Need help about a houseplant

Mame

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:24 pm
Okay, I have a jade plant, but I don't think that matters as this has happened to me once in a while over the years on various plants.

The situation is that my soil has some white stuff on the top. It looks like mould or I don't know what. It doesn't seem to be affecting the plant, but I'm worried that it might. I think in the past (years ago, which is why I'm unsure) the plants died or suffered badly.

Does anyone know what this is, why it's happening only to this one houseplant, and what I should do about it?

Many thanks.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:29 pm
@Mame,
Jade plants (I miss them, dammit), but I had them in my yard, where they took close to no care...
sounds like way too much water to me, thus mould. I'd repot with new soil and mend your watery ways.

Back with a link or two.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:30 pm
@ossobuco,
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/crassovat.htm

good info on there..
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:31 pm
could be soluble salts OR mold.

re-pot with fresh houseplant soil.
Mame

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:38 pm
What IS it, though, and why re-pot?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:39 pm
@PUNKEY,
I don't think they need rich soil, in memory, and likely the opposite, though I'm not sure on that.
I'd look up the crassula species and crassula ovata in particular to verify..
Jade plant is the common name.
There are house plants, and house plants.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:40 pm
@Mame,
It's mould/mold and you need to get rid of it by fully changing the soil and perhaps even the pot, and quit overwatering that particular plant as a practice. Read that link, bossy insists.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:44 pm
If it's fluffy, then it's mold.

If it's crystallized, then it's salt.

Since jade plants don't need much watering, the soil dries out during the in between times especially in the winter. Salt in the soil is drawn up to the top of the surface.
Mame

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 02:03 pm
@PUNKEY,
Okay, it's fluffy. And I have barely watered it this winter but obviously overdid it. I have cactus soil, so I'll use that. Thank you guys!!!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 02:18 pm
@Mame,
That link says loam - what's the soil in your yard? I'm thinking maybe mix the cactus soil with a tad of yard soil, but your yard soil may be clay..

Back when I had a lot of succulents in my yard, my natural soil was sandy loam.

I'm odd in that I know a lot about some stuff and am dummy on others - and one of those relative others is house plants, as where I used to live and design, all you had to do was walk out the door and plants were all over you.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 02:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's the Davesgarden link, a good one to have in any case -

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2224/#b
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 02:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Aha - this may be involved - quote from Davesgarden:
Fungal problems are the most common diseases encountered and nearly always due to inappropriate watering schemes or too little light.
Light could be in the mix..
and that makes sense if you know you didn't water the hell out of it.
Mame

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 02:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, it's sitting in a north window, but it was sitting in a south one. I've got houseplant soil so I'll mix it with the cactus stuff - what a bummer. Thanks for your invaluable help, Oss.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 03:09 pm
@Mame,
Clean pot may matter.. (bleach, rinse)

I actually like house plants, but I lived through ivy covered living rooms in the early seventies and dosed out.

Now that I live in the land of freezing often to very hot, I understand more about loved plants in the home.
Indeed, I have a particularly weird succulent whose name I kept but lost with a computer crash, that is simply impossible for me to kill with disrespect.
Trouble is, it needs to hang from something and it is always working it's way down to the floor. It's presently on the top of the refrigerator.

And that does just live in sand (my soil here), and a glass of water when I remember.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 03:30 pm
@Mame,
On my second jade plant. First succumbed to repeated falls off window sill, falls faciltated by fussy feline who considered the sill her domain. Current cat ignores plants, so nothing is being knocked over or nibbled to extinction. My jade is in a west facing window, good light all day and sun for several hours. I water it only when soil has completely dried out. With steam heat that's about once a week. Need to repot soon, will use cactus soil. One suggestion re watering, let the water stand for several hours, don't use straight from the tap.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 03:43 pm
Houseplants is one thing I've never had to worry about because I've always had a cat around.

I learned a long time ago never to get one Confused
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 03:54 pm
@jcboy,
Well, Florida is like California, you can just walk out the door..
0 Replies

OscarKane

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 11:47 pm
It's actually not that difficult to keep houseplants happy, but you do need to pay attention to their basic needs, and take care of any pest problems right away. Here are some suggestions to help you have a green thumb indoors as well as out!
Know Your Plants
Provide Consistent Water
0 Replies