Does the UNIVERSE have a boundary or OUTER LIMIT?

quinn1

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:50 pm
ahaahaha...I was wonderin if you were gonna do that k
FANTASTIC
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:56 pm
I even posted it to our mothersite.
0 Replies

BillW

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:58 pm
Wonderful littlek. It brings me back to my pat answer for a question like this -

Everyone is always concerned aboout the outer boundry, I'm concerned about the origin. Where is the origin of the Universe?
0 Replies

Booman

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:59 pm
It was always my understanding that at the end of the universe, had to be the supreme being...If you don't believe in a supreme being,... what could be at the end of space?...What folows a vacuum?.....What comes after nothing?....
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:00 pm
BillW - thankee. The origin is at the begining!

Booman- - exactly.
0 Replies

BillW

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:14 pm
littlek, the outer limit is at the end - but where is it. I can show you exactly on a map or in person where Boston is, now I want to see the beginning of the universe.

I equate this to math in that the outer limit is infinity and the beginning is 0. Zero is interesting, in that, using a normal graph - anything to the left/top is negative/positive, to the right/bottom is positive/negative and to the left/bottom is negative/negative. The universe exists only in the right/top or positive/positive.

I digress and I am confused. There I go getting totally esoteric again (and I am not invited-ha).
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:18 pm
how about if the big bang is the begining, then the outer edge is the end? I understand you want to place it on the map, I'm thinking that that thinking may be the wrong way to think (ouch).
0 Replies

BillW

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:22 pm
Wrong way thinking - what a concept! Now you are looking at my inner being! Littlek, your getting much too close and we are going to just have to end this relationship.

Crying or Very sad Embarrassed Cool :wink: Smile Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:24 pm
oh dear. Maybe "wrong" was the wrong word.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:26 pm
ooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:28 pm
The Universe may or may not have boundaries. Presently, we do not have the means to detect the boundries should they exist. Over roughly the past half millenia , every generation or so, our ability to see more of the universe has expanded ... from Gallileo's crude lenses to today's space-dwelling multi-spectral observatories we've learned quite a bit and altered our perception of The Universe many times. I suspect this will go on for a while. There are yet surprises in store.

timber
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:53 pm
I agree about future findings Timber, there will always be more to learn about the universe, after all, it's infinite.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:12 am
K: I thought there was a bit of a stink with that URL you posted, and then I realised it was only a PONG!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:48 am
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
it was only a PONG!

ONLY a Pong?!?!?!
Migawd, bib ... that's akin to calling Guttenberg's Bible "Only a book"! Laughing

timber
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:56 am
True, so true. Sad
0 Replies

littlek

Wed 8 Jan, 2003 07:42 pm
Baby gallaxies

So, these new Hubble images are supposed to be showing some gallaxies that are 13 billion light years away - or less than 2 billion years old. At the end of the article the author says that the ultimate goal is to find galaxies less than 1 billion years old. That's still a far way off from the start of the universe or the edge of the universe.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 8 Jan, 2003 07:47 pm
Around a century ago, the existence of galaxies other than our own was not an assumption. The more we learn, the more we learn there is to learn. Perhaps that in itself is infinity.

timber
0 Replies

Wilso

Sun 12 Jan, 2003 07:04 pm
If it does end, what's after it?
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 12 Jan, 2003 08:05 pm
nothing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sun 12 Jan, 2003 08:13 pm