Does the UNIVERSE have a boundary or OUTER LIMIT?

marcuslangford

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:01 am
@fishin,
Your absolutely right.

Also light shifts into the infra red as it gets more and more distant and is therefore not visible to the naked eye, if you look at the universe through a radio telescope you can see almost everything back to just after the beginning of time (the big bang) that does not mean there is nothing in the gaps between the galaxies we just cant see them because they didn't exist when the light originated from that area of space.

As for a boundary there are two theories, einstiens theory that the universe is wrapped in a circle in all directions like a donut so where the universe ends you can travel through to the other side. the other is that the universe is "flat" so you would be able to travel to the edge where beyond that there would be no universe, nothing not even time, which means that while there would be nothing to stop you travelling farther there would also be no space/time to travel through. The universe itself does not have enough matter within it for either theory to be proven true, however the WMAP prove proved that the universe is made up of three quarters Dark energy, which is pushing the universe apart even faster accelerating it.

If the speed of light was infinate we likely would see a massive block of light in the nights sky, but then again it would also block out the suns light during the day too.
0 Replies

marcuslangford

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:08 am
@quinn1,
interesting question, the dictionary defines the universe as everything that exists. But according to the current theory space/time exists only to the edge of the universe which is expanding exponentially. If it is expanding it is also finite.

It is only the universe so long as there is only one, more or less scientists agree now that the 'uni'verse does not exist as such there is the membrane that we exist on and also many other 'branes' in a 'multi'verse. since the prefix 'uni' applies only if there is only one single aspect, think like unicycle or uniform.
0 Replies

marcuslangford

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:23 am
@Bibliophile the BibleGuru,
@biblophile the bibleguru
absolutely right but also.

No one has ever detected a god so he doesn't exist either according to your theory.

If you don't understand science you shouldn't comment on a scientific question.

By that I mean that impirical proof does not exists there are only theories on the current evidence. Scientists cannot even prove that 1=1 because 1 is always made up of individual elements that equal greater than 1. As a matter of fact it can be proved that 1 is not equal to 1.

Black holes make much more sense than the existance of a single all powerful deity which has no impact directly creditable to it in the current world.

I shall examine one element of proof that god does not exist.

God: created man in his own image, except that god is an omnipotent force (All powerful) and exists everywhere at the same time and as such could not look like a man (the more plausible form of god would be an identical earth in a seperate reality)
0 Replies

marcuslangford

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:33 am
@dyslexia,
unfortunately that only prove that there is a great degree of darkmatter in M87.

the problem is trying to prove that something from which nothing can escape once they breech the event horizon, including light exists as more than just a distortion in light. You can't, no-one can. Even if you could sit right near it in an advanced spacecraft the only proof you could get was when something was sucked in, and that would probably be you.

However there is more proof that blackholes exist than more simple things like a soul or the internet (it having no tangible evidence Despite the fact that we can use it). we have detected the anomolous radiation that steven hawking theorised.
0 Replies

marcuslangford

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:42 am
@junuine12,
not forgetting that time also began in the same moment that the universe began. Or perhaps not the first moment since we cannot see that moment and if we could we would be able to view the big bang in that moment.
0 Replies

marcuslangford

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:48 am
@seeker5544,
gravity is a force like the elecrostatic and two nuclear forces.

I think you must be thinking of the gravity problem in that it is much weaker than the other three forces.
0 Replies

marcuslangford

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:53 am
@OmSigDAVID,
When I was fourteen i thought that the universe had an outer skin which could be traversed into another universe. But now I see that the non-existance of space/time beyond the limit of the universe would make it very difficult to travel to another universe beyond that.

according to current theory the boundary is only the non existance of space/time. Think of it more like there is nothing to go on to rather than there is something stopping the universe. Not that I am saying that there is nothing to travel on to just that it would be very difficult to keep travelling with literally no time to travel on with.

It doesn't even matter the universe is expanding at greater than the speed of light, there is no possible way to reach the outer limit anyway.
Abhinandan

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:51 am
@dyslexia,
many things are theoritical , but it has some importance.
0 Replies

Abhinandan

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 09:11 am
ALL THE THINGS PRESENT HERE HAVE LIMITATION IN ITS OWN.FOR EXAMPLE THINK YOURSELF IN middle OF OCEAN YOU MAY THINK THAT THERE IS NO END OF IT , BUT THERE IS .EVERY THINK HAS A LIMIT ,IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW LONG OR LARGE IT IS.IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS MORE ABOUT THIS EMAIL TO ME AT- [email protected] AM ALWAYS AVAILABLE
0 Replies

alfonso grafia

Mon 12 Mar, 2012 06:05 am
@husker,
I dont believe the universe is endless to me it would appear to have no meaning at all nothing is infinite in this world of ours the universe has an end who knows all the stars we see or not are located inside a box? and out of this box is another group of stars similar to what we see now? what do you think?
0 Replies

SinnerPT

Thu 26 Apr, 2012 01:05 pm
What if the boundaries of the universe are not infinite and there is actually a super material which has a very small refraction level that makes us believe that there is no limit because of the lack of reflected or refracted light?

What if the universe has a limit that has not been seen yet? We assume we are confined to this black surrounding because the light that has been traveling since the beggining of times has not found an object from which it could be reflected back to earth.
0 Replies

rajwant grewal

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:28 am
I think only way to know if the universe is limited or infinite is to travel at incredible speed and after say incredible amount of time if you enter the area you have already traveled, then the universe is limited and if not it is limitless. There can not be a boundary or wall of its limit. Same as an ant travel on huge soccer ball and coming to same place after some time. I personally think it is limitless. We have seen things at 13 billion light years away and that makes it 26 billion L.Y. if we drive conclusion what we have already seen. And that is not the limit of universe, that is limit of our eye sight.
spendius

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 01:12 pm
@rajwant grewal,
It just fades into space and it's not worth bothering about.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Tue 18 Dec, 2012 09:52 am
Fish cannot truly fly, so yes, even the sea does.
At atomic level we have no wings.

Event horizon perhaps evidences such to us, much as a 300 degree Celsius vent does to a shark.

Did you know, cold water fish burn in the sun on land, as you might in a bath with hardly any cold water in it?.

I am a physics A grade student and these are the conclusions I believe.

It is all we have as theoretical students, beyond actually venturing, or actually reading theories which may also be as 'off axis' to truth.

What I am saying is that 0 is nowhere near the opposing value to 1.
nothingtodo

Tue 18 Dec, 2012 10:12 am
@nothingtodo,
To clarify, what there might be is anti-matter, I think anti-matter is really a more complex and fine system of vast possibility in which this universe presses up to and resides upon.

Dark matter is also a term slightly in the past as the above post appears to some, to my mind, since darkness is probably not the truth by far.

To find oneself absent of this universe, therefore, would not be the end of awareness, as a collected entity here... Only a shift to unknown complexity, of intermittent (in my opinion) stages of flux through awake, asleep, consciousness of being awake and an eternal loop of alteration at sub sections expansive from those.

As you can see, the 'wrath' of universal force, which is later evidenced as 'caused' by variables linked to the entirety of universal actions, is not entirely unwarranted if irritation is this loop. Awake states of being are suggested to be better than asleep states by many forms of life, this no-doubt causes a choice debate, much like the choice debate theorised as devil V angel.

It requires acceptance to believe this and not insult such as a flaw of those fields, which again taper off to the asleep, in realms distant and unattainable by even this force.
nothingtodo

Tue 18 Dec, 2012 10:32 am
@nothingtodo,
That is how one insults the universe and why no-one is really given, truth......

Now stuff off, its not worth the debate.
0 Replies

philter 35556

Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:32 pm
The universe is sill a mystery.

How it formed it probably formed by a ball of high volume that exploded that caused the universe. Know did the universe always exist. Every thing has a beginning middle and end.

Is it infinity the universe probable is infinity because when maybe the ball of high mass exploded if it has lots of Mass it may be forming know

Will the universe end. It probably can end because if the mass contacts the universe will have lots of mass in the space. So mass will maybe contract back to the ball.

Can it reform. Yes it can when the masses explode. Know if we are lucky we may exist again if atoll the materials are Avalible. If not this will not even tell a second KY will take nothing. Know 999999999999999 years back did you remember something.
0 Replies

philter 35556

Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:35 pm

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/topic-2109
0 Replies

toba beta

Sat 12 Oct, 2013 09:40 pm
In order for us to be able to answer this question, first we all need to have the same definition and perception about "boundary" and "total emptiness". Otherwise, this will be a perpetual QA session.
0 Replies

Jpsy

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 08:14 pm
I guess I will reply to this, although it will probably not be read since it is on the 13th page. I am reading a lot of misconceptions about the big bang and our universe. Someone stated the boundary is where light from the initial big bang is infrared. That infrared light is everywhere in our universe not just on this "edge" or boundary. The big bang was the expansion of all space and time, there is no center or edge. We are just as much in the center as any other galaxy. We with our limited mind cannot picture a 4 dimensional Universe. The only way can visualize is with the 2 dimensional analogy of the surface of a balloon (not the entire 3 dimensional balloon. The expansion of our universe is like drawing all of the galaxies on the surface of the balloon. As the balloon expands the universe gets larger, the distances between the galaxies get larger, but there is no center on the surface of the balloon. There is no outer edge. If you travel on the surface of the balloon you can go around and around for infinity but never reach a boundary.