What should Christian's greatest fear be?

Camille

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:23 am
This is a loaded question. Christianity isn't one religion and different religions believe different things. The centerpoint is Jesus Christ but the similarity often ends there.

What makes one a "Christian"? Being born into a certain family of values, actions, beliefs doesn't mean we buy into all of it 100%.

I'm going to go with the idea that Christ was born, died and resurrected so the sins of man would be forgiven and man allowed into heaven. If that is the main point of Christianity, then the greatest fear of Christians would be that Jesus really wasn't the son of God and just a religious zealot that was a master of illusion or an enlightened master that had mind control over his body. Without Christ, the gates of heaven remain closed to men and all are condemned to an eternal life in hell. I believe God exists, I believe Jesus was his son, but I also believe humans are falible beings, only the soul is perfect, therefore no human gets into heaven by being branded a "Christian" alone. I believe the way you live your life, the intent of your actions, your repentance of the things you have done that wronged others all count more than showing up for church on Sunday.

I was born into a family where I was baptised and went to church, believing I was a "Christian". I still consider myself a Christian, even though my beliefs have changed over the years, and I no longer believe in eternal heaven or hell. I believe the situations that present themselves to us are challenges or lessons to be learned. Is there reincarnation? I don't know. Is there a different existence our soul goes to after death of the human body? I think so. Is there a process that makes us more enlightened? Yes, definitely.

Based on my own beliefs, I guess my greatest fear is that at death everything just stops and it's over.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:24 am
Is that all there is?
Is that all there is?
If that's all there is, my friend,
Then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:30 am
Setanta- I want that to be played at my funeral! Laughing
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:31 am
Setanta wrote:
Is that all there is?
Is that all there is?
If that's all there is, my friend,
Then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze . . .

Ah, that old Peggy Lee tune. I haven't heard that song in years. LOL

Thanks Setanta, now that I've seen these lyrics, I've got that song stuck in my head and I'll spend the rest of the day singing it to myself! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:35 am
Camille wrote:

I'm going to go with the idea that Christ was born, died and resurrected so the sins of man would be forgiven and man allowed into heaven. If that is the main point of Christianity, then the greatest fear of Christians would be that Jesus really wasn't the son of God and just a religious zealot that was a master of illusion or an enlightened master that had mind control over his body. Without Christ, the gates of heaven remain closed to men and all are condemned to an eternal life in hell. I believe God exists, I believe Jesus was his son, but I also believe humans are falible beings, only the soul is perfect, therefore no human gets into heaven by being branded a "Christian" alone. I believe the way you live your life, the intent of your actions, your repentance of the things you have done that wronged others all count more than showing up for church on Sunday.

Right-On except I don't fear he wasn't the Son of God
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:35 am
doglover- Scroll to the middle of the page. Click on #2!

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/artist/card/0,,457641,00.html
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 11:30 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
doglover- Scroll to the middle of the page. Click on #2!

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/artist/card/0,,457641,00.html

Gee, thanks for the link Phoenix! I just listened to that song about fifteen times! Guess I'm good for another 20 years or so! Of course, the songs in my head more now than it was before. LOL
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:49 pm
Has anyone here read The Screwtape Letters, by C. S. Lewis?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:40 pm
The Christian's greatest fear would be in believing that there is no point in believing anything........
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:26 pm
Shepaints, i would edit your sentence to replace "would be" with "is," and i would not limit the class simply to christians. I guess what i am saying is that is a fair description of fervent belief, no matter what religion, and whether or not religion were the operative belief.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 09:57 pm
I suppose anyone's greatest fear is that they spent their whole life doing what they're supposed to be doing instead of what they want to do.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:37 am
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
From my perspective, and that of the majority of participants here, the Christian's greatest fear should be that if he is wrong he has sacrificed a life of FREE THINKING, of intellectual autonomy and personal exploration.

Hmmmm, twice in one day you've taken the words out of my mouth. Wink
This is exactly what I was thinking.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 04:12 pm
Well, I am a Christian and don't believe it has curtailed my free thinking....
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 04:16 pm
...in fact, since my spiritual matters have been taken care of, it has freed up a lot of time to think about other important stuff....like painting!
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:17 pm
Am I missing something?

If one is a true believer good Christian, do they really need to fear anything?

I mean, they have accepted Jesus as their savior, are Saved, and will spend eternity in heaven.

Why would they need to fear anything in this brief life on earth, as long as they keep the faith?
0 Replies

zoofer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:41 pm
Good logic.
Have unprotected sex with HIV positive strangers, walk in front a speeding Mack truck and sky dive without a parachute.

After all Jesus, will save you.

Have any comments on the Prophet Mohammad?

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 07:49 am
using the tried and true cyclical reasoning of 'believers';

Religion is truly the work of the Devil! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 11:16 pm
zoofer wrote:
Good logic.
Have unprotected sex with HIV positive strangers, walk in front a speeding Mack truck and sky dive without a parachute.

After all Jesus, will save you.

Have any comments on the Prophet Mohammad?

Rolling Eyes

I just meant that Christians probably shouldn't walk around fearing anything if they feel they are "Saved."

Didn't mean that they should go around doing stupid stuff.

The question is kind of funny actually. Maybe it should be on David Letterman: Top 10 things Christians should Fear.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:00 pm
kickycan wrote:
I think this is a very interesting question. My whole family believes everything that GWB says, simply because he follows a similar religion. I wonder if they have ever thought about what would happen if they were right about god, but wrong about the people supposedly doing god's will? I'll have to ask them about that. Thanks for the post.

This is interesting, because I read that GW Bush's church actually came out against the Iraq war.

I sort of wondered how he reconciled this. But didn't wonder too much.
0 Replies