Survey finds hope in occupied Iraq

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:43 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
A1) I firmly believe 90% of every population frowns upon unnecessary violence,

For sure - I share your belief. The trouble comes in where people differ over what is "unnecessary" violence.

Apparently, some one in six Iraqis believed, already before the great violence of the past month, that violence against the occupation/coalition troops is necessary. Apparently, they see those troops as something that stands in the way of their freedom.

Now you and I may not agree with that - and we don't. But we have to be aware that thats how they see it. Being in denial over it and saying, "I just cant and wont believe they could feel that way" isnt going to help our insight or policies.

They dont feel that way because they're all, like, yeh let's live in a totalitarian society and commit unnecessary violence - but because they think the violence is necessary, to achieve what they don't see as a "totalitarian regime" but as the political expression of God's will, for example (when we are talking of those who favour an Islamist state).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:53 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
3) The propaganda machines are working overtime trying to make the United State's actions appear worse than they are. The human beings who reside in Iraq will no doubt see a change from totalitarian rule to democracy as good thing in retrospect. The closer it comes to reality, the more support it will receive. Again, regardless of the motives, Iraqi's will inevitably be better off for our efforts.

One thing that bothers me about the way you put things is how your absolute conviction in the Cause almost seems to make you feel that you know better what reality there really is like than those who actually live there.

The above is a poll undertaken by a bunch of Western broadcasters - ABC, the BBC, a German and a Japanese broadcaster, plus the University of Oxford. It is not the expression of an anti-American "propaganda machine", as is also witnessed by the results that do reflect favourably on the changes. I can think of no reason why you, relying on what the US media report, would know better what Iraqis really feel than what they themselves have expressed in a poll like that.

Reason why it bothers me is probably personal. There's this line in your reasoning thats like - "and if they really don't see yet that they've been liberated and that its all going to be good for them, then they will see it later, when we've finished!". This reminds me a great deal of those other idealists - the communist ones. Many of them had the best intentions when they started to impose their revolutionary changes on the hapless peasants of Russia (etc). "We're bringing you freedom! Equality!", they cried out when the peasants protested at all that sudden change. And when those protests became violent, they beat them down. "Its just the counterrevoluationary holdovers from the ancien regime!", the communists asserted, and imprisoned the nobles. And then, the priests. And the "kulaks". And all this time the communists told themselves: once we get there, once we've created communism for them, they will see what we've done for them, and they will be grateful!

Of course, when you look back now, you can't avoid wishing they had listened a bit more to what those peasants were feeling right then, and a little less to that fiery inner conviction about what HUMAN BEINGS must be like - and how history would prove them right!

Now, before I go all the way to the other side - like you, I have a firm conviction that anyone would "see a change from totalitarian rule to democracy as good thing". (I also think Sadr's radicals probably have no more right to speak on behalf of "the Iraqis" than the CPA does.)

But the trouble with these things is that changes never come alone. If the change to democracy goes hand-in-hand with spiralling inflation, mass unemployment and economical crisis, as it did for varying lengths of time in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, you might well get a bunch of people feeling that "it was better the old way". Either because they think the benefits of democracy dont outweigh the downsides of the changeover, or because - never having lived in a democracy before - this one experience has made them believe that democracy=losing all livelihood security, and they thus declare themselves against it, period.

Same in Iraq. Yes, I have the same belief as you that, given the pure choice between "democracy" and "a totalitarian regime", anyone would choose the former. But the invasion of Iraq didn't just bring democracy. It also brought distrusted occupation troops, death and destruction during the war, and escalating violence now. It brought violence between Iraqi groups and the popular suspicion (even if unfounded) of Kurdish separatism. Et cetera. That is why its well possible that many Iraqis, though glad Saddam has gone, dont see the black and white transition from Evil to Good you see, when they look at what occupation/liberation looks like.

Which brings us to the next point: that this is not a clear journey from A to B, with "backwards" or forwards" as the only options.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
4) Those who are losing their unearned "position" will of course fight to keep their status. As the futility of their fight becomes clearer; they will be forced to accept the options as accept or perish. This is inevitable.

You're no longer just fighting Baathist holdovers in the Sunnite triangle. You're fighting Shi'ites now, too, people who had no "position" in the old regime at all. I'm not saying they're necessarily right or anything - I'm just observing that the "we're only fighting remnants of the old regime" presentation reflects the situation on the ground ever less.

What you're now gradually getting into is much more volatile territory - violence thats not about moving forward vs moving backward (to Saddams time), but violence that's provoked by clashing views of where you're moving forward to.

Sadr and Sistani disagree forcefully on that Q; and the Americans disagree forcefully with both. And Iraqis, apparently, even when glad they no longer suffer under Baathist totalitarianism, are divided about what combination of different options is best now - full Western democracy, Islamic law or a strong leader - or democracy-but-with-a-strong-leader, democracy-but-with-a-prominent-role-for-the-religious-leaders, et cetera? 'Ccording to the poll, an impressive plurality (tho not majority) wants a fully-fledged democracy. But they also think a strong leader is necessary in the short term, plus they trust their religious leaders overwhelmingly more than the political parties, Governing Council, etc.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I totally believe that the ongoing power struggle, with the world's most powerful referee in the middle, is the best possible scenario to exact the minimum loss of life during this difficult transition.

You shouldn't have any illusions about being "the referee". You're very much a party in the fight, and acting like one.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Give a human being an honest shot at a decent lot in life and he will not strap bombs to his chest.

Absolutely. But again what you're banking on is that what the Iraqis see when they look at Bremer and the CPA, is a coupla good guys trying to give them "an honest shot at a decent lot in life" - instead of, say, the invaders and occupiers of their country.

The perceptions on that among Iraqis, judging on a poll like this, are at least mixed enough to evoke concern. Concern that should be addressed with more than mere expressions of personal belief in the Rightness of the Overall Cause. Just stubbornly plowing on is not always the best way to deal with obstacles you come across.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
If (when) the area is cleaned up and the evil 5% are rendered impotent; the other 95% will be dancing in the streets. Forgive them if they don't start cooperating on day one of the crackdowns.

The parallel with the gangsters and dealers in your neighbourhood depends on the Iraqis viewing the insurgents as their equivalent. For now, the parallel might just still hold up - I do think Sadr doesnt exactly speak for the silent majority (or didnt, anyway). But when it comes to popular perceptions, terrorists can all too easily turn into freedomfighters. Its a tricky dilemma. You want to stamp out radicalinski insurgents before they mess up the place totally - but if you, yourself a largely distrusted foreign occupation force, clamp down on them with uncurbed violence, you risk triggering a "but its our son of a bitch" response.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Perhaps Setanta or one of the other historians can site an example of a ruling class willingly, peacefully succumbing to the will of the masses, but I can think of none.

The dissolution of Franco's regime in Spain, the collapse of the communist regimes of Central Europe and the "retirement" of Pinochet spring to mind.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I think most everyone recognizes the need to see this through. Regardless of whether we should have started; we do need to finish. [..] I believe there is a greater profit in finishing this job in altruistic fashion (regardless of original intentions) than proving the doubters correct.

I think so too, actually - I simply suspect we disagree a great deal on what "see this through" means and how it needs to be done.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:40 pm
Scrat wrote:
doglover wrote:
Survey finds hope in occupied Iraq
An opinion poll suggests most Iraqis feel their lives have improved since the war in Iraq began about a year ago.

It's a shame that thousands upon thousands of Iraqi's weren't able to participate in the survey because they are dead or severely wounded. Crying or Very sad

I bet the Iraqi orphans and widows don't feel their lives have been 'improved' either.

Nah, I don't put much stock in that poll. I think, if anything, it's terribly inaccurate.

Not to mention the far larger numbers who were unable to respond because Saddam and his ilk slaughtered them. Your moral high ground is muddied by things like context, cause and effect, comparing the cost of action with the cost of inaction... stuff you probably don't care to consider, but which must be considered. When they are, your comments are rendered hollow nonsense.

My comments are rendered hollow nonsense only in YOUR mind Scrat. Your point of view lacks consistency. If we are going to rid the world of evil dictators, why is Bush starting and stopping with Saddam? Bush's lack of concern and INACTION by not taking out ALL the worlds evil dictators is hollow. How can you defend Bush's inaction in this matter? Why does Bush allow Castro to control Cuba with an iron fist? Were you one of the republicans who screamed and cried when Clinton went after Milkovich? Were you outraged when American soldiers were drug through the streets of Mogadishu and Somolia? If you were, then you will understand perfectly my outrage about the war in Iraq.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:49 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
You forgot to say something Scrat; Checkmate!

Here ya go guys... Checkmate! Happy detecting fellas!

Do you suffer from the nightmare of suspicion and doubt caused by the infidelity of a cheating spouse?

Find out "what's really going on" the quick and easy way with the CheckMate semen detection test kit.

The original CheckMate semen detection test kit will quickly and easily monitor your spouse's sexual activity outside of the relationship by detecting traces of semen left in their undergarments after sex.
The CheckMate semen detection test kit is the only product of its kind in the world today. This revolutionary patent pending test kit is designed exclusively for semen detection testing in a marital environment and can quickly and easily give you the answers you need to deal with an impossible situation.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:42 pm
Nimh: We have a huge misunderstanding present through most of your response. I wasn't accusing the poll as being part of the propaganda machine. I was suggesting that the responses in it reflect it. Like the newspaper we shut down. Like Sadr spreading his hate. There are a great deal of people there who have never known anything about America that didn't come from Saddam. It will take some time for Iraqi's to hear enough un-biased... well, at least the other side of the story.

As for your comparison to the Soviets: Yes, guilty as charged. The difference is capitalism is proven to promote economic success, which in turn breeds inner peace to a nation. Whatever percentage wishes to have a religious rule; are still wishing to inflict their will over the freedom of the public at large. If they choose to become extremists to try and force their way, then yes, I think we need to treat them as the enemies of freedom that they are... And act accordingly.

Quote:
They dont feel that way because they're all, like, yeh let's live in a totalitarian society and commit unnecessary violence - but because they think the violence is necessary, to achieve what they don't see as a "totalitarian regime" but as the political expression of God's will, for example (when we are talking of those who favour an Islamist state).
This is what I'm talking about. I do not recognize any man's right to force his will over another in this respect. I recognize every man's responsibility not to. Do you see what I mean? "We've been stoning our women to death for… for thousands of years" doesn't do anything for me. Wrong is wrong, and I care very little how many people die trying to defend THAT mentality. They do not now, nor have they ever, have any right to force their will over another's in that fashion. You may try to compare my avocation of interference as the same thing… but not if you've been listening. In short, if a religion advocates crimes against humanity, I don't recognize the religion as anything but a criminal organization.

I understand we risk the "but its our son of a bitch" response. I can only hope we're doing enough to show them why they shouldn't. I am fully prepared to eat crow if my government disappoints me, and doesn't see this through. Again, my reasons for advocating this action may not coincide with my governments. I can only hope their actions will meet my desires. I think you've read enough of my posts to understand why I think the despots all need to be deposed. Any action towards that end is in my opinion a noble cause.

Doglover: I apologize if my comment offended you. I hope Bush isn't stopping at Saddam. As stated above, I want all the "evil" dictator deposed… as for my outrage at the actions you stated, yes I was, but not that the soldiers were there. I'm outraged when the criminals aren't brought to justice and the powers that condone such activity aren't toppled. I view humans as humans and believe all should be entitled to basic sustenance, freedom and dignity. Not just Americans.
(love the Checkmate joke Laughing )
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:44 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:

I understand we risk the "but its our son of a bitch" response. I can only hope we're doing enough to show them why they shouldn't. I am fully prepared to eat crow if my government disappoints me, and doesn't see this through. Again, my reasons for advocating this action may not coincide with my governments. I can only hope their actions will meet my desires. I think you've read enough of my posts to understand why I think the despots all need to be deposed. Any action towards that end is in my opinion a noble cause.

Doglover: I apologize if my comment offended you. I hope Bush isn't stopping at Saddam. As stated above, I want all the "evil" dictator deposed… as for my outrage at the actions you stated, yes I was, but not that the soldiers were there. I'm outraged when the criminals aren't brought to justice and the powers that condone such activity aren't toppled. I view humans as humans and believe all should be entitled to basic sustenance, freedom and dignity. Not just Americans.
(love the Checkmate joke Laughing )

I don't think Bush is is being a 'son of a bitch'. I think his conviction/self serving motive has turned into stubborn and dangerous defiance.

No need to apologize Bill.

Like you, I want the criminals brought to justice. Specifically, Osama bin Laden. I am angry because we are wasting precious lives, time and resources in Iraq while the REAL criminal(s) in Afghanastan have not been captured or killed.

I agree that it would be a wonderful, better world if ALL people could live productive lives in freedom and with dignity. Unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world. For whatever reason, God allows evil oppression to exist. I value the lives of my fellow Americans, as well as the lives of the innocent Iraqi's that have been killed during this unnecessary war.

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree Bill. But, hey, that's to be celebrated. We are lucky to live in a country where we are free to openly disagree but still be united by the love we share for our country.

I'm glad you liked the Checkmate joke!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 09:57 pm
Quote:
Iraqi's are human beings... and human beings have a right to freedom.

Quote:
Freedom from who? Freedom for who? At what cost?

In order: Freedom from Despots, Freedom for HUMAN BEINGS, and I don't much care what my share of the cost is.

Quote:
I care about the humans (Iraqi's, and Bush's actions help them in MY opinion. I believe this might be the first time I've ever directly defended Bush. If you've read many of my posts, you'll notice I've suggested our strength comes with the responsibility to help many times (just like Bush did tonight).

Quote:
Give a human being an honest shot at a decent lot in life and he will not strap bombs to his chest. The flip side of that coin is; allow him to be hideously repressed and he will consider anything that he's convince will help his family. Poor hungry people will always rebel.
I have no illusions about the tough times ahead. I also have no doubt that HUMAN BEINGS will benefit from the effort.

Quote:
In short, if a religion advocates crimes against humanity, I don't recognize the religion as anything but a criminal organization.

Quote:
I view humans as humans and believe all should be entitled to basic sustenance, freedom and dignity. Not just Americans.

What inspirational philanthropy! People could use this as an example of how to go about treading through the world. Liberation and Freedom for humanity!

Can this outpouring of of humaneness really be emanating from the individual who also wrote:

Quote:
Yikes, this one might get me in trouble. I, as you can see by my avatar, I am a stereotypical white man. I would like to think I exercise no racist beliefs, but that's not true.
When hiring sales people; I hire the most qualified applicants, but; I assume in advance that the black applicants are not likely to perform as well as their equally qualified white counterparts. Black applicants with ethnic sounding names or speech are far less likely to meet quota. I've measured the performance of hundreds of sales persons, while selling tens of thousands of products. As a capitalist, my aspiration is to make as much money as possible. The best person for the job, is the one that is most profitable to employ. Perhaps the white majority in America is less likely to buy from blacks. Perhaps the blacks I've hired lacked the social skills to match their white counterparts performance. Perhaps blacks don't try to sell as hard as whites (this one I know is false). Perhaps I'm a closet racist who lies about the observed results in order to justify my racism (also false). Regardless of the reason, the results remain the same. I've heard of Sales managers who automatically: "If the first name ryhmes with honda, the application goes in the circular file." Unfair? Certainly. Ecconomically sound? Probably. Racially biased? Definitely. Sales 'Leads" can be tremendously expensive to generate. A closing ratio variation of 1% is enormous! My companies profit margin is frequently less than 1%.
Conclusion: Ecconomic resposibility sometimes overrides my desire to be racially blind. The ugly truth is that this fiscal reality does help propetuate Noah's claims.

So, people with African ancestors have a bit of a dissadvantage when looking for work... So what. So do fat people. So do ugly people. So do intellectually challanged people. Depending on where you are; an accent from New York or Georgia will put you at a disadvantage. Young people, old people, tall people, short people are all disadvantaged as well.

It is my contention that every single person is an individual. We all have our crosses to carry. I've read about people with Down Syndrome gratuating college. The person most responsible for success or failure, in this country at least, is the person you look at in the mirror. Am I a racist?

I am, through no fault of my own, faced with an economic reality that rationalizes racism. It is not my preference.

source

That is not very humanitarian of you, Bill Occam.

Liberty! Freedom! But, who will FREE and REDEEM Blacks from the discrimination and oppression emanating from such a misanthropic individual such as yourself and those of your ilk? Bill, you never answered my question, Is YOUR racism a problem only of the Blacks unfortunate enough to have suffered you? Is YOUR racism SOMEONE ELSE'S problem only?

How do you reconcile your bleeding heart humanitarianism for the peoples of Iraq with your bigotry and racism against Blacks?

Liberty! Freedom! But only insofar as it does not interfere with your profit margin. What is that, half-assed humanitarianism?

Your DOUBLETHINK is showing.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:46 am
Shocked Is there some good reason you've attacked me with this same unrelated post in two different locations? Rolling Eyes This is how I responded in the other.

If you had read further you would have seen these as well.

OCCOMBILL wrote:
Stereotypes and generalizations become irrelevant when accessing individuals… In my first post, I should have used the word prediction instead of assumption in relating to a new employees anticipated performance. I am not the one who uses the circular file mentioned. Does this clear anything up?

OCCOMBILL wrote:
One final clarification; in business I choose money over most everything else. It would take an extraordinarily lucky person to succeed while doing otherwise. In marketing, your risk/reward ratio mandates this. In my personal life I am very charitable and will stand up for most any potential victim. In business, I'm out to make money. Period.

During that thread everyone was trying to deny that racism exists, so I demonstrated how it does at least to some degree. In exchange I was called a bigot by the deniers. Funny thing is; the black person who was ranting about racism recognized and appreciated the honesty in my post. You are indeed, a better man than I, if you take every one of your personal, heartfelt feelings into business with you. I do not.

You see a conflict between my recognition of observed results in business and my desire to rid the world of murderous despots. I do not.

InfraBlue wrote:
Bill, you never answered my question, Is YOUR racism a problem only of the Blacks unfortunate enough to have suffered you? Is YOUR racism SOMEONE ELSE'S problem only?

How do you reconcile your bleeding heart humanitarianism for the peoples of Iraq with your bigotry and racism against Blacks?

I don't see anything to reconcile. You do. <Shrugs>. The "bleeding" part is the biggest difference Idea . Consider that I would have no "observed results" to notice, if I was the bigot you've accused me repeatedly of being. I've also noticed that moderately good-looking people out-sell beautiful and ugly people alike. So what? Depending on the product, sometimes men will outsell women, sometimes the other way around… again, so what? Perhaps you've been lucky enough to never have to think with your wallet. Or perhaps you've never had to make an unfair decision. I care what you think; just barely enough to clarify myself. If you don't care to understand… or you still think I'm a bigot, I can live with that. But, it isn't true.

Ps If I were the bigot you've repeatedly suggested I am; what makes you think I wouldn't hate Iraqi's too? Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 06:33 am
Thanks to Blatham for posting this one elsewhere ... I have no time right now to look up an article that reports on this latest poll in a less ... say, combative fashion (will come back later) - but the numbers, in any case, speak for themselves:

Quote:
Poll reveals hostility to US and support for rebel cleric

[..] the main findings of the poll, which was commissioned by the US-led Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) last month and which was leaked yesterday, reveal that only 2 per cent of the Iraqis polled in mid-May see coalition troops as liberators, while 92 per cent said they were occupiers. In a crumb of comfort for the coalition, only 3 per cent expressed support for Saddam Hussein.

[..] Asked whether they would feel safer if the 138,000 US troops left immediately, 55 per cent agreed, nearly double the 28 per cent who held that view in a poll carried out in January.

Asked if the Americans should leave immediately, 41 per cent agreed, while 45 per cent said they preferred US forces to leave once a permanent Iraqi government was installed.

Hostility towards the Americans was also reflected in strong support for the rebel Shia leader, Muqtada Sadr, who galvanised the resistance to the occupation in April. His blend of religion and populism has proved popular The CPA's poll shows that 67 per cent of Iraqis say they support or strongly support [Sadr], making him the most popular man in the country after the Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani. A total of 81 per cent of Iraqis had an improved opinion of Sadr in May from three months earlier, and 64 per cent said the acts of his insurgents had made Iraq more unified. But only 2 per cent would support him for president. The coalition's confidence rating in May stood at 11 per cent, down from 47 per cent in November, while the troops themselves had the support of only 10 per cent.

The survey questioned 1,093 adults who were selected randomly in Baghdad, Basra, Mosul, Diwaniyah, Hillah and Baquba between 14 and 23 May.

[..] a coalition official in Baghdad interviewed by the Associated Press news agency, which obtained the survey, was despondent. "If you are sitting here as part of the coalition, it [the poll] is pretty grim," said Donald Hamilton, a career diplomat who helps oversee the CPA's polling of Iraqis. [..]
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:03 am
67 per cent of Iraqi's say they support or strongly support [Sadr]...

Does this mean that Al Sadr also gets support from non-Shite Iraqi's?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 06:55 pm
I found more articles on new Iraq polls a while ago, but they're still in my "in-box", so to say -- will post later.

Meanwhile, though, this cartoon summarizes the results pretty much as well as anything ... Mr. Green

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/db/2004/db040709.gif
0 Replies