Outlook Express

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 11:49 am
I have an odd - at least, I think it's odd - situation with my email. I get email via MSN, but suddenly my email has also been appearing in Outlook Express.

On top of that, when I click "Inbox" in Outlook Express I am told that there are no messages, but when I click on the main Outlook Express, I am told there are x number of unread messages in my Inbox. (This is the same number as in my MSN email.) Rolling Eyes

I only found out about this Outlook Express involvement when trying to send a scanned document via OE email (which didn't work; I must have screwed up somewhere, but that's another story).

Something seems strange here, and I am confused. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 815 • Replies: 8
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 11:55 am
OE
Have you created other identities? Or clicked anything to created those account in OE? look in the bar on the left and see how many file directory structures you have going? you may have multiple inboxes running.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 12:09 pm
Hey there Husker and Tomkitten.

Tom,

If I remember correctly MSN uses hotmail-style OE inboxes. The folder structure can't be changed.

I too am confused by your confusion so let me posit what I think is going on:

1) When you installed MSN software they configured OE. Either that ot MSN software configured it at dome point later on.

2) You just noticed it, but are confused because MSN/Hotmail inboxes have a separate folder structure that you can't change.

Here is a screenshot of one of my OE installs: note the hotmail folders with the butterfly:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAAAKEV0har7s3yX*wGJGV7b6hk*H27QsM2!eVUaurJjHWPrj!LRot1A2tz1s9CorL2oRATVKjtt2Yg7aKl4cmCRRoM3tYWtY*C4QNG1pU/test.bmp?dc=4675464210467704583

Do you have that? Under all your regular OE folders you should have MSN folders with a butterfly (under which there should be an inbox etc).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 01:29 pm
Thanks CDK - cannot look right now no OE in the office allowed - working from a fuzzy memory LOL
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:54 pm
Outlook Express
Well, there are 2 groups, on the left side of the screen; the 1st says Outlook Express & the 2d says HTTP://oe.msn.msnmail.hotmail. The whole screen is titled Outlook Express, and the information about number of messages, etc, seems very much OE-related in layout and phrasing. I can get nothing by clicking the OE mail links, but get the messages by clicking on the oe.msn etc links.

The messages themselves are not listed in short form as on the msn screen, but one message complete - eg a complete issue of Dan Gookin's Wambooli newsletter. The only way to find out what's there is to delete or save the item, then another appears. Deleting an item from the msn email screen deletes it from the OE screen, but not vice versa. This is in effect opening messages before deleting them, and I don't like it.

There are no other identities.

There are no butterflies.

My email addresses are listed exactly as they are on msnmail.hotmail.

All of this is something quite new.

My Saved email folders are identical to the msn ones. It's as if the msn info has been bodily copied to OE, and one thing that worries me is that here are all these opened (not by me) emails. Although EZ Armor does a nice job of blocking spam, etc, I worry about what may possibly get by EZ. I don't like the idea that stuff is opened without my decision to do so. Am I paranoid?

For the usual record - hp Pavilion 9800, Windows XP Home, IE 6.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 03:03 pm
Tom,

MSN/Hotmail has a weird way of leaving all messages on the server. I bet it was you opening them etc, but just not while using OE. And since the message data still resides on their mail servers OE displays them as read etc based on what you did wherever you normally read your mail.

I think the issue you have can be summarized as:

You are surprised that your email account data (including emails and read status) is also displayed in OE.

You can:

1) Ignore it as it shouldn't hurt.

2) Remove the account from OE.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:26 pm
Outlook Express
Gee, Craven, I truly didn't open any of these emails. Cross my heart. Even OE described them as Unread Messages. And I do worry that something nasty could come from having email pre-opened, so to speak. even though it is screened. Screening ain't all-perfect, yet.

The only time I use OE is when I reply to something like the EZArmor tech support communications and OE pops up to handle it.

So how can I remove the account from OE if I decide to do so?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:28 pm
You didn't open those emails from the other place where you check them?

To remove:

Tools > Accounts

click on the account then the "remove" button.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 08:41 am
Outlook Express
Thanks, Craven.

I followed your instructions, and everything seems empty and clear. Now I don't have to worry (even if I really didn't have to worry).

Now the next problem is one you can't help me with: How to remember about all the useful things you can achieve with Tools menus . . . Embarrassed
0 Replies