RULES OF THE SEMICOLON, please

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 10:12 am
@blatham,
Saryacha sauce has taken over and buried Tabasco.
Its Tabasco with deeper flavor
blatham

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 10:32 am
@farmerman,
I'm a mouth coward, farmerman. If I've actually had tabasco on my tongue, it would have been without me knowing it. Haven't even heard of the other. I once attended a wonderful Oliver Sachs lecture out at UBC and he confided that he has the same breakfast every morning. He said, "I always know it will be good". A rationale I understand quite completely.
spendius

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 10:47 am
@farmerman,
I think I would have used a colon in that instead of a stop fm.

Saryacha sauce has taken over and buried Tabasco: its Tabasco with deeper flavor.

I will admit though that my preference is possibly due to my familiarity with the likes of Proust rather than with Journalese. Every man to his own is my motto.

How would Saryacha be deeper than Tabasco if it has buried Tabasco?

When employing metaphor one needs to be careful. Deeper flavours are below.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 10:56 am
@blatham,
I have been having the same breakfast every morning for a very long time. Apple juice, Porridge with a pinch of salt and streaked with runny syrup, a banana, a cup of tea; PG Tips usually, and two or three roll-ups.

Lots of people do the same.

Unless "confided" is meant to suggest darker meanings. I don't feel I'm taking you all into my confidence by describing my method of chomping through the nutrient bed.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 03:10 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I'm a mouth coward, farmerman. If I've actually had tabasco on my tongue, it would have been without me knowing it. Haven't even heard of the other. ...

That might be because it's spelled "Sriracha".

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/9769/091006sriracha.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 03:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
I've tasted it, quite peppy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 03:45 pm
@Ticomaya,
Thanks. But actually it wouldn't matter at all how the stuff is spelled, it and I aren't likely to get acquainted. I don't even like mustard. Ketchup is adventure enough.
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:07 pm
@blatham,
you like garlic?
The "Rooster Sauce" has a nice garlic tatse and a sweet finish (that is after it detonates on your tongue)
spendius

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:48 pm
@farmerman,
Shouldn't you be using your subject; fascinating as it is, to demonstrate the proper use of the semicolon?

As it is you are just wittering.

I've bet £100 to win £80; with fingers crossed, on the 49ers.
blatham

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
Garlic I do like. Though more so when I eat it than when others do.
Lola

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:14 pm
@blatham,
Bernie is a very picky eater. I can count the foods on two hands that he really likes. Numbers 1 - 5 are bread.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:17 pm
@Lola,
Ah, just like Roger.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Roger and I are pals, very different. I don't mean to denigrate him: he could make a lot of fun about me and money, but kindly doesn't.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:24 pm
@farmerman,
Any roast duck around? I do the carving.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:25 pm
SuperBowl just getting ready to go.

Alicia Keys doing Star Spangled Banner.

I will vote for any politician who makes the singing of the National Anthem a federal offense.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So can you sing?

I can't, and as a kid I used to sing funeral masses. Dies irae..

I apologize long later for being obedient and showing up as the only person in the choir.
Lola

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:31 pm
@spendius,
I wish I cared. But I can't seem to get very interested in football. However, I am watching the game. Maybe I'll start caring.
roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:41 pm
@farmerman,
At least for awhile, Tabasco was making a sauce with habenero peppers. It had a much deeper flavor, and slightly more heat. Returning to the semicolon topic, it was known to induce a certain activity in the entire colon.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:42 pm
@Lola,
I'm good with most breads, as long as they don't pollute it with a bunch of stuff just for the sake of being 'unique'.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 06:01 pm
The wind up, what some call the "build up", others the "introductory remarks, was wonderful. I have never seen so many people being quite so wonderful in such a wonderful variety of modes of wonderfulness; leaving out the illegal formation on the first play, in my entire life.

It must be a terrible thing to be ordinary in the USA.
0 Replies