Tennesse county moves past Snopes trial to ban gays (update)

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 10:30 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,004 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 10:33 am
I would somehow doubt that they get many gay dudes in that part of Tennessee. I would rather think that any native to the region get out of town at the first opportunity.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 12:03 pm
Setanta, gay people are everywhere, you just don't know it. They don't walk around with a big letter 'G' stamped on their foreheads. I can assure you, they are there, living and working, being productive members of society.

I hope Judge Fugate plans to get the adulterers, pedophiles and good old boys who get drunk and beat up on their wives and kids out of town as well. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 12:16 pm
maybe this, like the Scopes trial, is just a stalking horse to get the whole thing adjudicated. Sometimes we just have to count on the courts to take the action that puts the legislatures in their place. Im never exited about what any legislature is planning. Most state legislatures are populated with slugs from both parties, toadies, goddam pole -lickers
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 12:17 pm
No man's life or property are safe when the legislature is in session.

Sam Clemens
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:33 am
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:41 am
Quote:
Tennesse county moves past Snopes trial to ban gays

Edit the title, dys... makes it sound like a ready-made hoax!

Insofar as the Scopes trial... they won the battle, but they lost the war. Would love to see this century's crop of haters suceed in the same manner.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 09:31 am
The dip sticks have already had to back away somewhat.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:30 am
Aw, I thought Snopes Trial had a certain charm.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:15 am
So did I Rog'... but it's no hoax.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 03:00 am
I am allowed to say this since I am from Kentucky. What a bunch of ignorant hillbillies!! I would strongly suggest that any gay person move away from this place. There are much better in the US and with more financial opportunity than this hick town has to offer. I think these people are living in the dark ages. Who really cares about what anyone does in their bedroom? I don't.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:23 am
Wildflower63 wrote:
I am allowed to say this since I am from Kentucky. What a bunch of ignorant hillbillies!! I would strongly suggest that any gay person move away from this place. There are much better in the US and with more financial opportunity than this hick town has to offer. I think these people are living in the dark ages. Who really cares about what anyone does in their bedroom? I don't.

You are living proof Wildflower that not everyone who lives in Knetucky is an ignorant hillbilly. I noted in your profile you're an RN. It's good to know that there are at least some enlightened and educated people down there!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:27 am
Borned on a mountain top in Tennessee
Greenest state in the land of the free
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:17 am
Perhaps those particular lawmakers live in counties in Tenn., where drinking is allowed?
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 03:59 am
I don't know about TN, but there are to date quite a few dry counties in KY. It sounds to me like a case of religion going too far. I honestly think that people in more rural areas live so isolated, that church is used as a means of socialization. They also want to be good people by following the Bible. It may be a fear factor primarily, leading to bigotry, then acts against another who does not have the same sexual preference that, somewhere in the Bible, says this is sinful behavior.

I am not religious myself, but feel religion does offer something to society in a good way. There are also a few bad things. I do not believe it is the Christian way to burn witches or make laws criminalizing someone for sexual preference, what they see as a sin. What would Jesus have to say about that? Nothing too good, I am pretty sure.

All of this gay hatred goes right from the Bible from people who think they are making a stand in God's name. Look at what they are doing! I do not see how love for another and a committed relationship where same sex couples are not allowed to marry by church, fine. It is not in their beliefs. I think law should separate from this stupidity and allow any marriage by any who wish it. Please leave religion out of our law!

The whole joke of homosexual relationships is the fact that they cannot reproduce. I question exactly what of sexual behavior may lead to the birth of an innocent life in far less than idea circumstance?

What is this religious "Right to Life" thing about? Giving birth to children who are of parents that cannot psychologically of financially give what any parent should to a child? To me, this is sheer stupidity and irresponsibility on the part of both parents, who are often teens. Kids should never be having kids! Common sense.

I believe that lack of birth control of the time of the Bible dictated responsible behavior, such as no sex before marriage as an act of responsibility for a life you may bring into this world, which is just of the time. Women had no rights at all then. They could not support their children.

Live-in relationships give no incentive to try, as marriage does. Give them this legal right and leave religion out of it. Gay people are hurting no one! They have a right to free choice as any of us.

I had a friend with no clue who her son's father is at all. She went on welfare for years. I sure would never want to tell a child of mine that they have no paternal side of the family because I just don't really know. You mean that you had so many sexual partners in a month that you can't figure this out?

This is a horrible sin, in my opinion, that gay people cannot realistically do. They can use sperm donors or a sexual act. This isn't unlike adoption at all. These are very wanted and planned children that this couple has ever intention of giving to that life. I see a huge difference between this and a welfare mom who has no clue who her son's father is by her own irresponsible behavior.

Personally speaking, I would never bring life into this world that was not agreed upon by both parents. Fathers should have choice, just as mothers do. It is up to women to make this decision, since we have no effective male birth control to date that allow men this choice women have.

I feel the same towards homosexuals that agree upon a child. There is a boys in a home that I could walk to. Most all are adoptable, but too old and taken from abusive parents who gave up rights towards them.

Homosexual male couples could offer these boys something better than an orphan. They are not allowed. Why? Homosexual men could competently guide, as a committed couple, an older boy that needs someone and some opportunity in life, but are denied because they are gay men. People are stupid. They are not pedophiles!

I agree completely of standards. You cannot allow a minor to be like a dog at the pound that anyone can adopt with no background to deem them worthy, no matter hetro or homo. The same standards should apply. Marriage is a problem for homo men who can give these boys a better life. The law does not allow this sort of legal commitment, but should.

Homosexuals cannot produce children that heterosexuals can. What sin is really among the seriously wrong here? Easy, heterosexual behavior by bringing unwanted children into the world the cannot provide for.

Be responsible for your behavior, no matter what your sexual preference is. The last thing Americans need are bedroom police who criminalize us for personal choice of a partner in life, married or unmarried. Why are they just going after homosexuals?

There are plenty of sinful live-in relationships that I see as a Biblical equal in sin, but they don't persecute that and shouldn't, as they should leave gay people alone to live a productive life. This is clearly so wrong.

People often hate what they don't understand and use the Bible to back them as right. How far off base can you really get? What part of separation of church and state don't they get?

Laws of the past were made for years of Christian religious beliefs. The only reason we are not allowed to practice multiple marriage was to destroy the sinful Mormons who immigrated to the west to criminalize them for their religious practice by Christians. Seriously!

Many times a complete Atheist can be much more moral than a religious person, with the use of ethics. I have no feeling that Heaven or Hell even exist, as religious people do and fear Hell. How much blood has been shed in the name of religion? I don't see murder in the name of any God as just. I also do not see law abiding gay citizens being persecuted as right.

People are often ignorant and uninformed. Many people equate homosexuals as pedophiles. Sorry, but this is a completely different type of issue. I hear this in every homosexual debate. They don't understand the vast difference between the two and object to a gay school teacher. I don't at all. I did have a male gay third grade teacher. He was creative with students with teaching and always helped any student falling behind. He was in the closet because he had to be. You know it when you see it. This guy was a flamer and a fantastic teacher, not a pedophile at all, just gay.

This is unjust to deny any gay person employment. They do have something to offer society, as we all do. Pedophiles belong in the electric chair. Gay people have consensual adult relationships. Big difference!

Religious idiots will wrongly attack a homosexual with no understanding at all of the difference between them and a pedophile, who may not utilize homosexual behavior at all. Many don't. They are adult men who wish to have sex with little girls. There is also a preference for same sex children.

These are very sick people who will repeat crimes by manipulating children. There is no cure for them, to date. The Catholic church is getting quite famous for this sort of thing. I have to say the church is begging for this sort of individual. They are not interested in women. No wonder it is so easy for them to take that vow of celibacy! Their interest is in children, sexually speaking. Talk about people who really should rot in Hell!!

I think many people get carried away by the idea of religion and completely miss the point, the better way of living life as written in the Bible. They persecute and hate, which I don't believe is within any religion. Ignorance prevails at times!
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 04:10 am
wildflower,

no argument here.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 04:31 am
The problem with this country is that we elect a-holes like this into high places. This story just angers me and I have nothing constructive to say other than I can't believe that this kind of stuff still goes on in the 21st century. Will the human race ever evolve? This politician should be thrown out of office just for suggesting such a thing. Better yet, put him in prison and strap a carton of luckies to his arse and let him experience the gay life first hand!
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 04:48 am
doglover,

What's that letter "G" on the forehead mean then? :wink:
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 12:10 pm
Wildflower63 wrote:
I don't know about TN, but there are to date quite a few dry counties in KY. It sounds to me like a case of religion going too far. I honestly think that people in more rural areas live so isolated, that church is used as a means of socialization. They also want to be good people by following the Bible. It may be a fear factor primarily, leading to bigotry, then acts against another who does not have the same sexual preference that, somewhere in the Bible, says this is sinful behavior.

People fear what they do not understand.
Quote:
I am not religious myself, but feel religion does offer something to society in a good way. There are also a few bad things. I do not believe it is the Christian way to burn witches or make laws criminalizing someone for sexual preference, what they see as a sin. What would Jesus have to say about that? Nothing too good, I am pretty sure.

I was baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran faith. While I do attend church, I consider myself more spiritual than religous. My church teaches first and foremost that God is LOVE. If Jesus were walking the earth today, I don't think he would be a member of Pat Robertson's 700 Club!
Quote:
All of this gay hatred goes right from the Bible from people who think they are making a stand in God's name. Look at what they are doing! I do not see how love for another and a committed relationship where same sex couples are not allowed to marry by church, fine. It is not in their beliefs. I think law should separate from this stupidity and allow any marriage by any who wish it. Please leave religion out of our law!

No where in the Bible does it say that homosexuals shoud be hated and feared. The right wing fundamentalists choose certain verses in the Bible to justify their predjudice against them. I think civil unions should be allowed and recognized by all 50 states. As for holy matrimony, let each denomination decide for itself if it will sanction same sex marriage.
Quote:
The whole joke of homosexual relationships is the fact that they cannot reproduce. I question exactly what of sexual behavior may lead to the birth of an innocent life in far less than idea circumstance?

Lots of straight couples marry and never reproduce. Should couples who don't want to have children not be allowed to marry? What if the couple has fertility problems? Should they then be allowed to marry? If having children is a criteria for marriage, then many straight people wouldn't be allowed to marry, now would they.
Quote:
What is this religious "Right to Life" thing about? Giving birth to children who are of parents that cannot psychologically of financially give what any parent should to a child? To me, this is sheer stupidity and irresponsibility on the part of both parents, who are often teens. Kids should never be having kids! Common sense.

The so called Right to Life is more about wanting the right to control other peoples reproductive decisions. These same Right to Life advocates are the very same people who, after the child is born, complain because the welfare rolls are too big and they pay too many taxes to support such programs. These people insist these babies be born, but want to abandon them when they become children. Go figure. Rolling Eyes
Quote:
I believe that lack of birth control of the time of the Bible dictated responsible behavior, such as no sex before marriage as an act of responsibility for a life you may bring into this world, which is just of the time. Women had no rights at all then. They could not support their children.

Yeah, back then, there we no drug stores in which to buy condoms or spermicidal cremes or no docs to prescribe birth control pills, IUD's or diaphrams!
Quote:
Live-in relationships give no incentive to try, as marriage does. Give them this legal right and leave religion out of it. Gay people are hurting no one! They have a right to free choice as any of us.

Ironic, isn't it, that the religous right say that two people living together in a sexual relationship is 'living in sin' and are deeply against such a lifestyle. But when those same two people want to commit to one another and create a family those same people will fight tooth and nail to prevent them from marrying. Talk about hypocritical thinking!
Quote:
I had a friend with no clue who her son's father is at all. She went on welfare for years. I sure would never want to tell a child of mine that they have no paternal side of the family because I just don't really know. You mean that you had so many sexual partners in a month that you can't figure this out?

Screwed up straight people have done far more damage to the family structure than anyone in the gay community have.
Quote:
This is a horrible sin, in my opinion, that gay people cannot realistically do. They can use sperm donors or a sexual act. This isn't unlike adoption at all. These are very wanted and planned children that this couple has ever intention of giving to that life. I see a huge difference between this and a welfare mom who has no clue who her son's father is by her own irresponsible behavior.

I am opposed to children being concived by a unknown sperm donor. I don't think the fact that women who sleep with several men and don't have a clue as to which one the father is, justifies a gay or straight couple resorting to a sperm or egg donor to conceive a child. I believe there are already enough children in this world that need good and loving homes. Why create more children. Let's take care of the ones that are already here.
Quote:
Personally speaking, I would never bring life into this world that was not agreed upon by both parents. Fathers should have choice, just as mothers do. It is up to women to make this decision, since we have no effective male birth control to date that allow men this choice women have.

Men have effective birth control. They can keep it in their pants. :wink:
Quote:
I feel the same towards homosexuals that agree upon a child. There is a boys in a home that I could walk to. Most all are adoptable, but too old and taken from abusive parents who gave up rights towards them.

That's very sad to know that there are so many throw away kids out there. That's why I believe the children who are already here and need a loving home should be adopted in lieu of creating more children with the help of a sperm bank.
Quote:
Homosexual male couples could offer these boys something better than an orphan. They are not allowed. Why? Homosexual men could competently guide, as a committed couple, an older boy that needs someone and some opportunity in life, but are denied because they are gay men. People are stupid. They are not pedophiles!

Many more girls are sexually abused by their straight fathers.
Quote:
I agree completely of standards. You cannot allow a minor to be like a dog at the pound that anyone can adopt with no background to deem them worthy, no matter hetro or homo. The same standards should apply. Marriage is a problem for homo men who can give these boys a better life. The law does not allow this sort of legal commitment, but should.

Bigotry, plain and simple.
Quote:
Be responsible for your behavior, no matter what your sexual preference is. The last thing Americans need are bedroom police who criminalize us for personal choice of a partner in life, married or unmarried. Why are they just going after homosexuals?

Homosexuals are the soup de jour for the Bush administration. He needs the Christian vote come November and is encouraging fear and bigotry to invigorate his base to get out and vote.
Quote:
People often hate what they don't understand and use the Bible to back them as right. How far off base can you really get? What part of separation of church and state don't they get?

The religous right in this country is no different from the Taliban in Afghanastan
Quote:
Many times a complete Atheist can be much more moral than a religious person, with the use of ethics. I have no feeling that Heaven or Hell even exist, as religious people do and fear Hell. How much blood has been shed in the name of religion? I don't see murder in the name of any God as just. I also do not see law abiding gay citizens being persecuted as right.

I believe in heaven, but I don't believe in hell. The God I believe in and worship is a God of unconditional love and forgiveness. Christ died on the cross for ALL our sins and paid the price in hell for all of mankind for eternity. More people have died in the name of religon than from any other cause.
Quote:
People are often ignorant and uninformed. Many people equate homosexuals as pedophiles. Sorry, but this is a completely different type of issue. I hear this in every homosexual debate. They don't understand the vast difference between the two and object to a gay school teacher. I don't at all. I did have a male gay third grade teacher. He was creative with students with teaching and always helped any student falling behind. He was in the closet because he had to be. You know it when you see it. This guy was a flamer and a fantastic teacher, not a pedophile at all, just gay.

The two best teachers I had in high school were gay. They were fantastic. I can't say the same for my high school gym teacher Miss. Wilson. She used to love watching us naked girls run through the shower. Shocked
Quote:
This is unjust to deny any gay person employment. They do have something to offer society, as we all do. Pedophiles belong in the electric chair. Gay people have consensual adult relationships. Big difference!

Gay people contribute much to society. I don't want to send pedophiles to the electric chair (does anybody still go the the electric chair these days). I would like to see them remain in prison where they can't hurt any more children.
Quote:
Religious idiots will wrongly attack a homosexual with no understanding at all of the difference between them and a pedophile, who may not utilize homosexual behavior at all. Many don't. They are adult men who wish to have sex with little girls. There is also a preference for same sex children.

This comment brings this thought to mind. Are catholic priests who molest boys/young teens homosexuals or are they pedophiles or a combination of the two.
Quote:
These are very sick people who will repeat crimes by manipulating children. There is no cure for them, to date. The Catholic church is getting quite famous for this sort of thing. I have to say the church is begging for this sort of individual. They are not interested in women. No wonder it is so easy for them to take that vow of celibacy! Their interest is in children, sexually speaking. Talk about people who really should rot in Hell!!

As long as the catholic church refuses to allow priests to marry, this problem will continue. Taking a vow of celibacy is one thing.....living it is quite another! The catholic church is a magnate for these vile and disgusting men. The church refuses to change it's ways or do anything about the problem and deserves to become extinct, IMHO.
0 Replies