tie me Kangaroo was brilliant.

We have another Aussie TV personality that recently also got jailed. I think maybe it's a case of celebrities hide behind their acting/ signing. Some for sad lives and some die of drug overdoses and others, have their sickness, illness and hide but I guess it all comes out in the wash.

With Rolf, he painted the queen imagine how she is feeling now?

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 04:07 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Did he actually do anything, or did he "lust in his heart"?
Maybe hes a skeve , but maybe hes not a sex "Offender"

He just seems to not know how to keep his damned mouth shut on the stand and just answer the question truthfully but not in some self-incriminating detail?

All this cause Im not sure here his actual sex offense was..
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 03:43 pm
@farmerman,
He actually "did more than something" and wrote a letter to one of the victims Father in 1994 I believe, in an attempt to put pressure on him not to ever go to the Police.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-01/rolf-harris-guilty-of-indecently-assaulting-four-girls/5542644

Quote:
However, during the trial Bindi wept as she described the moment she later discovered her father's sexual relationship with her friend.

The prosecutor said key evidence was a letter Rolf Harris wrote to the alleged victim's father in 1997.

It was effectively a confession of child abuse, the prosecutor alleged, and was a calculated attempt to avoid the police being informed.

Video: Look back on the Rolf Harris trial (Photo: AFP - Niklas Halle'n) (ABC News)

The defence said the letter was consistent with Harris's claim of a 10-year affair.

"I fondly imagined that everything that had taken place had progressed from a feeling of love and friendship," Rolf Harris wrote in the letter.

"There was no rape, no physical forcing, brutality or beating that took place."

Sexual abuse doesn't necessarily have to be penetration. These "kids" were kids, for the most part girls keep things like this quiet as they are confused, feel discusted and can't tell their parents but as they get older, things change especially if it affected their lives.

Naturally more women are coming out and naturally I'd love to think that they are all lying but his own letter to a parent says, it's not so. She was only 13 and his own daughter Bindi confirmed that un-knowingly .

http://www.smh.com.au/national/fresh-claims-of-rolf-harris-sexual-abuse-20140702-zsttp.html
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 01:35 am
@FOUND SOUL,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3123036/Rolf-Harris-s-vile-jail-song-shock-letter-cell-shamed-star-reveals-country-rock-lyrics-damn-sex-victims-greedy-wenches-brags-cushy-prison-life.html

Good lord.. Personally in reading that, he is "angry" with the one person who started this all, very angry.. But read his lyrics if it interests you (or don't) Wink He seems to think that 40 years she should have been well over it..

Off course the mention of Misogynistic rant comes into the picture.

cherrie

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 02:35 am
@FOUND SOUL,
I read the lyrics and kind of wish that I hadn't, I'm feeling a bit sick now.

What a disgusting repulsive creature he is.

I just hope he doesn't get parole.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 02:54 am
I see the phantom down-thumber has just hit this thread. Rolling Eyes
roger

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 03:12 am
@cherrie,
Fixed that for you, however briefly. Not that it matters.
cherrie

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 04:12 am
@roger,
Thanks roger. You're right though, it really doesn't matter, it's just such a petty and pointless thing to do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 04:24 am
@FOUND SOUL,
When I read that one section of his testimony where "he almost convicted himself" I thought that he has good grounds in the US for appeaal based on an inadequte defense. If his attorney did Not object to the line of questioning bsed on good reasons for it being a bit of linguistic trickery, AND, why the hell didnt she do a recross on him? to clean that up?

I think , from what I read, his defense was kinda amateurish.

Whats the requirement on appeals in Austria?
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 03:39 pm
@farmerman,
For an appeal to succeed in Australia, a party must convince the Court that the Judge that heard the original case made an error of law and that the error was of such significance that the decision should be overturned.

The appeal has to show that there were significant errors of law and that the Judge that heard the case applied an incorrect principle, or made a finding of fact/s on an important issue that really didn't stack up with the relevant evidence.

The Court hearing the appeal:
does not consider any new evidence or information that was not presented in the original case (except in special circumstances);
does not call witnesses to give evidence;
does read all the relevant documents filed by the parties for the original case;
does read the relevant parts of the transcript of the original case, if available;
does listen to legal argument from both parties to the appeal.

I doubt he will appeal he keeps nailing himself to the wall.

Gutter / gutless / gutter is all that comes to my mind .
cherrie

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 04:32 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
He's not in jail in Australia though, he's in England.

Probably pretty much the same though.