CHILD SUPPORT in GA

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 01:04 pm
I have a two and a half year old son that I am trying to support off of a minimum wage job. His father had a good paying job when our son was first born but lost it due to stupidity. Anyways it has been 2 years since he last helped. He does things every now and then but this is if I help him out or when he feels like doing something, as he says. I dont appreciate having to help him to help our son especially since that defeats the whole purpose of providing your end of the bargain. I dont know if I should put him on child support because not only does he not have a job, and I doubt he plans on getting one any time soon, but he also has another child that he has to pay child support for. If I put him on, he wont have the money to pay it, and then I feel I have wasted my time and effort trying to bring this to justice when I end up doing the same amount of work anyways. Should I do it and if so what could I do to enforce him to pay, or should I just come to the realization that I probably will never get any help. Help is always great but I dont want to waste my time if it wont do any good.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 986 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 02:53 pm
@miszscott,
Go to Legal Services in Georgia (just look them up in the phone book) and tell them you want to bring your son's father to court for child support. They will most likely get an order whereby his wages will be garnished (e. g. a percentage will be taken out) in order to pay. This will assure that, if he ever does get off his ass and start really working, or he inherits money or wins some in a lawsuit, that your son will get something out of it.

You may be right, that it may, in the end, be for nothing, but this will cover you and your child in case there are future earnings, winnings, an inheritance or any other windfall. Your son should not have to go without shoes or healthy foods because his father isn't trying to hold down a job.
0 Replies