What is the Virtue of Admitting Ignorance?

JTT

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I do not know the nature of REALITY.

Yes, Frank, you do, you most assuredly do. Your problem is that oftentimes you simply can't face reality.

CI is the same way. We all are sometimes. You just happen to be one of those folks who shine at this. Even when you are avoiding reality with a vengeance, you'll swear on a stack of bibles that you aren't.
JTT

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I do not know what (if anything) must be included; [reality and honesty would be a good start] what (if anything) must be excluded; mendacity
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:06 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5262237)
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, Frank, you do, you most assuredly do. Your problem is that oftentimes you simply can't face reality.

CI is the same way. We all are sometimes. You just happen to be one of those folks who shine at this. Even when you are avoiding reality with a vengeance, you'll swear on a stack of bibles that you aren't.

I have not watched the Academy Awards in years and years, JTT, but tonight I am looking forward to the event. I've seen several of the contenders...and think this year's crop are really good.

Are you going to watch them?
JTT

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
A forced, but pointed reminder of just how practiced you are at what amounts to lying, Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:18 am
@JTT,
In the other thread, I suggested football or music. Let's try one of those topics if you are not interested in movies.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
In the other thread, I suggested football or music. Let's try one of those topics if you are not interested in movies.

Now that you are bringing up movies have you seen any good human rights movies lately? Wink

JTT

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, you quote the reality,

++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++

And then, where do you go? You launch into a train of thought [excuse me for being overindulgent] that has no connection to the reality you quoted.

+++++++++++++++
I have not watched the Academy Awards in years and years, JTT, but tonight I am looking forward to the event. I've seen several of the contenders...and think this year's crop are really good.

+++++++++++++++++

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:43 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5262345)
Quote:

Now that you are bringing movies have you seen any good human right movies lately?

In a way, Lincoln may well be the best "human rights" movies I've ever seen. But mostly I view movies for their entertainment value. (Lincoln, for me at least, was very, very entertaining, RL. Did you see it?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:44 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5262304)
Frank, you quote the reality,

++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++

And then, where do you go? You launch into a train of thought [excuse me for being overindulgent] that has no connection to the reality you quoted.

+++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++

Ummm...are ya?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
In a way, Lincoln may well be the best "human rights" movies I've ever seen. But mostly I view movies for their entertainment value. (Lincoln, for me at least, was very, very entertaining, RL. Did you see it?

No I haven't.
JTT

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Have you ever heard the aphorism, Frank,

It helps not at all to pedal furiously, when your bicycle chain is broken.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:15 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5262368)
Quote:

No I haven't.

If you get the chance, I suggest it is well worth it. Some people think the movie drags a bit...but the acting; the subject matter; the period costumes and settings; and the lessons that can be learned about practical politics are amazing.

Hope you get a chance to see it.

I suspect it will not win the Best Picture award tonight...and will lose to a much lesser picture, Argo.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:18 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5262369)

In Rigoletto, the Duke of Manchua would probably respond, "Questa o Quella!"

Great aria.
JTT

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I guess you haven't, Frank.

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:30 pm
@MattDavis,
Matt, it's nice to see you on A2K. Don't know if this quote has been used, but Thomas Grey observed it:

WHERE ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:31 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5262394)
Quote:

I guess you haven't, Frank.

As far as I know...it is not against the TOS to make guesses...so feel free.

So...what about Verdi? Do you like his music?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:33 pm
@Letty,
Hi, Letty. Long time, no see.

f.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 03:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Skyfall was good.
The ending credit Moby song is one of my favorites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBB2bPwKWVg
Moby has been vegan since 1987 (way less popular back then).
I take some perverse self-gratifying pleasure in thinking that a society should be judged by how it treats it's most vulnerable members. Granting consideration to the powerless, that I think is noble.

By what I take to be your view of knowledge, I don't know anything.
My view of knowledge is a little more intricate that those two categories [guess] and [not guess].
For a visual metaphore:
I view knowledge as a somewhat nebulous structure that is built up from assumptions. When multiple structures built upon differing assumptions align, I imagine these structures superimposing upon each other, with the overlaps becoming less nebulous. More "real".
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 04:04 pm
@Letty,
Thanks Letty Very Happy
Letty wrote:
WHERE ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise. -- Thomas Grey

I wonder just how, and in what circumstances, it is blissful to be unaware.
I think as a general policy it may be disastrous to be unaware.
Perhaps wisdom is knowing where to focus your awareness.
What should be recognized? What should be ignored?

I have chosen (I think wisely Wink ) not to ignore you input.
Thank you. Very Happy
Letty

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 04:14 pm
@MattDavis,
You're welcome Matt. Here is the source of the quote.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173566