Air strike-Hamas Founder dead

Thok

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 11:23 pm
Hamas chief killed in air strike
Yassin was being pushed in his wheelchair when he was attacked
The leader of the Palestinian militant group Hamas, Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, has been killed in an Israeli air strike.
Surprised
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3556099.stm

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/03/21/yassin/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,378 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 11:27 pm
Striking at a symbolic leader who is quadriplegic will not improve Israel's security.

But I suspect that was not their intention. Sigh.

I hope the Palestinians retaliation does not materialize at the same time that I recognize the futility of this hope.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:36 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Striking at a symbolic leader who is quadriplegic will not improve Israel's security.

But I suspect that was not their intention. Sigh.

I hope the Palestinians retaliation does not materialize at the same time that I recognize the futility of this hope.

And here it is:We will cut off Sharon's Head
Quote:

Last Update: 22/03/2004 08:16
Hamas: Sharon has opened the gates of hell
By Arnon Regular, Haaretz Correspondent, News Agencies and Haaretz Service

Hamas leaders vowed Monday to "cut off" the head of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, after their spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin was killed in a missile strike by Israeli helicopter gunships in Gaza City.
"Sharon has opened the gates of hell and nothing will stop us from cutting off his head," leaders of the radical Islamic group vowed.

"Words cannot describe the emotion of anger and hate inside our hearts," said Hamas official Ismail Haniyeh, a close associate of Yassin in Gaza. He said that "the enemy should expect a response that will turn the ground under his feet to hell."

Neitheh side really wants peace. Only power. Sad
0 Replies

Lusatian

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:25 am
Excellent news. Hearts across the world may spew bleeding torrents, but the fact of the matter is that a man, a terrorist, one of the most successful in the world, was killed in the same manner that he brutally murdered hundreds and thousands of innocents. This man was a terrorist, a murderer, and even worse a cosmic inspiration for an entire generation of terrorists and murderers. Anyone who condemns the execution of justice practically supports Yassin's actions. Such persons do not even merit my eternal contempt.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:21 am
Quote:
Not why,but why not in the past
said Israels minister Shalom.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:30 am
Lusatian wrote:
Anyone who condemns the execution of justice practically supports Yassin's actions. Such persons do not even merit my eternal contempt.

I condemn it.

This was an missle attack using 2 helicopter gunships against an old man in a wheelchair. In addition to a quadreplegic, seven other people were killed.

In addtion to being a cowardly attack, it was just stupid. Israel has maintained a repressive occupation with this type of brutal force for nearly 50 years now. When will they learn.

I hope I merit your eternal contempt.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:19 am
I too hope I merit your eternal contempt Lusatian because your flippant and poorly thought comments quite frequently garner mine.

He had no operative functions and was merely symbolic. Attacking him was just a symbolic move aimed at keeping the excuse for occupation alive.

The terrorism of the Palestinians serves as a pretext for Israeli expansionism.

Whenever there is a lull and Isreal fears it might actually ahve to give up land they use this form of assasination to provoke a response and heat things up.

As long as there is strife, Israel can continue to expand. When goes out of its way to provoke escalation when they feel the pressure that is a lull.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:27 am
They used to crucify spiritual leaders in that part of the world. Now they just shoot them out of their wheelchair. bet he didn't see it coming!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:32 am
What could be more calculated to stir up the Arabs?

They shoot a religious leader, who is a wheelchair-bound quadraplegic, as he comes out of a mosque after prayers, using a helicopter gunship.

And the Israelis say they want peace? Does it appear that way to you?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:47 am
McTag wrote:
What could be more calculated to stir up the Arabs?

They shoot a religious leader, who is a wheelchair-bound quadraplegic, as he comes out of a mosque after prayers, using a helicopter gunship.

And the Israelis say they want peace? Does it appear that way to you?
Look at the history of Sharon.

Does it seem like he wants peace?
I'll just throw some carrots in the pot:

- Sabra and Shatila, september 1982
- Temple Mount september 2000
- Jenin refugee camp April 2002

And this is just a very short résumé of his political career.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:56 am
Allways be carefull with "the Israelis" "the jews"
Same for "the Arabs" and "the terrorists".

Not all jews are zionist, and not all Israeli are hawks.

Not all Arabs are fundamentalists. Not all Arabs carrying a gun are terrorists. I prefer calling the palestinians fighting against the military incursions freedomfighters.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:18 pm
While I agree Israel should get the hell out of Gaza if they truly want peace; I'll shed no tears for this terrorist. Good riddance.
0 Replies

Lusatian

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:34 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
This was an missle attack using 2 helicopter gunships against an old man in a wheelchair. In addition to a quadreplegic, seven other people were killed.

A poor quadreplegic old man in a wheelchair - Then following that rationale, should Osama Bin Laden become paralyzed from his ailments and necessitate a wheelchair he should become automatically absolved of his actions.

Who knows, perhaps had Hitler survived the war, but been a quadreplegic he should have escaped justice.

Do your homework! Find out how many innocents have been killed by Hamas bombs. Yassin founded Hamas, led Hamas for almost 2 decades, then became its inspirational leader (don't be fooled by the pleasantry of the word inspirational). And you still defend him?

Craven de Kere wrote:
He had no operative functions and was merely symbolic. Attacking him was just a symbolic move aimed at keeping the excuse for occupation alive.

The terrorism of the Palestinians serves as a pretext for Israeli expansionism.

Same question Craven. Same question, if Osama loses operative functions in five years after being holed up in caves we should, by your reasoning, allow him to live in peace. "Oh, don't touch him, he's leaving his Mosque after prayer."

And, please "Israeli expansion", you don't believe that, do you?

Israel's territory has not increased an inch in 40 years. The last time they "expanded" was after they were attacked by surprise by a united Arab coalition. Israel has never unilaterally invaded its neighbors. They have kept hard-fought ground, with the claim that this terrain protects them militarily (i.e. Golan Heights, West Bank). The country is tiny, how on earth can you argue expansion?

(By the way, you do know that Israel is planning to withdraw from the Gaza Strip).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:50 pm
I see the problem with Israel actions in the same light as I see Bush Admin actions, some may very well be legitimate but there is such a dis-connect with credibility that nothing is believed.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:54 pm
Lusatian,

What's your point. You are letting your obvoiusly one-sided emotions get in the way of the facts.

The fact is that this was an attack on a wheelchair bound quadraplegic leaving prayers using 2 helicopters firing missles.. During this attack 7 other people were killed.

The fact is that Israel and Hamas are both guilty of killing countless innocents. They are both following an inane policy of escalating violence when other options are available.

The fact is that morally speaking there is scant little difference between Sharon and Yassin (other than that one has helicopter gunships). They have both presided over heinous crimes involving the death of innocents.

They both have fanatic followers who use the language of war and hate to justify these crimes.

Finally this is just wrong...

Quote:

Israel's territory has not increased an inch in 40 years. The last time they "expanded" was after they were attacked by surprise by a united Arab coalition. Israel has never unilaterally invaded its neighbors. They have kept hard-fought ground, with the claim that this terrain protects them militarily (i.e. Golan Heights, West Bank). The country is tiny, how on earth can you argue expansion?

During past 40 years (I assume you are referring to what has happened after 1967), There have been countless settlments built and expanded. The "security fence" also represents an expansion beyond 1967 borders.

The struggle in Israel is not between Sharon and Hamas. Sharon and Hamas are on the same side. They both are acting to keep the escalating cycle of violence going. They both benefit every time a civilian, Israeli or Arab, is killed.

The struggle is between the people on both sides who want war, and those who want peace.

The assassination yesterday was a great victory for Sharon and Hamas.

I am sad that you are so determined to cheer the violence that continues to take the lives of so many Israeli's and Palestinians.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 01:02 pm
Lusatian wrote:

A poor quadreplegic old man in a wheelchair - Then following that rationale, should Osama Bin Laden become paralyzed from his ailments and necessitate a wheelchair he should become automatically absolved of his actions.

Who knows, perhaps had Hitler survived the war, but been a quadreplegic he should have escaped justice.

Nope. You miss the point entirely, his handicapped status is not an appeal to pity. I've no pity for him.

It is a comment on the fact that he is only a symbolic figure. The assasinations should not be used for symbolic purposes.

If he was a legitimate threat, and killing him would improve Israeli security I'd be all for it.

But few could mount an argument that this will do anything to improve Israeli security.

If they wanted to bring him to justics they should have, but this assasination is a typical Israeli move to heep the heat high and keep American pressure for negotiations away.

Quote:
Do your homework!

I have done my homework. And am confident that I know as much and probably more about this than do you, despite your own confidence in theis regard.

Quote:
Find out how many innocents have been killed by Hamas bombs. Yassin founded Hamas, led Hamas for almost 2 decades, then became its inspirational leader (don't be fooled by the pleasantry of the word inspirational). And you still defend him?

You exhibit the simple mindset wherein criticism of Israeli acts must be equated with support or defense of him.

I have no support for him, and have no remorse about his death.

This does not mean I do not condemn Israel's act as one calculated to avoid conflict resolution.

Want to bring a guy to justice? Arrest him.

Want to prevent an immediate threat? Use a targeted killing/assasination (there needs to be a clear danger posed by the individual to neglect any attempt to detain and move straight to adventurous strikes).

What I do not support is Israel's use of assasination to prolong the conflict and stall a resolution in which they'd have to cease to expand.

This has nothing to do with sympathy or defense of the old fool.

Quote:
Same question Craven. Same question, if Osama loses operative functions in five years after being holed up in caves we should, by your reasoning, allow him to live in peace. "Oh, don't touch him, he's leaving his Mosque after prayer."

No, and I've answered your childish line of questioning already.

Quote:
And, please "Israeli expansion", you don't believe that, do you?

Of course I do. Look at a map, they are expanding. Any of us have access to the satellite imagery to prove this.

They have strong political parties that make no secret whatsoever of their desire for greater Isreal and to "transfer"/ethnically cleanse the area.

Lusatian, I fear it is you who must do your homework. I can cite Israel's ruling party stating intent to continue to expand.

Quote:
Israel's territory has not increased an inch in 40 years.

Bullshit. Again, you need to do your homework.

Quote:
The last time they "expanded" was after they were attacked by surprise by a united Arab coalition.

Bullshit, they are expanding daily with strategic settlement and the longer they can stall resolution the better their chances of keeping them (e.g. building fences to include them).

Quote:
Israel has never unilaterally invaded its neighbors.

This is arguable. Eminently arguable.

Quote:
They have kept hard-fought ground, with the claim that this terrain protects them militarily (i.e. Golan Heights, West Bank). The country is tiny, how on earth can you argue expansion?

Because, it has expanded. Rolling Eyes

The security excuse is weak, by that reasoning any small nation has a right to their neighbours land with teh only criteria being conflict with them.

Moves such as this one are calculated for teh specific purpose of keeping the tension going.

Quote:
(By the way, you do know that Israel is planning to withdraw from the Gaza Strip).

I applaud many of Sharon's bold moves. I continue to hope that he stands down his zealots who openly wish for expansion and who oppose anything that would hinder it (even at the cost of ISraeli security).

I support unilateral withdrawal. I support the sane Israelis.

What I don't support is simple-minded adventurism based more on vengance than conflict resolution.

What I don't support is the simple-minded logic you exhibit in which criticism of the timing and method of an Israeli move is equated to support for terrorism. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 01:29 pm
Welcome back, frolic, btw - long not seen!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 01:47 pm
Sheikh Yassin was of course a cruel, terrorist leader, responsible for hundreds of Israeli dead (for he formed Hamas), but...what is the point of killing him this way? Does it really contribute something to the peace process? Does it lower the rate of suicideattacks?
It is foolish to believe that without Yassin, Hamas will reduce or quit with their (suicide)attacks (although it would be very good if they WOULD do that).
Lusatian, I do not wish to attack you by calling you "childish" or something. I mean, I saw an Israeli on the television who said "I rather want my son going to school safely than staying inside the borders of international law" - a purely logical reaction, for I do not think we can imagine how strong the emotions are among the Israeli people (like we can not imagine the emotions among the Palestinian people). But eventually, a government should act according to international law with full responsibility - and that is not what happened today.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:08 pm
Rick=>hail hail, I can't agree more!

I've seen the same interview on the same channel (Nederland 2)

BTW, It is outrageous that politicians congratulate eachother for the killing of a political opponent.
This is back to the Old Testament, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth!
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:10 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Welcome back, frolic, btw - long not seen!

thanx, the return of the lost son Laughing
0 Replies