Beyond tribalism; How well does your religious label serve you?

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 03:42 am
@IRFRANK,
I've made this point again and again. Religion just doesn't come up in my day-to-day life, unless some proselytizers come to the door. Before i began discussing things online, i could go from one year to the next without ever discussing religion once.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 03:58 am
@MattDavis,
The NHS, immigration, banker's bonuses, and currently, press regulation to stop intrusive journalism.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21796866
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 05:27 am
I did not question religion and society at large due to upbringing or education, when I was young. I developed my attitude in spite of these things. By the time my atheism was settled, I had not had a class in science, at least not one advanced to mention evolution and technology. My family was not anti religion. I am certain they would have been shocked had I confided in them my lack of faith. I have mentioned on this forum more than once that I tried unsuccessfully to get indoctrinated by religion, but it failed to take. I never mentioned my atheism to another soul until people began trying to force me to accept their faith as my faith. People who view the world in terms of religion must feel we are a religious species, I suppose because they conceive no choice in the matter. If that is how they feel it is no skin off my nose. Just don't try to inflict that view upon me and we will never have to argue in such matters.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 06:01 am
@edgarblythe,
Sorry, I don't buy it. The experience of atheists isn't different in any real way from the experience of any other human.

The idea that atheists as a group aren't like anyone else because they aren't part of a group is not only logically inconsistent, it is also unrealistic. Atheists are human, and American and some even participate in religious activities.

Humans are social animals. We live in society and makes bonds with people around us. We get our values and world view and ideas about how we fit in the world from the community we are a part of. Religion has nothing to do with this.

If you don't have a sense of community that has nothing to do with whether you believe in God or not. It means you aren't social and there are people of every religious belief that fit in that description. It certainly has nothing to do with atheism.

I was brought up in evangelical Christianity where the "testimonial" is a common ritual where a person talks about how they "came to Jesus". It struck me as a little funny reading similar testimonials about how people "came to Atheism",

Now that we have Atheist testimonials, I suppose this could turn into a kind of Atheist revival meeting.

Humans an
ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 06:26 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
.A good question is, what would replace the church for social behavior for atheists or agnostics?

that seems like an odd question to me. I've never been a member of a church that serves any sort of social role or has any social requirements.

what social function does church offer?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 06:27 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
If people start to pray, I either walk away or think of a Buddhist prayer.

in what kind of situation would you be where people start to pray? are you attending their church/es?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 06:27 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
The words "agnostic" and "atheistic" just seem to generate heat...

Maybe in America, but not over here.

same (no heat) thing here
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 06:29 am
@ehBeth,
There are also atheists who go to church. I know a faithful catholic who is an atheist. I also know someone who goes to synagogue fairly regularly as an atheist.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 06:30 am
@maxdancona,
ok

what's your point?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 06:33 am
@ehBeth,
My point is that being atheist isn't responsible for making someone non-social. There are lots of atheists who are well connected in a strong community (religious or not). There are also religious people are are not social (I thought you were making the same point).

The word atheist should just mean "someone who doesn't believe in any deity". That definition has nothing to do with how a person lives or whether they are religious or not.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 06:40 am
We already have a black president...and I would not be surprised to see a woman president in the near future.

The chances of us having an acknowledged atheist or agnostic as president seem unimaginable.

You've gotta be able to end a speech with, "...and GOD BLESS the United States of America!"...or you do not have a chance.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 06:41 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The idea that atheists as a group aren't like anyone else because they aren't part of a group is not only logically inconsistent, it is also unrealistic. Atheists are human, and American and some even participate in religious activities.

but they're not part of an atheist group - they're just individual atheists
BillRM

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 07:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The chances of us having an acknowledged atheist or agnostic as president seem unimaginable.

Somehow I do not think that would matter all that must to the people that for example voted for Obama and your comment could have been make concerning having a black man as President or a Catholic a few generations before.

Next see President Jeffereson and his very public statements so we already had have such a President way back in the days that is claimed to be the good old days by the far right Christians of today.

Hell Jefferson was attacked in the press of his days for being an Atheist during his whole career.

Quote:
"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors." (Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823)

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 07:09 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
but they're not part of an atheist group - they're just individual atheists

... who are dreaming that someday one of their own might be elected president...
BillRM

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 07:19 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
who are dreaming that someday one of their own might be elected president...

An event that had happen over two hundreds years ago.......I know that some people on this website are a little behind the times but come on now........LOL
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 07:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
This atheist may have social needs, but not as part of a herd.

I don't understand. Doesn't 'social needs' indicate a group? society?
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 07:29 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
what social function does church offer?

Group meetings at least once a week. Pot luck dinners. A lot of children's sports are centered around the church, Upward soccer / basketball for instance.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 07:32 am
@ehBeth,
Sports. College football games here in the south have an invocation. Many of our group activities start with a prayer. Not uncommon here in the south. No, I do not attend others churches. It's not unusual for groups to sit down to dinner and start to pray. But, there is usually no expectation of participation.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 07:33 am
@maxdancona,
By the way, Max...I have shared your sig line with a couple of poker playing friends of mine...and they have offered their thanks for that bit of wisdom.

How very true...and something they (and I) will keep in mind when soon we start playing poker here in New Jersey legally once again.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 08:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks Frank (but don't share it too much with people I might meet). It seems there aren't too many poker threads here.