A question for Christians.

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:36 am
Eva wrote:
That's "altar call." It's the end part of a sermon where people are asked to come forward and talk with the leaders about making the decision to dedicate their lives to Christ. Very common in Protestant churches.

this service went on another 2 hours after that and I didn't get home until about 1:15 am - traditional and interpretive dances - then food
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:37 am
oh and I forgot the slaying in the Spirit and Healing that went on also.
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:43 am
Well I think it would certainly pose some ptretty serious problems! But a lot of Christians woul dstill try and live good lives anyway, I think. If religion hasn't taught you compassion, it's time to wonder what it is teaching you.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
edit - post -
oops
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:16 am
Husker,
What is your opinion of Peter Popoff, Don Stewart, Benny Hinn, and Robert Tilton?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:28 am
Benny hinn - fake - bad theology and practices - he give us good guys a bad rap.
The other guys I do not know!

When I go pray for or on someone - it's more or less a private intimate situation - not lots of bells and whistles. Simple things - affirmations, conformations, and things like that.

These these I might do are a gift, I'm only an instrument of God's Will, and at the Will of God things happen - not mine.

Believe it or not it's not always comfortable situation for me to be in. I've been called to go lay hands on I guy dieing of lung cancer - I however have not felt healthy enough to go visit him and this is heavy on my heart.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:48 am
Eva wrote:
That's "altar call." It's the end part of a sermon where people are asked to come forward and talk with the leaders about making the decision to dedicate their lives to Christ. Very common in Protestant churches.

Well, not here in Europe.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:52 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Eva wrote:

Well, not here in Europe.

What is it called on Europe then? :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:58 am
Well, I just know from my couple of visits to Protestant services, from friends and from my wife (who is a Protestant): normally [= as far as they and I know], they don't do such :wink:
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:53 pm
From the American evangelical church I've been around (a branch of my family sort of founded their own in California; haven't heard from them in years) it's very important that you proclaim your faith in front of the congregation. Not in any sort of fun way, in these instances -- it's a very fire-and-brimstone kind of church. (One of the ministers did assure the congregation at my uncle's funeral that he wouldn't go to hell because he'd committed suicide: the other two neither affirmed nor denied this.)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:50 pm
taking yer life is a no-no, but you gotta hope that our all knowing-loving Abba Father has some insight not revealed to us yet. Sometimes it's ok - not to know all the answers - problem is we live in a society \ culture
that demands answers at the expense of others and for sure that's not a Christ-like attitude.

edit - to make readable - LOL
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:53 pm
I guess it depends on local custom, Walter, as well as on the particular denomination. I am currently attending a Presbyterian congregation here in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and they do not have "altar calls." However, almost all of the more conservative, evangelical and fundamental churches do. A conservative multi-denominational Protestant group I did seminars with in southern France last year did have "altar calls."

Some groups insist on having this at all services. It really doesn't matter one way or the other to me, personally. If someone truly wants to become a Christian, I believe they will do so without a formal invitation. Perhaps it does make it easier for some, though. It's just another tradition.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:56 pm
Well, I wouldn't call our Protestant churches here conservative. And there certainly might be some - we call them "Free Churches" here - who do have 'altar calls'.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 02:01 pm
I think the Free Methodist church does - not 100%.
but you know they are rebels off the United Methodist(Methodist) group.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 02:01 pm
Good answer, husker.

Suicide is a highly personal issue. No two incidents are the same. In some cases, we all might consider it the lesser of two evils (as in the case of advanced terminal illness.) In other cases, it's a symptom of profound, not-always-treatable, depression. In still others, it's a cry for help. Perhaps we should leave it up to God to decide if it was right or wrong in each particular case and not make blanket judgments.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 02:08 pm
alright - I just had a 30 minute call from a lady one of the 3 white folks at the service, I invited. She was on cloud 9 - and flying from the deeply moving spiritual event that she witnessed. I'm very happy for her that she received some spiritual energy and is re-vitalized about her faith.

Every summer when I take kids to Mexico on a mission trip I hope of the same type of experience. In Mexico it's a blend of it's own methodist demoninational favor - heavy catholic mixed with the evangelical \ pentecostal traditions - a very rich experience in a Spanish and gets teens (and adults) out of there comfort zones sometimes.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 03:49 pm
Husker, I'm curious, what is your avatar from?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:02 pm
Husker,
Peter Popoff and Don Stewart are Evangelists similar to Benny Hinn. They each have TV programs that were airing on the BET channel On Sunday evenings the last time I looked about two months back. They both show film clips of revivals, many overseas from USA, that show miracle cures of many ailments including cancer. For the home viewers, Don Stewart will send a "green prosperity handkerchief" to those who call in. Popoff's gimmick is a vial of "miracle spring water" from Russia. Both of these gimmicks are promoted to bring financial rewards and healing of the body. To me they look like crooks and act like crooks and it is a shame to see people being taken advantage of. For a glimpse of Popoff in action and caught in the act of deception click HERE

When you mentioned the Marshall Islands, healing, and pentecostal activity, those were red flags to me. Even with the best of intentions, I believe that faith healers can prevent people from getting real medical help.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:11 pm
SCoates wrote:
Husker, I'm curious, what is your avatar from?

I picked up a big picture somewhere - liked it so scaled it down.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:13 pm
It just looks somewhat familiar...
0 Replies