Philosophy of Technology. It's Significance & Nature

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 01:45 pm
Hello everyone, I'm obviously new to the forums here but I'm looking for some ideas/advice. Hopefully some of you can provide me with some insight. Philosophy of Technology: It's Nature and Significance - This is my first Philosophy course regarding technology specifically. Most recently we've been learning about Martin Heidegger, although he's extremely hard to grasp... I may very well avoid him on these papers. Ignore that last statement, thinking at loud at the moment. Anyways...

For this course, were encouraged to write four papers. You can earn up to 50 points per paper. Here's an abbreviated version of his grading scale, 1150-1900 words (maximum of 16 possible points), 2600-4000 (maximum of 33 possible points), etc. The class has no tests, no exams, no quizzes, no requirements. The students basically teach this course through facilitations and in turn we must design our own assignments/papers. My professor simply guides us through the material, his study focus was on Social Networking/Communication & Technology - exactly why I'd like to avoid topics regarding Social Networking all together. (To get an A in the class you must have 220+ points by the end of the semester) For these papers we are suppose to create our own topics or use a topic suggested by one of my peers (blog site specifically created for the class), they must relate to the class, and/or Philosophy of Technology. After 50+ posts in that blog site, I still have yet to find anything I'd like to write about - but that doesn't mean I don't have some ideas.

My goal of this post is to receive some topic/paper ideas. You can post a specific paper idea, general ideas (which I can in turn build off of), or possibly current events worth writing about. Just really struggling to find something that interests me. My one and only requirement is that if you decide to post an idea, topic, etc. Just be certain it relates to Philosophy of Technology, and try to avoid social networking of all kinds (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) I have 18 days to write two of these four papers, both papers will be at least 15 pages.

Currently considering writing about...
1. Jean-François Lyotard's The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge
2. Bruno Latour's work on the interplay between men and technology. Exploring how scientific facts are constructed phenomena, Latour did research in the laboratories of the scientists themselves.
3. Also considering - Juxtaposing Enlightenment views of technology and the romantic reaction(s) that these, perhaps overly optimistic views, spawned.
4. Bioethics where it intersects with the controversial issue of Euthanasia
5. Whether the state should take an active part in incentives and investment to push their own country in technological sophistication or whether the economy as a free market should be allowed to develop in its own phase. – Thanks to The Voice of Time, since he supplied this topic.

These are just ideas right now, I will begin further readings tonight. But any feedback on the one-five topics above would be very helpful. But also remember to share with me what interests you as well as completely new ideas (in regards to Philosophy of Technology)

Finally, this post ends. Never stop seeking the truth... Peace to all. Feel free to PM or simply respond here, thanks in advance everyone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,574 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JustifiedReflections

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 02:51 pm
@JustifiedReflections,
Anyone have some input?
fresco

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 03:20 pm
@JustifiedReflections,
I think the ethics euthanasia option is easiest to tackle, because you have the overt problem of artificially sustaining life by modern techniques in cases where it would previously "naturally" fail. Also there are the secondary social problems of the costs of extended geriatric care, consequent desires for euthanasia, and their impacts on society at large. But you would obviously need to research the literature on these issues to substantiate your arguments.
JustifiedReflections

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 04:11 pm
@fresco,
Of course of course, these are literally bare-bone basic ideas. Thanks for the input, much appreciated
0 Replies