RULES OF THE SEMICOLON, please

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I could do a mean Tantum Ergo during Benediction...and my O Salutaris Hostia was world renowned.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Love you, Frank, except when I am nattering at you, and then it's mild fondness.

So, did you do novenas?

My mother, love in memory, was for good reason very engaged with novenas, and, then, so was I.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5243523)
Love you, Frank, except when I am nattering at you, and then it's mild fondness.

So, did you do novenas?

My mother, love in memory, was for good reason very engaged with novenas, and, then, so was I.

Love you, too...and I never truly get upset when we bump heads.

Never have done a novena...but (and you may have heard me mention this before) I did serve Mass in St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican. One of the side altars, of course, not the main one. And I served as an acolyte in a High Mass celebrated by the Catholic Primate of England, Cardinal (name escapes me at the moment). Also had a general audience with Pius XII at Castle Gandalfo, the summer residence.

I was in the Air Force...and I was a good Catholic guy then...before agnosticism took root.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 08:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Eugenio Pacelli, well I remember.
spendius

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 05:15 am
@Lola,
Quote:
I wish I cared. But I can't seem to get very interested in football. However, I am watching the game. Maybe I'll start caring.

Did my telling you about my bet get you to care a little bit Lolaessence? You know--wanting me to lose sort of thing. Up the Ravens.

We was robbed. 4 downs and goal and a holding not flagged. Sheesh!!!

Is this a no smoking thread? It's only non-smokers who enthusiastically embrace the vulgarities of eating habits with no irony.

Quote:
Digestion is the mechanical and chemical breakdown of food into smaller components that are more easily absorbed into a blood stream, for instance. Digestion is a form of catabolism: a breakdown of large food molecules to smaller ones.

When food enters the mouth, its digestion starts by the action of mastication, a form of mechanical digestion, and the contact of saliva. Saliva, which is secreted by the salivary glands, contains salivary amylase, an enzyme which starts the digestion of starch in the food. After undergoing mastication and starch digestion, the food will be in the form of a small, round slurry mass called a bolus. It will then travel down the esophagus and into the stomach by the action of peristalsis. Gastric juice in the stomach starts protein digestion. Gastric juice mainly contains hydrochloric acid and pepsin. As these two chemicals may damage the stomach wall, mucus is secreted by the stomach, providing a slimy layer that acts as a shield against the damaging effects of the chemicals. At the same time protein digestion is occurring, mechanical mixing occurs by peristalsis, which are waves of muscular contractions that move along the stomach wall. This allows the mass of food to further mix with the digestive enzymes. After some time (typically an hour or two in humans, 4–6 hours in dogs, somewhat shorter duration in house cats), the resulting thick liquid is called chyme. When the pyloric sphincter valve opens, chyme enters the duodenum where it mixes with digestive enzymes from the pancreas, and then passes through the small intestine, in which digestion continues. When the chyme is fully digested, it is absorbed into the blood. 95% of absorption of nutrients occurs in the small intestine. Water and minerals are reabsorbed back into the blood in the colon (large intestine) where the pH is slightly acidic about 5.6 ~ 6.9. Some vitamins, such as biotin and vitamin K (K2MK7) produced by bacteria in the colon are also absorbed into the blood in the colon. Waste material is eliminated from the rectum during defecation.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 06:43 am
@ossobuco,
Turns out that my maternal grandmother and he were school day friends (or at least, school day acquiescences). I never found out about that until after my grandmother's death...and my mother never mentioned it. So I never actually spoke with her about it. My aunts told me about it...actually just a few years ago.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 09:55 am
You catholics are such odd people. I've had that notion since the first time I peaked in the window of a little catholic church on the way home from a Little League game and saw a life-sized statue of a rather tarty looking girl right smack in the middle of everything. It was just so... inappropriate.
Lola

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:09 am
@spendius,
Hi Spendi, You telling me about your bet did make me watch. I was supporting the 49ers since you and Osso were. I have no other reason to care one way or the other. And it seems you were robbed. I agree. No flag was weird. Or it looked that way to me.......not knowing a thing about flags and football. But my support didn't help in the end. Oh well. Half time was good.
spendius

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:28 am
@Lola,
I'm sorry to say it but I found the half-time show embarrassing.

There's is something very odd in drawing attention to the crutch and then covering it over with a rag. It's as if Beyonce wanted to draw attention to her crutch and doesn't at the same time.

As Dylan said--"Bikinis infuriate me". It's the same with breasts. Half out and half in like there's something to be ashamed of.

Bloody misogynists.

Atheists are ridiculous on these important matters.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:44 am
@blatham,
Quote:
You catholics are such odd people. I've had that notion since the first time I peaked in the window of a little catholic church on the way home from a Little League game and saw a life-sized statue of a rather tarty looking girl right smack in the middle of everything. It was just so... inappropriate.

It makes a lot more sense than atheism, Blatham. Not that is saying much for it.
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
The brilliance of Catholocism is that it has initially "given up" on remaining chaste and without sin. Catholocism therefore, specnds all its time and effort in levels of penance.

Thats why cities like Nawlins and Baltimore are great party towns and Salt Lake City is as happy as a warehouse full of typewriters, NAwlins and Baltimore were CATHOLIC towns<(So was Santa Fe but there was sumthin else goin on there)

Look at Canada

Montreal and Quebec City--PARTEE

Calgary-Not SO MUCH

Toronto- BOOORING (uness its culture that floats your boat)
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:33 am
@farmerman,
Great post, FM...and a good deal of wisdom in your thoughts on this issue.

In any case, like Nawlins and Baltimore...I am no long a Catholic. I was just responding to what Bernie said. It is so great to have him back...I could not resist. Wink

As for my "level of penance"...well, some (like maybe Michael Corleone) might be by with a couple of Hail Mary's and an Our Father or three...my guess is if there is a Catholic-like god...I am in a shitload of trouble.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 03:12 pm
@farmerman,
Best analysis I've perhaps ever seen of the major Canadian cities. Vancouver, like San Francisco/LA, is something different (a la The Big Lebowski).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 03:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
It makes a lot more sense than atheism, Blatham. Not that is saying much for it.

Catholics turned orthodox agnostic... there's no talking to them.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 03:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
<rolls eyes at both of you, but took Bernie as kidding>
spendius

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Bernie is never kidding osso.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 03:52 am
I propose that a chuck of granite is unaware of itself.

This may seem obvious to the casual observer, but perhaps it's the case that this observer is too casual by half.
roger

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 04:03 am
@blatham,
A chunk of granite is also unaware of everything else.

I guess.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 07:13 am
@roger,
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 5244811)
A chunk of granite is also unaware of everything else.

I guess.

I guess the same thing.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 07:15 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5244108)
Quote:

Catholics turned orthodox agnostic... there's no talking to them.

I do not know for sure what you consider an "orthodox agnostic" Bernie, but if you think I am one...

...not only can you talk to one, but you often do.

Hell, I've called you from 3000 miles away just so we could talk.