How to eliminate useless work and stop wasting time?

tomster

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 10:03 am
I am in my last year of school before university, which means my exams are coming up. And I am in France, which means I have 10 subjects (maths, physics-chemistry, biology-geology, english lit, geography, history, philosophy, spanish, sport and art) and a 35.30 hour week with an hour of transport each way. And I get lots of homework on top of revising for my exams.
My grades are really not great because i can't work efficiently. I know one of the reasons is procrastination, but there are also others such as bad organisation and lack of sleep.
I think this is because i can't differenciate what is important to what isn't, and because i waste time on things by trying to make it too perfect. I don't know how to stop this because i like if i do less, it will worsten my grades, not improve them.
Any ideas ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,579 • Replies: 16
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 10:44 am
Your course load is just too much for you to learn/remember what is necessary for your education. Cut it back to a manageable level where you can schedule your study time by each course during the week and weekends.

You're trying to squeeze too much into your daily schedule to improve your grades.

Each student has their own ways to study; some can even listen to music while studying, but I can't - and it took me awhile to earn my college degree. I was one of those late bloomers. he he he...
roger

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 03:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm not current on educational requirements in France. Are you sure she has the option to cut back on classes.
roger

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 03:10 pm
@tomster,
tomster wrote:

And I get lots of homework on top of revising for my exams.

Tomster, you will be better understood by English speakers if you say "reviewing" instead of "revising".

If I could help with your actual question, I would. Sorry.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 03:18 pm
@roger,
She said "10 subjects." Sounds like an overload to me whether it's a requirement or not! Also the courses looks like core courses that requires a lot of study time.

Here's the recommended study hours per unit.

Quote:
3 credit hours (1 course) = 3 hours in class per week = 6-9 hours study time per week.

12 credit hours (4 courses) = 12 hours in class per week = 24-36 hours study time per week.
0 Replies

tomster

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:53 am
Hey guys
Yes all those subjects are obligatory, eccept art (that's to try and get extra points) and i don't need to revise sport obviously.
But the 8 others were no choice of mine, i would gladly have droped some if i had the choice. Ok sorry "reviewing" if you prefer, sorry as i'm bilingual i sometimes get confused because in french you say "reviser" which is more like "revising" than "reviewing".
Well i'll try and explain my question a little better, but i think i really should ask a french person for this actualy. All the courses and homework is absolutely obligatory but subjects (such as spanish and philosophy) have a lower coefficient than others (such as maths, english, actualy most of the others) at the final exam. This means that they are less important as they will count less. But they still count !
So my question is: will i be better off reviewing those subjects less and concentrating more on the others or not ?
Thanks !
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:09 am
@roger,
There is nothing wrong with using 'revise'. It may not be common in American English but it is totally appropriate and here in Australia (and perhaps the UK?) that would be more common than 'review'.

Edited to add: I just googled 'revising for exams' and got plenty of UK sites.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:52 am
@tomster,
How do you commute? By train and/or bus? If possible study the less important subjects while commuting - especially if you do not have to take notes.
When at your desk always start with the most booring subject and the one you like the least. End up with the easyist and the one you like the best. Why - because you get more and more tired and then the easier and and more liked is like a reward
When you feel you have done a very good and hard work on one subject, put that book under your pillow at night. It helps you sleep better and remember things better the next day. I know it is pure superstition - it helps....
tomster

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 11:09 am
@saab,
I commute by bus and i have to change half way, but that's a good idea (its more productive than listening to my music for an hour !)
Ok i'll try and find the motivation to do the hardest stuff first, i usualy do the easiest first and that obviously doesn't work so thanks.
Are you really sure putting your book under the pillow works ? Haha i'll give it a go we never know...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 11:21 am
@tomster,
I now understand why France has such a high standard educational system.

When I went to college, I studied with two guys who were genius level students, because we were the last students left in Advanced Accounting. They took over 24 units per quarter and got all A's. I took 16 units, and I struggled all through college, but graduated in the top 25% of my class. That alone was a great accomplishment for me, because I almost flunked out of grade school.

saab

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 12:05 pm
@tomster,
Try it - who knows.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 12:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It is difficult to compare the American and European school system.
You go to high school then college and university.
We usually go to school for 12 or 13 years and then to university or other studies. Or we leave school earlier for a practical education.
This is just a general overview that varies from country to country.
There is something called Pisa Test.
http://www.economist.com/news/international/21569689-research-comparing-educational-achievement-between-countries-growing-drawing

France is low on the list. The Asiatic countries high. One of the very best is Finland, but the Scandinavian countries are doing well as a rule.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 01:55 pm
@saab,
I know you are correct; my memory isn't that good, because I thought I saw a list not long ago that placed France pretty high in the educational standards rating.
0 Replies

tomster

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:25 pm
@saab,
Yeah it doesn't surprise me France is low, they try and force too much into our brains and so we get saturated and then forget everything ! (well at least i feel as if that's what happens ;p ).
Plus i hate the french educational system because they just dictate information to us all day, and so we take notes all day and the days are long so its really tirering... and then we have loads of exercises and on average about 3 or 4 tests a week so we constantly have to revise !! And as they are all the time, we end up revising the day before because of the lack of time, which is of course not good because we don't really remember it in the long term.
Anyway i should stop complaining and get on with my life haha
Thanks everyone !!!
saab

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 02:41 am
@tomster,

what you describe there is a mistake made in other countries too.
Teaching should basicly be to teach kids to find learning fun, be curious about finding out more - simply learn how to learn. Learn how to draw connections between things they know. Not just teach learning by heart, remember for the next test and forget.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 11:58 am
@saab,
You have it spot on! Educators with PhD's don't even understand this simple truth; their teaching kids to pass standardize test is the wrong goal. They need to help kids further their interests at the level at which they are able to learn.

Not all kids are interested in math and science; some wish to become craftsmen/women, artists, home builders.....etc., etc., etc.
saab

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 12:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,

we had a very good teacher in history and once she asked this question:
"In what state was the country after the war?"
The A level student said "It is not in our book"
The not A level student said" In a real bad state".
The latter had learnt to draw conclusions.
I cannot even remember which country we talked about but the A student got to be a lousy teacher later in life and the other one had an interesting life.
0 Replies