[OLD] Spyware, Browser Hijacks, Yuckware? Check here 1st

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:17 am
since I've been back on line I use mozilla firefox, not internet explorer. thoroughly recommend it. (free)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:31 am
Wearin' a different suit is only gonna fool the badguys so long. Alternative browsers and email clients are less "vulnerable" primarily because less attention is paid to uncoverin' and exploitin' their vulnerabilities; there simply weren't enough folks usin' 'em to make effort at crackin' 'em worthwhile. That's changin', and a lot of folks are likely to get a real lesson in what "false security" really means.

In the last few months, Firefox has grown more popular, and as it has, yuckware tailored to get under its skin has developed too. Though rare by comparison to assaults on Microfoft product, there's stuff that can getchya out there you really don't want, and more of it is comin' down the pike. Even cellphones, PDAs and Blackberries have vulnerabilities, and there have been exploitation incidents.

The badguys aren't stupid; they'll go wherever they figure they can get whatever they happen to be after. There's no substitute for a properly configured, fully updated operatin' system, prudent security measures, and all-around good practice.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:35 am
I didnt say I dont use a firewall and anti virus software as well, but SO FAR using Firefox has restored my faith in computers.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:49 am
Keep the faith, baby :wink:
0 Replies

dfinc

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 12:23 am
Thanks dudes, really helpfull
0 Replies