Does the UNIVERSE have a boundary or OUTER LIMIT?

Gelisgesti

Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:26 am
Time is such that everything exist simultaneously. When you die, what changes? We are filled with Gods and Demons.
As such, many times have we walked upon our own ashes. Life and death are not separate as the gate that gives me life is the gate that gives me death. Failing to understand is no boundary, just a lackof understanding.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:47 pm
so you're a Buddhist?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 14 Sep, 2005 01:28 pm
I have the Buddhist 10 Commandments right here and I would be very surprised if Geli is one.No9 is -"Thou shalt not indulge in luxury (sleep on soft beds or be lazy).
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:44 pm
Well I was brought up Babtist without much Buddhist influence in Grundy Virginia Smile
I believe in what I feel more than what I know ..... probably because I feel a lot but know damn little. This begs the question of 'original thought'.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 15 Sep, 2005 02:33 am
"I believe in what I feel more than what I know ..... probably because I feel a lot but know damn little. "

Your humility is admirable but also a little bit irritating. An obviously intelligent person should be able to differentiate between sense and nonsense. If God didnt want you to think rationally he wouldnt have given you a brain capable of rational thought. We dont know things through getting feelings. We know things by finding out about them. Smile
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Thu 15 Sep, 2005 05:18 am
Steve, tell me everything you know. Take say ..... twenty years to do so. You will not be able to accomplish the ask. We aquire knowledge by comparing what we feel or know with what is, and as long as we are involved in that process we ascend ..... no boundaries.
Life is a metaphor as God is a process ...not a deity.

From the gut .. no divinity implied or intended Wink
0 Replies

g day

Thu 15 Sep, 2005 06:01 am
Oh Steve - after 18 years of straight loses, I supposes it's okay if your country wins one back. Good luck holding onto it next year though!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:23 am
Thanks gday. I dont think we'll need much luck though. Flintoff et al will only get better. !

Gel

I thought you were somehow disparaging the scientific methodology. Its the only thing that works. The rest is just wishful thinking.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:26 am
"Gel

I thought you were somehow disparaging the scientific methodology. Its the only thing that works. The rest is just wishful thinking."

We thrust our bodies forward on land through a soup of among other constituents, oxygen and hydrogen .... come to the edge of the lake ('H2O') continue kicking and to the untrained mind appear .... to walk on water.
One hydrogen ... one oxygen into ... one hydrogen ...... two oxygen, walk onto the shore and go back into one hydrogen ... one oxygen.
Is the water a boundary with or without the knowledge of 'H2O'? We can only obseeerve, feel, smell, hear etc with our known senses ... thinking, wishfull or otherwise, is our only means of interpretation.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:02 am
Sorry Gel, I have no idea what you are on about.

Both hydrogen and oxygen are colourless ordourless gasses. There is virtually no free hydrogen in the atmosphere. Water vapour in the atmosphere and water as liquid have the same elemental constituents of two atoms of hydrogen combined with one of oxygen. The boundary layer between water as liquid and vapour is as a result of thermodynamics and forces at the molecular level and exists on earth and elsewhere in the Universe whether we choose to experience it by thinking about it or jumping in it or not.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:44 pm
Just the observance that barriers can exist, and be real, for lack of understanding or knowledge and E=MC2 was the product of thought ... wishfull or otherwise thought is real ..... the builder and the disabler. Some fail to recognize this, others refuse ..... some are not aware of the question. As the dormouse said, feed your head.
0 Replies

skifreewiz31

Sat 17 Sep, 2005 09:10 pm
the universe
this question has been in my head for quite some time now...i do not think we are capable of comprehending or understanding our universe's existence. people have been trying to find the answer to this question for ages. let me propose another question: what defines a universe?? what if the a universe was as big as a speck of dust floating in the air? what if?? all i believe i can do is wonder and dream. however, i do not believe this question "where does our universe end?" is a logical question. it is a really great question for deep thinkers like myself. i believe our universe is how life was designed for us rather than anything else. you cannot tell me that the universe just happened by accident and we are all here by occurence! nothing in this universe/world happens by accident. i put 100% of my trust in Jesus Christ. he is more remarkable than the universe itself. we are literally lost in space without him. thank you Jesus.
0 Replies

Boephe

Sat 24 Sep, 2005 06:06 am
it's ok, the answer is 42, or God, which ever way you swing
0 Replies

imperialracing

Wed 28 Sep, 2005 12:23 pm
0 Replies

Screwball Pitch

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:13 pm
Where does the Universe end
Is this a serious topic here?

First lets get rid of some misinformation:

The universe (space) is not a vacuum, not not even close in the pure sense. There ARE molecules cruising around out there, just not a whole bach of them (given the amount of space).

You'll all love this one: There is no such thing as "Zero Gravity" in the literal sense. Gravity is presently doing it's thing everywhere (we know of) in the universe. Dent write me hate mail because its true. Smile

And finally: Other scientist have opposite theories, but to the best of my knowledge, "The big bang" occurred IN the universe. In other words, The universe was already here however probably in a "static" vacuum state until God decided it would be really cool to have all this really neat stuff going on.

Is there a God?: My answer is there has absolutely got to be. The whole system (what itsy bit we know of it) is so vast, and yet so perfectly balanced as to creation and destruction..... SO absolutely perfect in it's efficiency with regard to recycling etc. I dunno, I have never even considered that all this **** could have JUST happened.

And BANG. So in my opinion, the big bang occurred IN the universe which already existed, (and always has)...(and always will) which is the infinity part, and THATS the part that blows my pea brain apart.... is the infinity. If the universe IS infinite, WE should stop walking around like we are the king shits of it..... since we are less than a blink of an eye in time. However the question of whether the universe itself is expanding is one we havent really settled yet. WE KNOW the MATTER in the universe IS most definitely expanding.....

If the universe IS in fact expanding, then we know it must have and end somewhere.

WHich brings us BAck to the original question: Does the universe end?
Hmmmmmm...... I may go to hell for this, but I think logically it must end somewhere. If the (expanding?) universe goes out in every direction infinitely, and it were already here, How did all the "Cool stuff" get here to have the bang?

On the subject of matter:
The number of BASIC elements of matter that were in existence at the birth of the universe are actually very few. Actually, only Hydrogen and Helium, if I remember correctly. Since only nuclear reactions can convert elements (to the best of our knowledge), Most of the matter which makes up this planet, and almost all of the elements we are made of, the carbon and oxygen in our muscles and the calcium in our bones were made when stars go super nova (eventually explode) which some do not. Anyway, most all of the elements on earth have come from this process.
0 Replies

ujyhtgrfdsa111

Mon 2 Apr, 2007 10:23 pm
But, If we do go to the edge fo the universe and we start all over again..
What is outside of there?
Nothing I'm guessing.
But, What is nothing exactly it can't jut be nothing ..
Nothing is something.
0 Replies

Dedshaw

Wed 4 Apr, 2007 07:10 pm
i imagine it as limited or unlimited. if limited i think it would be like walking around the world, you come right back to where you started, so the universe could be like a super giagantic globe or its just unlimited in everydirection which i kinda think is wat it is
0 Replies

g day

Wed 4 Apr, 2007 11:48 pm
Or it could be entirely fractal - meaning it has no limit in any direction, or at any scale from quantum mechanics and below, to strings of galactic superclusters and above. Mounting evidence is starting to elevate this possibility.
0 Replies

stuh505

Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:40 am
Re: Where does the Universe end
Screwball_Pitch wrote:
Is this a serious topic here?

First lets get rid of some misinformation:

That's always good

Quote:

You'll all love this one: There is no such thing as "Zero Gravity" in the literal sense. Gravity is presently doing it's thing everywhere (we know of) in the universe. Dent write me hate mail because its true. Smile

You say "as far as we know of" and then "its true" like its a fact...let me tell you something...it cannot be called a fact that gravity is present everywhere when we don't even know what causes gravity (GR? probably not. gravitons? probably not. we're out of hypothesis...)

Quote:

And finally: Other scientist have opposite theories, but to the best of my knowledge, "The big bang" occurred IN the universe. In other words, The universe was already here however probably in a "static" vacuum state until God decided it would be really cool to have all this really neat stuff going on.

Haha, well thanks for getting that misinformation out of the way with, God. Anyway the theory people seem to like to go with is that our universe exists on the surface of an expanding hypersphere, which defines the universe -- there is no universe inside or outside of the hypersphere -- and the big bang was the creation of that hypersphere, so according to that theory the big bang did create the universe as I understand it. But let's be honest, anyone's best guess is still misinformation.

Quote:
Is there a God?: My answer is there has absolutely got to be. The whole system (what itsy bit we know of it) is so vast, and yet so perfectly balanced as to creation and destruction..... SO absolutely perfect in it's efficiency with regard to recycling etc. I dunno, I have never even considered that all this **** could have JUST happened.

A = the universe is vast and balanced
B = God exists

A implies B

Would this be induction, deduction, abduction...? Perhaps you have developed a new form of reasoning!

Quote:
Or it could be entirely fractal - meaning it has no limit in any direction, or at any scale from quantum mechanics and below, to strings of galactic superclusters and above. Mounting evidence is starting to elevate this possibility.

It's bad enough that we tried to conclude global homogeneity from analysis of CMB because now people only consider models of the universe that are 100% homogeneous, even though we are talking about inhomogeneities that would not be observable from our perspective point. There is a problem here: local observations, no matter how far-reaching they may be, are still local observations!
0 Replies

wat

Fri 6 Apr, 2007 03:26 am
does the universe ever end?
i think the universe has no beginning or end because nothing is impossible nothing has to be something so there was no start and there will be no end and the universe doesn't end because if you got to the finnish well what's there??? Confused
0 Replies