Need an advice in Area of Child Support.

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 05:47 am
Hello Everyone!
I just need an advice or your opinion.
I will describe my situation and if you know anyone or you faced the same or particular the same situation please help me to understand what can I or what should I do.
I was born in Ukraine then moved in 1996 to the States, brought my wife to be to the States in 2000 particulary to New York. We got married and we have the daughter. We had an argument one day, then she called Police. Police came and got me and I spent 1 night in the Police Ptc. They took me to court I saw the judge and I guess I was tired anough that I didn't hear his command regarding of the Order of Protection. So as soon I got released I called my wife and tried to appologize she told me that since I called her a "Bi.." she can't forgive me and ask me to stay away. Few days later the Cops came and got me from the office where I used to work, took me back to the Police Pct. Spent another day and night at the Court House. Then they released me. So I decided to move to New Jersey so I would stay away from my family. One winter night before the Christmas I wanted my daughter to have the gift for the Christmas I sent an SMS where I asked my wife and explained her that I want my daughter to have the gift and I wanted to pass with someone. I didn't get an answer instead I got locked up again for the another night. Finaly the court day came and they offer me 8 months on the Anger Managment Programm or 1 year in Jail, of course I told that I will do the programm but then I realised how it is hard to do so. Because the programm was located in Queens, NY and I lived in Paterson, NJ and worked in White Plains, NY. As well I hated the programm where 10-12 mans come to the room and watched the movies where the "Wife can come at 3:00 AM in the morning" and on the question where you been she just simple can tell u "Go F.. Yourself" and u should turn around and go. So I went on the programm for 3 months then jumped the programm and came back to the Ukraine. I found job and everything my life went fine until the day when my dad got sick and I were supposed to come back to the US. I hoped that 7 months later nobody will look for me but I was wrong. I tried to hide in one of the Shelters in Brooklyn but the Warrant Squad came and got me. So eventually they gave me 1 year in Rickers but since I went to the programm for 3 months they caught my term so I done only 7 long months, where I understood what is the Bullet means. Meanwhile my wife started the Family Court process and I went there as well. She finaly got full custody on our child due to that by an advice and all the time calls from my relatives they convinced me do not go for the hearing, once again I was wrong that I even listened to my family. Eventually she got the fullcustody on the daughter with the suppervised visitations. I tried to come a few times and realized how hard it is when u are spending your time with your child and some lady seatting and recording every your move. So eventually I stopped to come and got an advice from my friends that my daughter will grove up and she will eventually find me on her own. So the last time I visited my daughter in 2005. But that's not my question, the question is I started paying the Child Support I paid for 2 years but in 2008 I lost my job so couldn't pay anything due to that. I didn't had no income what so ever. In 2010 I made decission to buy the ticket and went back to the Ukraine where I live up to the present moment. Now I have another family, wife and my another daughter. When I went to register my daughter as baby born on abroad the Consulate got my passport and told me that I have the hold from the Child Support in NY. So I should call and figer everything out. So I did called to Child Support and talked to the lady. She told me that I own $45000 to the CHild Support and that I will not see my passport until I will pay everything out (outstanding balance). So my question first of all since I live in Ukraine and I can't come to the Family Court is there any way I can resolve that? As well since my income in Ukraine of course much less then used to be in the States, and they still + in outstanding balance even when I don't make an income in the States. So my question is there any way or anything I can do to get my passport back? How should I go with this situation? Please let me know your opinion and of course sorry for my grammar since I don't use an English that much in the Ukraine plus let's count as English my second language. Looking forward on your advice. Kind Regards, Alex
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,410 • Replies: 8
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:29 am
@SanFrance,
My reactions is why the hell would you wish to re-enter the US at any future time.

You are safe from the US courts now and that is the best possible thing for you to be at least in my opinion.

However as far as I am aware there is no way they can stop a US citizen from re-entering the US so they are likely to be willing to grant you a one way travel document if you are crazy enough to wish to return.

Talk to them about the matter but be warn you would then be trapped in the US.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:51 am
@SanFrance,
Get an immigration lawyer, preferably one in a firm that also does family law. You'll need both.
BillRM

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:07 am
@jespah,
They held his passport so I am assuming it is a US passport as one they would have no right to hold another nation passport and two all he would need is to apply for a new one from the nation that had issue it.

As a US citizen this have nothing to do with immigration or immigration lawyers.
jespah

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:19 am
@BillRM,
Nope - reread the OP. He came here from the Ukraine and stayed, and has departed. Nothing in it about citizenship. He's likely to have been a resident alien.
BillRM

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:23 am
@jespah,
He went to register a new child that sound like a citizen to me and there is no point for the US seizing a non US passport.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 10:12 am
Send the $45,000.00, you jerk. You are supposed to be a man and support your child.

Joe(and pay attention in court.)Nation

BillRM

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 12:04 pm
@Joe Nation,
S
Quote:
end the $45,000.00, you jerk. You are supposed to be a man and support your child.

Joe(and pay attention in court.)Nation

That would be fine before the era of no fail divorces and no contact orders given out without the need for any solid justification so a man can find himself without any rights in the raising of those children and the only connection with the children is a support order.

True it is getting a little better and men are slowly being given some rights involving his children but it have one hell of a long way to go to have a level playing field where the children are in fact his children even after a divorce and a man is more then a source of funds for the ex-wife.

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 04:04 pm
@BillRM,
He can ask for receipts.
That's how I headed off any objections from my ex-wife when I was demanding childcare for the two children she abandoned. I told the court that I was willing to provide evidence of every expenditure made in support of the kids. The court was stunned, but agreeable, she had no recourse.
She had to pay the district attorney where she lived every month or face sanctions. The money was then forwarded to me.
Once a month, I forwarded to that same district attorney a ledger.

Anyone can maintain contract with their children and provide for their support without bitching about whether any of the money ends up used by the custodial parent.

Joe(take charge)Nation
0 Replies