Love you Lola

Fri 15 Feb, 2013 03:03 pm
Very involved discussion elsewhere addressed here by our Lola, bless her, my response a bit OT so deserving its own thread:

Quote:
I have not read every word…

(of http://able2know.org/reply/post-5253989)

Neither have I and so most gracious thanks Lola

Quote:
….But…...This is the way I understand it….The human self exists in the human brain……. powered by chemical reactions.
Yes and electrical interactions

Quote:
We experience this activity as thoughts and feelings about ourselves and others.
About it all, the Whole Schebang, Her

Quote:
It is not physically possible, if a brain is alive, to have no thoughts or feelings.
I wonder though about deep sleep. But yes, it might even be processing then

Quote:
Selflessness is a concept, a feeling, a belief, but…...not possible [in death].
But wouldn't use that term Lola, as it means generosity

Quote:
…..If a person is feeling anything, the self exists. A state of non-self = dead…….
Well put. However you're denying its abstract quality, that it, your Self or Soul, is everything about you except your body and that's how it persists after death. But deny this and you'll have to write a book defending your position, drawing that elusive line in the scale of abstraction
between the concrete and the transcendental

(I should explain about this distinction: According to the general principle that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else, a sidewalk, say, lies near the concrete end [forgive pun] and Her near the other. Note I specify "near" in accordance with the principle cited above

Now most of us call the stuff to the left, real, while the skeptic calls the rest--She being to the far right-- non-existent [again forgive pun]

…also you'll have to contend with an attack by billions of "believers," so you'd better be pretty convincing)

Quote:
I'm not a religious person.
Me neither, well, as apodictical existential pantheist, not much

Quote:
I've never (so far) found a religion I could believe.
Wonder if you've looked into pantheism. It even lets you deny Her existence, depending on your position in the issue of abstraction

Quote:
But I can understand, I think another person's desire to believe.
Welll, that is generosity isn't it

Been a real pleasure Lola
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,298 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

Lola

Fri 15 Feb, 2013 03:56 pm
@dalehileman,
Thank you Dalehileman. Have we met under another name? I thought my response would just sit there and exist surrounded by the profound thought processes of others. But I am grateful you've noticed and want to expand.

Quote:

I don't think generosity exists in a pure form. If I do something for another, I do it because I want to do it. I'm getting something out of it, or I wouldn't do it. What I get may be a good feeling that someone I depend on and/or love is being helped or feels good. That's what I call altruism. Some people feel this takes all the meaning out of generosity. But I've never understood this idea. Explaining how something works does not, for me at least, interfere with the experience of or with it. Like.........being concrete here, explaining how a car engine works does not interfere with the pleasure of driving the car.

Quote:
Well put. However you're denying its abstract quality, that it, your Self or Soul, is everything about you except your body and that's how it persists after death. But deny this and you'll have to write a book defending your position, drawing that elusive line in the scale of abstraction
between the concrete and the transcendental

I don't believe there is anything about me but my body and what it produces. I include my brain and it's activity in my definition of body. What I leave behind, when I die will be my children and others (friends, students, etc) and what I have taught them and the memories. Also the real consequences of my actions while I was alive. Of course, my actions and what I have communicated to others is subject to the interpretations of others in their experience with me.

It will be very nice if I learn differently (that my soul continues on) when I die. But I doubt it. I see no reason for it and no evidence of it either. But this thought or belief of mine doesn't interfere too much with my appreciation of my life experience. Why would it have to last forever to be worthwhile? Why isn't the experience of the moment enough? It is for me. Especially since, it's all I can see that I will get.

And also, if we didn't die, it's hard for me to think of what worthwhile things we would have to do in life. Without conflict, there would be nothing to do, no book to write or read, no story worth telling. Well no story. No life.

So I live that way. I try to make my life as good or pleasurable as I can. That's impossible, of course. Because life is full of things that cause pain. Loss is unavoidable. But there's enough really good stuff that makes it worthwhile for me.
Lola

Fri 15 Feb, 2013 04:11 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
A2k I dearly love you and yours but still folks ask me why I spend so much time at an obscure website arguing with a bunch of complete strangers of anonymous identity situated in far-off places

What answer do you give them?
dalehileman

Fri 15 Feb, 2013 05:25 pm
@Lola,
Quote:
What answer do you give them?
I admit, Lola; obsession, compulsion, addiction
Lola

Fri 15 Feb, 2013 09:37 pm
@dalehileman,
Well, I've met some really good friends (I even married one) on a2k and Abuzz before that. So I do it in order to have some conversation with fun (most of them) people that have become friends over the years. I learn a lot and have a lot of fun by reading the posts of others, looking things up in order to participate, etc. Basically, the people I find on A2K are better informed and more intelligent than the average person I happen to meet locally. So that's why I do it.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:09 pm
@Lola,
Quote:
Thank you Dalehileman. Have we met under another name?
Don't think so unless you were someone else

Quote:
But I am grateful you've noticed and want to expand.
Judging from the response so far we haven't much fattened

Quote:

Quote:
I don't think generosity exists in a pure form.
I was merely being excessively technical inasmuch as I had never heard the word "selfless" making ref to the dualistic philosophical notion

Quote:
…...denying its abstract quality, …….. the concrete and the transcendental

Quote:
I don't believe there is anything about me but my body and what it produces.
That makes you a materialist--that is, in the second of these two senses

http://onelook.com/?loc=rescb&refclue=only%20physical%20objects%20exist&w=materialism

….which is of course perfectly okay but now you're required to draw that elusive line

Quote:
It will be very nice if I learn differently (that my soul continues on) when I die. But I doubt it.
The Soul in the abstract sense as I've described lives on but the idea that it can continue to think and feel in the same sense as now, is of course absurd

Quote:
And also, if we didn't die, it's hard for me to think of what worthwhile things we would have to do in life.
Not for me. I'd still look forward to popcorn Friday night and three exotic imported brews Tuesday--forever

Quote:
Basically, the people I find on A2K are better informed and more intelligent than the average person I happen to meet locally. So that's why I do it.
Yes for the most part they are. There's a hard core however who participate in order to find anything in the typical posting, however innocent, to become indignant about; those who seem terribly angry at all times about nearly everything, expressing their displeasures thru the anonymity of a username or often as a scurrilous tag that doesn't require even that much ID

Eventually you to will become a victim. We must treat one as if he didn't exist
0 Replies