What is the consequence of sin?

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:27 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5295177)
But how did that all work out? Are we better off after 6000 or so years of man guiding man?

IF ONLY!

Unfortunately "man" has always had the help of gods. No surer recipe for disaster.

It would be great to find out the answer to the question you almost asked, though: Would the world be better if we completely disregarded the dictates of any gods and just made rules that help us and the planet to be a better place?

My guess is we would find that the answer would be: YES!
neologist

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:32 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
So, if we don't suck up to your imaginary friend, if we don't toe his/her/its line, we die? News Flash! We're gonna die anyway. If given the choice between complete obliteration and spending eternity singing the praises of some omnipotent jerk with as serious case of teenage angst and pathetic self-image problems, i'll take obliteration, thank you.
C'mon, Set. An eternity with me'n Joe Sixpack as your neighbors. Well behaved pets and a few grandchildren and great great grandchildren visitin form time to time. Fishin, campin, playin golf or whatever, satisfying work - me as a knot tyer you as a piano player Happy marriage. Might not be all that bad. I'd even like for Frank to be there.

Even if I was just dreamin'. But I ain't, of course.
neologist

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5295177)
But how did that all work out? Are we better off after 6000 or so years of man guiding man?

IF ONLY!

Unfortunately "man" has always had the help of gods. No surer recipe for disaster.

It would be great to find out the answer to the question you almost asked, though: Would the world be better if we completely disregarded the dictates of any gods and just made rules that help us and the planet to be a better place?

My guess is we would find that the answer would be: YES!
We actually agree on more than you might think.
Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:39 am
@neologist,
Sure you are--all we're told about it is that we would get to spend eternity singing the praises of the ego-maniac you call god. Show me in scripture where it says we'll camping, playing golf (no thanks), fishing . . . don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:43 am
In the King James version, Revelations Chapter four:

1 After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.

2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.

3 And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.

4 And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

5 And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

6 And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.

7 And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.

8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

9 And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,

10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,

11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

It ain't looking good for your fishin' trip there, Buddy.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:51 am
@neologist,
Quote:
We actually agree on more than you might think.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, Neo.

It is fun to kick this stuff around, though!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 11:03 am
@Setanta,
Read a little further in Revelation
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 09:40 am
@neologist,
Define sin.
Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 10:22 am
In fact, Neo, i've read all of Revelations. Chapter 22, verse 15:

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

No dogs? I'm outta here . . .
neologist

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 01:18 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In fact, Neo, i've read all of Revelations. Chapter 22, verse 15:

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

No dogs? I'm outta here . . .
I am happy to inform you that Revelation was written in signs and the aforementioned dogs are those with doglike traits. I fully expect to be accompanied in that time with my faithful Tobias Fleabitus, or his descendants.

Cats, however, are another story
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 01:34 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Define sin.
Failure to obey neo.

Alternately, both the Hebrew and Greek words translated as 'sin' carry the underlying meaning of having failed to achieve a standard. Sin, therefore, would be failure to meet God's moral standards.

BTW, gun show at Kitsap fairgrounds going well. Lynden next week. One of my grandsons will teach you the amazing qualities of ferrocerium, a substance you should not leave home without.

Failure to carry ferrocerium is not a sin according to the aforementioned standard
dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 09:18 am
@neologist,

Thanks again Neo, it's not everyday…….▸ noun: a pyrophoric alloy of iron with cerium; used for lighter flints

But now I have to look up "pyrophoric"
neologist

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 11:45 pm
@dalehileman,
It has been my observation that nearly every young boy likes fire. When my grandsons come with me, they will demonstrate this stuff for hours on end, lighting small fires in my cast iron frying pan we have dubbed the 'University of Pyromania'. Fire building is a good skill to have, perhaps more so in this turbulent time.

I get a kick of of my Second Amendment friends, who seriously think stockpiling weapons and ammunition is the key to salvation.

I don't own a firearm and can't reliably say which end is which. So, they get a kick out of me, I guess.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 12:08 am
@dalehileman,
You might be interested in this post:
http://able2know.org/topic/211887-1
dalehileman

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 10:20 am
@neologist,
Thanks Neo for that link

Interesting to note "pyrophoric" is almost a contronym

http://able2know.org/topic/210760-1