Do you think that if a sociopath did not exist that you could exist?

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 05:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Are you serious? You're comparing yourself to Galileo. Why not go the whole hog and throw in Da Vinci, Einstein and Des Lynam for good measure?

No Izzy, what I am saying is if other great thinkers could have been wrong why cant me and you be wrong in our understandings?
MattDavis

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 11:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
bookmark
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 02:10 am
@reasoning logic,
I don't think you're completely wrong, I think your terminology is at fault. I'll accept that being selfish, violent, antisocial etc are detrimental to society, but are probably attributes that lead to survival of the species. I think it's going one step further to label everyone who displays such attributes as a sociopath.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 03:27 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, even flies and mosquitoes have a purpose and fit a playing role, although most idealists hate the idea... Smile
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 04:31 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I don't think you're completely wrong, I think your terminology is at fault.

What makes you so sure that I do not find value in the terminology that describes a sociopath as you see one? I share the same terminology as you but I am on a quest for a more in depth understanding and I think that things may need to be distorted a bit in order to hear from others about their view points.
The terminology that you prefer is easy to find and available isn't it?

Quote:
selfish, violent, antisocial etc are detrimental to society, but are probably attributes that lead to survival of the species.

Will you will keep this in mind if someone rapes your daughter while she is away?

Will you be able to use this logic with her as to why the event happened?

Do you think that it is possible that we all suffer sociopathic episodes from sociological currents and other emotional events that take place in our lives?

Sure there are people that are completely emotional sterile and lack a conscience that you may identify as a sociopath but what about the rest of us that come close to being sociopatic at times? exactly where do you cut this fine line of behavior?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
You really are quite disgusting. There's no reason to bring up my family members to score a few cheap points.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You really are quite disgusting. There's no reason to bring up my family members to score a few cheap points.

Sorry Izzy I was not meaning to do that. Would you please reconsider the question as if you were to explain it to my daughter?
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:58 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
I'm wondering why the question was even raised in the first place. It's said like there is something wrong with sociopaths - but many of them are just different.

I agree that they are different than many of us and this thread is not about putting them down but rather coming to a more in depth understanding about them.
MattDavis

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 01:11 am
@reasoning logic,
I am not sure of the practical value of your extended definition of sociopathy. I don't see how that will serve well in helping persons become more ethical. We don't react to a young boy crushing ants by calling him a psycho. What purpose would that serve? Now the boy is a "psycho"... where does he go from here. Act more "psycho" to match the identity imposed upon him, or try to prove people wrong that crushing ants is "good".
Treat behaviors. Treat maladaptive thinking (teach).
Don't paint the world in two colors. We all have ways of becoming better than we were yesterday.
There are rare cases of primarily organic violent psychosis.
Those cases require more intensive treatment, and many times segregation from the larger society (hospitalization).
I think someone on this thread has already mentioned that sociopaths, as defined by emphatic ability are usually not criminal in their behavior. I agree. This is probably due in part to the non-rationality of most crime.
Empathy itself is not a virtue or a vice. It is simply the ability to imagine self as other.
One can be emphatic and vicious. I know I have been. In a fight knowing just the right thing to say, to cut the deepest. I'm not proud of that in myself, but I am aware of it, and I should be aware of it.
Empathy is also useful for compassion.
I have great concern for people who have less than average emphatic ability, that must make navigating society very difficult. There are professions where this may be useful. Ones which require dispassionate analysis. Insurance actuarial tables for instance. Or finance careers. Potentially very useful things for a society.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 04:01 am
@reasoning logic,
Sorry doesn't cut it, you crossed a line. I'm done with you.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 06:34 am
@izzythepush,
Your harshness is unintelligible...what were you expecting ?
(his argument is actually one of the most typical arguments people tend to use)
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 05:12 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
I am not sure of the practical value of your extended definition of sociopathy. I don't see how that will serve well in helping persons become more ethical.

What I share is for my my own understanding of how people reply to my comments. I will share off the wall ideas to see how people respond.
People will share their view points and I consider what they say.

Quote:
Don't paint the world in two colors.

I think that there are absolutes but I am not one to claim them to be black and white but rather a shade of gray but who knows maybe there are more colors than the rainbow.

Quote:
We all have ways of becoming better than we were yesterday.

I do not agree but I think that I understand what you are meaning and you mean it in a good way so I respect your view.

Quote:
Empathy itself is not a virtue or a vice. It is simply the ability to imagine self as other.

It certainly is crucial but could you be a sociologist and not even know it?

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 05:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Sorry doesn't cut it, you crossed a line. I'm done with you.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings but ethics is important to me and sometimes I am aware that I can be offensive to others not even meaning to. I hope all is well with you and your family.
jkimbo

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 11:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
You are aware that anti-social disorder also resembles borderline personality disorder and also bipolar disorder? Also rape can be caused by over drinking, drugs, and also other personality and mood disorders, not to mention simply a criminal tendency not matching enough criteria for any disorders.

I don't think it matters much how we got here or when. As for rape, I think the definition of rape evolved to the present. I'm sure at some point it was not even rape, just the way it was.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 01:38 pm
@jkimbo,
Quote:
I think the definition of rape evolved to the present. I'm sure at some point it was not even rape, just the way it was.

I think you are absolutely correct. In my opinion.

Quote:
You are aware that anti-social disorder also resembles borderline personality disorder and also bipolar disorder? Also rape can be caused by over drinking, drugs, and also other personality and mood disorders, not to mention simply a criminal tendency not matching enough criteria for any disorders.

It seems that you are suggesting that we all may behave sociopathic at times.

If so I agree.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 10:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Are you trying to imitate how Martin Luther and others ridiculed Galileo?
I just had to revive this thread when I saw this. Luther died about 18 years before Galileo was born.

BTW, not all rapes and murders are committed by soci0paths. Your definition of the term is far too broad.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:41 am
@neologist,
Quote:
I just had to revive this thread when I saw this. Luther died about 18 years before Galileo was born.

My mistake, He must have been referring to Copernicus but if Galileo was around I am pretty sure he would thought the same of his works too.

Quote:
"People gave ear to an upstart astrologer who strove to show that the earth revolves, not the heavens or the firmament, the sun and the moon. Whoever wishes to appear clever must devise some new system, which of all systems is of course the very best. This fool [or 'man'] wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy; but sacred Scripture tells us that Joshua commanded the sun to stand still, and not the earth."

Quote:
BTW, not all rapes and murders are committed by soci0paths. Your definition of the term is far too broad.

Will you agree that it is antisocial behavior when the act is being committed or do you think that it is agape
0 Replies