The Art Of Writing Letters To Friends and Loved Ones

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:09 am
Quote:
Postmark: Nov 10, 1958, 9:30 a.m. Palisade, Colo.

(Remember when post marks actually gave you a lot of information about your unopened letter?)

A long time ago, my Aunt Pearl wrote:
November 9, 1958

Dear Joanne,

In looking through an old trunk in the basement, I came across a box of stationary which was given me by your Great Uncle Jess. He was in the Marines at the time and stationed in Japan. Hoarder that I am I had kept it this 45 years. Probably when he sent it to me it was white. Notice that the scene painted on the envelope is the same or matches the paper. I thought I'd write to my grand nieces and maybe they would enjoy it.

I'm writing on my lap because I'm way out in the country far to the south of our place. Uncle Bill is quail hunting so I am sitting in the car enjoying the scenery and the sunshine.

Today is a beautiful day. The tree haven't lost all their yellow leaves as yet and the poplar along the river [Colorado] look like gold. It is cold at night but so warm in the afternoon. We are waiting for a freeze so all the leaves will fall from the peach trees and your Uncle Bill can start pruning.

We have put in irrigation pipes so now we have no open ditches in front of the place. Uncle Bill thinks it will make it easier to irrigate.

I think of you and your mother often.

My love to you,

Aunt Pearl
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,058 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:31 am
I have some wonderful old letters from a few loved ones as well. They are windows to the past, bringing even the deceased close to us. We lose so much doing it all electronically.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 09:18 pm
Me too edgarblythe I love all my old letters and cards. I enjoy seeing the hand writing of loved the people I loved who are not longer in my life. It, the specific hand writing, seems to me to bring them close again.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 10:53 pm
I agree edgar. I have precious letters and cards from my mother and father, both gone now. Just to see their handwriting, so familiar, so comforting. Always connected.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 11:11 pm
I saved some of my mother's old letters that she recieved from her brother in Japan before WWII. One letter asked my mother for a wrist watch. I don't know whether she sent it or not. I asked a stamp collector if the stamp had any value, but he said it was too common. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 11:24 pm
I have a lot of old letters and cards, though I threw whole batches out. I can't answer the poll - I do send cards with a short letter on them sometimes; if it's a long letter, I'll type it and print it out. I still get a fair amount of post cards and birthday cards from people, they know I love to get them.

But, mostly I connect by email.
0 Replies