Social SecurityDisability

gollum

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 06:09 am
Is there a way to obtain the names of people on the Social Security disability program?

Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 09:12 am
@gollum,
A listing of the recipients of SSDI? That numbers in the 10s-of-millions of people. Are you serious? Am I misinterpreting your question?

If that is the question you're asking...then:

No Way .... because that's privileged info. That would be analogous to someone with access to all drivers with drivers licenses. You could not access even one name unless you are an official with access to Social Security's database.

As a personal example, I happen to be a recipient of SSDI and when I apply for a job I do not have to disclose the info on an application if I chose to withhold the info there's no way the company could get the info...legally.
roger

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 10:03 am
@Ragman,
If not legally, how do I get it?
Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 10:05 am
@roger,
I'm unclear about what you're asking?
roger

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 10:06 am
@Ragman,
How do I get it, if it isn't legal?
Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 10:09 am
@roger,
you lost me. the info can't be had.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 10:46 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

As a personal example, I happen to be a recipient of SSDI and when I apply for a job I do not have to disclose the info on an application if I chose to withhold the info there's no way the company could get the info...legally.

There was an implication that it could be had other than legally. I was pulling your leg. I didn't know it would come off in my hand.
gollum

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 11:09 am
@Ragman,
Thank you.

As to records of driver's licenses, I believe it is available (for a fee in some cases) from the motor vehicle departments of some States. In at least some cases I believe the information is subject to Freedom of Information laws enacted by some States.

Salary information of individual employees is available by one or more States and from the federal government (http://php.app.com/fed_employees11/search.php).
Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 11:16 am
@gollum,
Certainly, I'm no lawyer..and you seem to be getting at something...re your own legal background. What does that link have to do with getting a list of names of people on the Social Security disability program?

I have had a brief career working for a company, div of Motorola, who provided access to internet and databases for police and gov't agencies with interface to license, criminal records, fingerprint, etc., and public safety info. I was only aware of access being granted to FBI, public safety and police forces. to my knowledge, it is not just paying for access..there has to be a need to know.

I have strong doubt that an employer or someone with money can just be granted such info. Are you aware of something I'm not?
Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 11:18 am
@roger,
no prob, rog.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 11:38 am
@gollum,
the link you supplied has to do with Federal employees.

However, people who receive SSDUI are not Federal employees. This info database website is not related to those people who receive SSDI.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 11:57 am
@Ragman,
Thank you.

I'm not a lawyer and don't have a true "legal background." However, over the years I have slowly learned a little (part of the credit goes to able2know.com).

My link does not have to do with the Social Security disability program. I thought it relevant because you couldn't believe I was serious as to the names of recipients being in the public domain. Both federal employees and SSDI recipients receive money from the public treasury. Some laws give citizens the right to such information
Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 12:39 pm
@gollum,
I can only write here that I need to do further research as to who has the right to access of that information.

Upon some (admittedly superficial) research, I see some accounting of the numbers of ... NOT identities of ... recipients of such benefits:

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcomps/ssi_sc/
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 01:19 pm
@gollum,
I failed to address a particular aspect of who/whom has access to a list of recipients. If someone has not paid their taxes (or has certain types of debt), US Dep't Internal Revenue can have access and can and will garnish their benefits if the individual fails to notify them of arrangements to pay off their tax debt.

"For those who rely on these benefits, the good news is that they are generally protected from creditors and debt collectors. However there are exceptions in the case of past-due child support, past-due taxes, and federal student loans. “They can chase you (for student loans) to the grave,” warns bankruptcy attorney Cathy Moran."

All that being said/written, this particular information is not privy to the public.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 01:57 pm
@gollum,
Social Security Disability is usually tied to some sort of medical problem. A person's medical information is protected under HIPPA. I presume that you would need an individual's authorization to view their SSD status, or that of a governing authority.

Looks as if it may not be completely covered under HIPPA, but is under the 1976 Privacy Act.

HIPPA and Social Security

Quote:
HIPAA And The Social Security Disability Programs

Information For Consultative Examination Providers - Fact Sheet

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) (Public Law 104-191) affects an extensive range of health care issues. The major intent of HIPAA is to provide better access to health insurance, reduce administrative costs, limit fraud and abuse, and protect the privacy of health information. As required by HIPAA, the Department of Health and Human Services' (HHS) adopted uniform standards for the privacy of individually identifiable health information (the "Privacy Rule"), which became effective on April 14, 2001, and were significantly amended on August 14, 2002. Compliance with the final Privacy Rule is required as of April 14, 2003 for most health care providers, health care clearinghouses, and health plans.

This fact sheet provides answers to frequently asked questions about the impact of the Privacy Rule on the Consultative Examinations (CE) you perform for the State Disability Determinations Services (DDS). The information here does not constitute formal legal advice, and health care providers need to assess their own legal obligations.

Q. Who is a covered entity under HIPAA?

A. All health plans and health care clearinghouses are covered by HIPAA, as are health care providers who conduct certain financial and administrative transactions electronically. It is each provider's responsibility to determine his or her covered status (45 CFR 160.102).

Need to find out about covered status? A useful decision tool is available by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).

To view or use this tool click here.

SSA and the DDSs are not covered entities when handling Social Security workloads. As an agent of the State DDS and SSA, CE providers still have obligations under the Privacy Act of 1974, as revised.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 02:00 pm
@gollum,
If you suspect that someone is falsely receiving SSD income or is abusing it, there are avenues to report your suspicions without you violating privacy laws.

Anything beyond that is none of your business.
0 Replies