Passion bumped out by the Living Dead

Camille

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:01 am
Dawn of the Dead whipped the Passion this weekend. Passion was down 40% from the previous weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2004&wknd=12&p=.htm

Was the Passion a short term blockbuster because of the church buyout of tickets and a slow movie release period or do you think it will hold it's own in months to come to become a top 10 grosser?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 920 • Replies: 6
No top replies

doglover

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:24 am
I think it's ironic and funny that a movie titiled "Dawn of the Dead" would knock "The Passion" off it's money making pedistal.

"The Passion" will go the way of the movie "The Last Temptation Of Christ", which, IMO, was a piece of trash too.

"The Passion" is nothing more than a flash in the pan. It isn't going to be a classic the way the movies "The Greatest Story Ever Told" or "Jesus Of Nazareth" are. They were beautiful, inspiring and moving movies about the life and death of Jesus Christ.

It's going to be interesting to see how "The Passion" is remembered 20 years from now and if the next generation of Christians will accept or reject it's violence and misreprentation of Jesus' crucifixion.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 09:09 am
If Passion was Good Friday, then Dawn of the Dead must be Easter?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 09:33 am
It's already made nearly $300 million, which, I believe makes it already the 18th highest grossing film of all time. It is unusual for even a highly successful film to stay in the #1 position for very long.
0 Replies

Brini Maxwell

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:46 pm
I wonder how much it would have made if the churches hadn't bought all the advance tickets. That's rather unprecendented to get organized religion to back a film with dollars.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:56 pm
I have to say that I loved this bit of news today.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:50 am
The irony of a film about humans who don't remain dead knocking off "Passion" at the box office should cause some to chuckle to themselves.
0 Replies