How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Fil Albuquerque

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 08:22 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
that anyone who does not agree with you is irredeemably wrong.

Its a human trait (or shall I say need) that religion explores, open a vacancy by banning religion and something else will take its place and role...
Setanta

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 08:29 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Word
JLNobody

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:20 am
@Setanta,
I'm not sure what you mean by that Set. but I tend to agree with Fil. If we examine the world picture, cross-culturally and historically, we see tremendous variations in forms of "religion", but the functions they serve (i.e., the needs they meet) are probably very similar. This suggests, as Fil does, that they are, at least in principle, interchangeable. remove one form of "religion" and others are available--at least in principle--to replace it. In the anthropological textbooks they may be termed "functional equivalences."
mikeymojo

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:27 am
The one thing all religions have in common is that they all have been created by Man, who then maintains them. Religion, to me, is just another form of government used by Man, to control the one thing Man can control, fellow Man.

Anything that's "social" is rooted by what made it "social", which is Man. I don't see how religion is any different, as religion is a "social phenomenon", only differentiated by the society the "believers" are part of.

Are religions wrong? No, they do the job they were intended to do quite effectively.
neologist

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:40 am
@mikeymojo,
mikeymojo wrote:
The one thing all religions have in common is that they all have been created by Man, who then maintains them. Religion, to me, is just another form of government used by Man, to control the one thing Man can control, fellow Man. . . .
Perhaps, by searching, one might find a religion created by God.
Would that not limit one's moral license?
Setanta

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:53 am
@neologist,
Moral license? **** like that explains why people so quickly get fed up with pompous religionists.
0 Replies

mikeymojo

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:57 am
@neologist,
It certainly would, but God would have to objectively prove itself to be real to the whole world for people to actually believe it, not through Human vessels such as Prophets, preists, rabbi's, etc...
Setanta

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:12 am
@JLNobody,
"Word" means emphatic agreement, at least to people who are either under 40, or who have been paying attention.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:33 am
@reasoning logic,

Quote:
As the title reads "How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?"

"A religion is a set of beliefs that is held by a group of people. There are many different religions, each with a different set of beliefs. The beliefs are about the world and the people in it, about how they came into being, and what their purpose is. These beliefs are often linked to "supernatural" beings such as god, a number of gods or spirits. They may also be linked to an idea such as a path that the spirit of each person should take towards goodness, truth and duty. Each religion has different ideas about these things. Each religion also has a "moral code" which is a set of beliefs about how humans should act. Each religion usually has their own type of "devotions" when people worship or pray. They often have rituals (special things that are always done in the same way) for certain times of the year or certain times of a person's life. Other words that are used for "religion" are "faith" and "belief system".
Frank Apisa

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:44 am
@mikeymojo,
mikeymojo wrote:

It certainly would, but God would have to objectively prove itself to be real to the whole world for people to actually believe it, not through Human vessels such as Prophets, preists, rabbi's, etc...

Not sure why you think that, Mikey...but you are almost certainly wrong. To the best of my knowledge...no GOD has ever objectively proved itself to be real...and that hasn't stopped people from "believing."

Perhaps you meant to say something else.
mikeymojo

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 11:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
You are correct Frank. I was speaking on moral licensing, whatever that is. If a God, doesn't matter which God or Gods, objectively proved itself to the world, it would change peoples morals. Even people who don't "believe" in that God/Gods, would understand the impact of actually knowing that an objective God exists thus washing away their old beliefs, forcing them to accept the truth of the beliefs that said God/Gods possesses. Something to that effect...

Setanta

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 11:23 am
@mikeymojo,
So basically, you're signing onto the idea that without a god, or a belief in a god, there can be no morals? You're as bad as the bible thumpers.
mikeymojo

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 12:04 pm
@Setanta,
I'm not saying that at all...I'm saying without proof of God, morals will always be personal...But if God was proven to exist without a doubt, morals would be universal...Man, through religion, tries to make morals universal but fails because Man is not God
Frank Apisa

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 12:42 pm
@mikeymojo,
mikeymojo wrote:

...if God was proven to exist without a doubt, morals would be universal...

Maybe not. It is entirely possible that there is a GOD...but that the GOD is not interested in setting up "morals" or standards of conduct for humans. The GOD could simply be interested in what humans would come up with on their own.

So...even if a GOD were "proven" to exist...it is not an absolute that "morals" would be absolute.

In fact, it could logically be argued that one of the problems with "religion" (as opposed to GOD or gods) is that when humans do invent gods, the humans always insist on inventing gods that want to set "morals." (And of course, then they put their ideas of "morals" into the mouths of their gods.)
igm

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 12:48 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:

Quote:
As the title reads "How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?"

"A religion is a set of beliefs that is held by a group of people. There are many different religions, each with a different set of beliefs. The beliefs are about the world and the people in it, about how they came into being, and what their purpose is. These beliefs are often linked to "supernatural" beings such as god, a number of gods or spirits. They may also be linked to an idea such as a path that the spirit of each person should take towards goodness, truth and duty. Each religion has different ideas about these things. Each religion also has a "moral code" which is a set of beliefs about how humans should act. Each religion usually has their own type of "devotions" when people worship or pray. They often have rituals (special things that are always done in the same way) for certain times of the year or certain times of a person's life. Other words that are used for "religion" are "faith" and "belief system".

You did enclose your 'copy & paste' from Wiki in quotes but you should give your source and probably some of your 'own' ideas on the subject... otherwise what's the point?
0 Replies

fresco

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 12:49 pm
@mikeymojo,

Presumably those "universal morals" would be forthcoming after that "God" had made amends for its gross immorality and negligence with respect to mankind prior to such a "revelation" ? Wink
mikeymojo

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 12:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Exactly what I was saying about religion being created by Man to control Man...

As for the moral part of it, true, God could have no interest. But that doesn't mean Man wouldn't have an interest in making morals absolute themselves...Just knowing that something more powerful than themselves exist could do the trick...

But can't argue with either point you make Frank...
mikeymojo

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 01:05 pm
@fresco,
I agree Fresco assuming the "God" that does show itself is in fact the "God" of one of the religions that is practiced by Mankind...

Personally in my opinion, if a God/God's does exist, I'm sure it's beliefs/teachings/purpose of Man/etc.. are much much different than what is preached by the religions of Man
0 Replies

fresco

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 01:09 pm
@mikeymojo,
So we have no idea what "morality" means ?
mikeymojo

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 01:19 pm
@fresco,
As a whole, probably not because there are about 6 billion different ideas of what "morality" is...