Im confused can you help me

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 06:15 pm
A king has three sons and he wants to split his kingdom equally among them, so each of them gets 1/4 of the kingdom but to the smartest he wanted to give the remaining 1/4. So he summoned all his sons into one room and blindfolded them and put a dot of white paint on each of their heads. Then he told them to take of their blindfolds off and to knock three times if they saw white so they all knocked. He then said that whenever they figured out what color they had on their head and could tell him how they knew then they would get the remaining 1/4 of his kingdom. After a while one of the boys got up and told his father that he knew that he knew that he had white paint on his head and his father asked how he knew and the son told the father that he was a fair father and wouldn't give his brother both white paint and give him black and the father said he was an idiot and told him to go back and sit down. After little while longer another boy got up and told his father that he knew what color he had on his head and could prove it. How could he?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 577 • Replies: 2
No top replies

MattDavis

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 09:47 pm
@KioraClock,
I think it is a lesson in cooperation.
The father is obviously not being fair, since he is dividing his kingdom unequally [1/4, 1/4, 1/2]. To call the father "fair" is of course idiotic.
If the brother's are to rule they must learn to cooperate.
How do you know what color dot is on your face?
Ask your two other brothers.
If all the brothers are in agreement, then the color of the dot is likely white.
The first brother to realize this will be the wisest son.
Therefore the son most likely to rule better the larger segment of the kingdom.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 11:51 pm
@KioraClock,
The wise son (call him A) reasoned like this:
The other two (B and C) each have a white dot, and they both see a white dot. If I have a black dot, then one of them (say B) will realize that the white dot that the other one (C) sees must be his (B's). But since neither of the others (B or C) has figured out that his dot is white, my (A's) dot must be white also.

You can swap B and C above. Both should be able to figure out that they have a white dot if A has a black dot.
0 Replies