What is the consequence of sin?

neologist

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 06:01 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
And the narrow consequence?
My apologies Neo but consequence of what exactly
You were the one stating that sin exists in a narrow way. So what are the consequences of such?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 06:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5293655)
Just trying to figure things out here, Frank. I'm a little slow, ya know. I was born in... well.
No problem. I was born in 1936...and I am a bit slow myself these days.
Quote:
So if Adam and Eve could have been successful in avoiding the 'trap' of 'the god', and any susequent 'traps', would we all be ok?
I think we are okay now, Neo. Just fine.
We live...we die.
In my opinion, the Adam and Eve story was simply a story invented by rather primitive, superstitious, relatively unsophisticated people who were trying to rationalize the human situation.
So it doesn't make any difference?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 06:06 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
So it doesn't make any difference?

Neo...please state the question in its entirety so I am sure of what you are asking. I'm lost on this one.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 06:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Unfortunately, the math becomes much more complex if all that is given is (a) and (b)...with no other information.
Well, the first 3 chapters of Genesis cover about a kajillion years. In the interest of brevity, Moses left out a lot of boring details. Like, for example, that it would be irrational to warn of a consequence (death) that had no meaning.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 06:19 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Well, the first 3 chapters of Genesis cover about a kajillion years. In the interest of brevity, Moses left out a lot of boring details. Like, for example, that it would be irrational to warn of a consequence (death) that had no meaning.

Really?

Is that what the myth says?

That is one of the problems with this crap, Neo.

Ya always gotta be thinking up reasons for why it doesn't make any sense.

Your 'splainin' is excellent. I get a kick out of it.
neologist

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 06:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Really?

Is that what the myth says?

That is one of the problems with this crap, Neo.

Ya always gotta be thinking up reasons for why it doesn't make any sense.

Your 'splainin' is excellent. I get a kick out of it.
You don't actually believe the account says the earth was created in six 24 hour days, do you?

Surely you jest? How do you explain Genesis 2:4, then?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 06:40 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
You don't actually believe the account says the earth was created in six 24 hour days, do you?

I do not do any "believing." I am almost sure I have mentioned that before.

If you are asking me if I think the writers of the allegory were speaking of 24 hour days...I would guess they didn't even consider that question. They knew they were in allegory mode.

Quote:
Surely you jest?

Don't call me Shirley.

Quote:
How do you explain Genesis 2:4, then?

I consider it the passage that occurs just after Genesis 2:3...and just before Genesis 2:5.

Repeat the word "allegory" a couple of times...and maybe you will see why you should abandon this line of questioning.
neologist

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 06:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Repeat the word "allegory" a couple of times...and maybe you will see why you should abandon this line of questioning.
Then, how can you be sure your interpretation of the allegory is correct? Certainly Moses didn't think so.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 03:04 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5294726)
Frank Apisa wrote:

Then, how can you be sure your interpretation of the allegory is correct? Certainly Moses didn't think so.

I have been pointing out the defects in the allegory...not interpreting it. The allegory sucks as far as I am concerned...perhaps adequate for relatively uninformed, relatively unsophisticated, superstitious people...but an absolute absurdity for modern people.

But if it comforts you in some way...go with it.
neologist

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 03:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'm surprised you don't see how your answer weakens your argument.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 06:02 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5294964)
I'm surprised you don't see how your answer weakens your argument.

Don't be, Neo...it doesn't.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 09:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good, and the perks are fantastic.
neologist

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 09:45 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush@Frank Apisa, wrote:
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good, and the perks are fantastic.
Tell him the best part. A license to make up your own mind about morality and do whatever you please.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 09:56 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Izzy you've totally made my day if not entire week
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 09:57 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5295055)

Yeah...there was a day...

...but now I...

a) don't wanna
b) can't
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 09:59 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: izzythepush (Post 5295144)
izzythepush@Frank Apisa, wrote:

Tell him the best part. A license to make up your own mind about morality and do whatever you please.

That is the way it should be. Whether there are gods or not...we humans should decide for ourselves what we want to be "moral" and what we want to be "immoral."

We don't need no stinkin' gods.
neologist

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
That is the way it should be. Whether there are gods or not...we humans should decide for ourselves what we want to be "moral" and what we want to be "immoral."

We don't need no stinkin' gods.
You got it, Frank. That's pretty much the way the serpent told it to Eve.

I rest my case.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:14 am
@neologist,
Quote:
I rest my case.

Smartest move you've made so far. At some point ya gotta just stop digging.
neologist

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
But how did that all work out? Are we better off after 6000 or so years of man guiding man?
Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 10:20 am
So, if we don't suck up to your imaginary friend, if we don't toe his/her/its line, we die? News Flash! We're gonna die anyway. If given the choice between complete obliteration and spending eternity singing the praises of some omnipotent jerk with as serious case of teenage angst and pathetic self-image problems, i'll take obliteration, thank you.