The Worst College in America Award goes to ....

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:51 am
Edit: Moderator: Moved from General to Teaching.

Liberty University! Check out their code of conduct:

http://www.liberty.edu/StudentAffairs/index.cfm?PID=1378
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,923 • Replies: 32
No top replies

suzy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 11:14 pm
Oh my! Yikes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 11:22 pm
Is this maybe a military academy, or something like that?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 11:49 pm
i think it's associated with jerry falwell
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 12:10 am
It is a religious school. Supported by Jerry Falwell, no less.

What did you expect?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 12:15 am
Quote:
$70.00 fine for Participation in an unauthorized petition or demonstration

That ones rich. Guess they have to keep their drones in check.

Liberty university huh? Hey, you know every post we make on A2K gets listed on search engines like Yahoo. The more we mention Liberty University the more hits this thread will get when someone searches for Liberty University on Yahoo. :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 12:44 am
Yes, but is this the reputation we are aspiring to, rover?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 12:46 am
roger wrote:
Yes, but is this the reputation we are aspiring to, rover?

You mean to speak up about unfair things around the world Wink Probably not. Liberty University
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 06:53 am
Unbelievable! There are actually college age students out there who would agree to this ?
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:31 am
RoverRoad, Laughing Liberty University.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
I attended a religion-oriented college in the 1970s. It wasn't nearly as bad as this place, but we did have some strange rules.

Male and female dorms were on opposite sides of the campus and you weren't allowed on the wrong side after midnight. We could have a member of the opposite sex visit our dorm room (during a daylight schedule approved by the dean for each dorm), but we had to have a brick in the door so that the door to the hallway was always open. Some women would knit their boyfriends "brick cozies". You could sit on the bed in the dorm room when the opposite sex was present, but one foot had to remain on the floor. Freshmen were not allowed to have cars. At college parties during 'slow' dances, dancers had to remain at least two Bible widths apart.

I remember a big scandal when a male student was caught taking photos of a naked female student in his dorm room. Both were kicked out of school.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 03:28 pm
HAHAHAHA!!!!! Liberty's just behind the times, that's all. I remember the old "one foot on the floor" rule from my state university days in the '70s. It was truly amazing what we could do and still keep a foot on the floor! (Of course, I was much more limber then.)

Oh. I almost forgot. Liberty University. (Love your sense of humor, roverroad!)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 04:36 pm
In junior high, we actually had a nun come around with a ruler. Dancers had to be one foot apart. Made for interesting waltzes... :wink:

Liberty University Confused Laughing
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 05:19 pm
damn (oops, there goes $10). But who the hell are
you or I to give a **** (another $20) about the standards established by Liberty U?
If you want your kid to go there and if the kid agrees (I don't know what the enrollment is; I'm thinking 2000), why do y'all belittle that?
Liberty would not be for me (I'd probably last about 5 minutes and ps I've got $10 on Duke in the Final Four)
Most of us here are libs, tolerant of divergence.
Quit your belittling. Let the repubs do that. -rjb-
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 05:29 pm
Hahah, what a name and a place!

Seriously, who in their right minds would want to spend the 'happiest years of their life' there??

0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 05:41 pm
My only hope is that these absurd anti-fornication measures will prevent religious fruitcakes from breeding, thus slowly weeding thier irrational offspring out of the gene pool, and ridding the human race of Christians and their ilk.

Halleluja.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 05:43 pm
Good idea!

(Think about this: if everyone were truly Catholic, we'd all be dead by now.)

0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 05:53 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
Good idea!

(Think about this: if everyone were truly Catholic, we'd all be dead by now.)

I certainly would be, because if we lived in an all catholic world I would have been pushed into suicide long ago. Or killed as a heathen. Or burnt as witch....etc, etc, etc.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:16 pm
It bothers me that the punishment for consensual sex is roughly the same as the punishment for sexual assault. It is also odd that they are forbidden to watch "R" movies (I doubt they can actually enforce this.) Violence and sex occurs in this world - you can make the choice not to have either, but being completely unexposed to these aren't going to prevent them - the desire for both sex and violence come from within, and it's better to know how to deal with these urges than to deny their existance.

I have a friend who goes to Baylor, a good school - but they will kick you out for being gay, or for not attending daily religious services. Once she brought a male friend in to see her dorm room during the day, and everyone in the hallway stormed her room, kicked the guy out, and she was given demerits.

I find that it is more fun doing some things when there are rules to be broken Smile!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:40 pm
I agree, Portal Star! And if that is true, the students at LIBERTY UNIVERSITY must be having the time of their lives!

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Home of Oral Roberts University. Not only do they not accept gay students, but they don't accept disabled students either. Quite ironic for a college named after a faith healer, wouldn't you say?

Of course, we have another religious-sponsored university, too. The University of Tulsa is a private institution backed by the Presbyterian Church. It's a good school academically, and there's none of that ridiculous stuff. So not all church-supported colleges are living in the 1950s.
0 Replies