Does anyone make their own pasta?

boomerang

Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Our stores sell Bob's Red Mill semolina flour in small bags and it's really expensive.

He's getting pretty good with doughs. Maybe he'll want to try making semolina gnocchi!
ossobuco

Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:33 pm
@boomerang,
Yeh, that's what I buy, and my food budget is, ah, wee. Do you have any italian markets up there? I suppose Whole Paycheck carries larger amounts, but they are way-cross-town for me, and if they did they'd probably cost a zillion.

In LA I frequented an international market that leaned heavily italian (Bay Cities, home of the very best meatball sandwiches), and an italo market that was all italian (Sorrento, how I miss them), and in the Eureka area, a small ital market that was a side shop of a restaurant - but they all carried 5 lb bags of "necessities" and super duper olives. Very little italian stuff in markets here in Abq - and that makes sense as the italian population doesn't add up to dollars, I guess.

boomerang

Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:47 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know if there is an Italian market here. Bob's Red Mill is right down the road though (the actual mill) so I could probably drive over there and get it for much cheaper than I can at the store by buying in bulk.

Mr. B has started calling my grocery buying "truffle hunting" since I already have to go to so many specialty stores. Everybody likes the bread from one store and the fruit from a different store and the milk at the other store and the meat from yet a different store. It gets pretty insane. I suppose I could just say we're trying to support our local business' and feel better about it.
ossobuco

Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:54 pm
@boomerang,
I understand..
ossobuco

Wed 13 Feb, 2013 09:52 am
@ossobuco,
I looked up semolina online and see that King Arthur makes it for $8.50/3 pounds.
boomerang

Wed 13 Feb, 2013 10:54 am
@ossobuco,
That's about the same as Bob's Red Mill's price. I paid about $4.50 for 1.5 pounds.
ossobuco

Wed 13 Feb, 2013 11:11 am
@boomerang,
This is pretty good -
http://www.naturalgrocers.com/shop/catalog/semolina-flour-2-lbs
That's 4.96.

a look at google re semolina brings up that walmart has four of the 1.5 lb packages for 15.96.. but "my" walmart doesn't carry any.
I'm thinking you're lucky to live near the Red Mill place.

I'm presently pestering my local Brooks market to carry the Red Mill - they carry Red Mill everything else under the sun.
0 Replies

juliapeter47

Mon 6 May, 2013 07:30 am
Hello,
This is my recipe.
Make an effectively inside flour. Bust this ova into the effectively.
After they’re damaged in…Start combining this lightly together with 1 hand…
Until finally ground in addition to ova many merged. Switch it out on to a new floured surface…
And initiate kneading this, rolling in addition to pounding in addition to pressing, until it’s carried out.
See the consistency from the area at this point? Does one observe how it’s “tacky” rather than quite even? This means it’s certainly not prepared nevertheless. You need to work this, little one, work this. Purchased it, till the gluten has gone nuts along with the bread is even. There’s not any right or perhaps wrong method to rub. Simply press this, move this, in addition to tickle this.
Be sure that you remove it to supper primary.
It’s all ready while this seems like this kind of!
Stick it inside a plastic-type material case in the event that you’re planning to work with it afterwards, or simply allow it to needlessly rest regarding a while within the kitchen counter in the event that you’re getting ready to ensure it is today.
Any time you’re prepared, move this on a new floured area while thinly while it’ll go. The noodles will certainly plump upward a great deal when they dissect inside water, so the slimmer you possibly can move this, the greater. Slice these noodles really thin. You should utilize a new sharpened knife (if you possibly can hold this inside a directly line), a new pizzas steering wheel, or perhaps a long pizza/bread cutter machine similar to this 1.
0 Replies

JonathanV

Thu 13 Jun, 2013 11:27 am
There's an Italian fellow named Emilio Miti down the street from our ad agency in San Francisco who is so passionate about making pasta that we made a 2 minute video of him. He imports Italian pasta making machines and other food processing hardware which I think he supplies to restaurants. The video is one of a few interesting small businesses which are local "brands" in the Mission District of SF. It's on Youtube and our site (link is photo of Emilio in a blue shirt and small hat)
http://www.oneworldsf.com/work/?page_id=209
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v00tFTCl904

Jonathan Villet

boomerang

Thu 13 Jun, 2013 11:30 am
@JonathanV,
That was lovely.

HE is lovely.

Thanks!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 13 Jun, 2013 12:13 pm
@JonathanV,
A friend used to live in the mission district and I stayed there about a week once. Liked the area, but since then, probably the late nineties, the area has gotten more sought out (I take it). I live in New Mexico but still follow the Chronicle food section, thus often drooling about some of the food there in the mission.

This fellow, Emilio Miti - with all his machines and his fondness for them and his wonderful voice - is terrific.
0 Replies

stevem13

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 12:02 am
@juliapeter47

Sounds nice.
But I am eager to know, what does it taste like?
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 05:35 am
@boomerang,
we do the same. I like the term "truffle hunting". We have a cheese shop that has its own Amish Ohio Swiss cheese and imported Asiago and Monchego

We go to a bred guy for his loves of crusty tble breads and a really gret raisn cinnamon bread

Veggies MUST be bought at the Amish market

The butcher is way over near Kennet Square where they have the most beautifully thin Proziutto, Sopressetta and thick pork chops.

We get Asian pears at AB nurseries near STrasburg (its an Amish specialty fruit orchard with several varietals of pear)

etc etc

Sometimes our shopping day takes ALL DAY, but its fun.
0 Replies

stevem13

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 12:25 am
@boomerang,
I usually do not make my own pasta regularly, but I love having freshly made pasta at restaurants.
0 Replies