Do computer games need warning label?

Nive

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:40 pm
Do you think computer games need warning labels since some people can get addicted?

Check out the thread below before you answer.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=601693#601693
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 893 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 03:02 pm
Hi, Neve. Welcome to A2K. Over the years, many games have been brought into question. Dungeons and Dragons was attacked because many role players got into real trouble, and if I recall, the old interactive fiction games were slammed by religious nuts. which does make us wonder if disturbed people play the games, or if the games cause people to become disturbed. Rating the games of which you speak will just draw kids to them more, I think. Better to let the parents watch the interaction with their children and point out the fallacies, don't you think?
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 03:47 pm
This is the sort of thing you read in a tabloid newspaper.Everytime some weirdo does something,their collection of games,movies and music gets analysed.
I'll try and come back to this when I've calmed down I'm off to play GTA and listen to records backwards
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 04:27 pm
Nive: In answer to should they be, no. Adults should take accountability for their own actions. If you buy an "addictive" game and discover yourself playing it all night, that would be a clue that you need to limit yourself to how much time you play it. A warning label isn't likely to change that. And I think those who become "addicted" have other problems in their life. I don't think anyone who has a relatively healthy life is going to subject themselves to playing a computer game at the exclusion of everything else in their life. I know I've played some cute little online video games that had me up until the wee hours of the morning. I finally said "self, this is a HUGE waste of time!" and I stopped cold. I have been back since then, but the games don't hold the same appeal any longer. It's kinda like this site. I should stop coming here as much as I do! Mr. Green

Now would it be a good idea? It wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it should be mandatory.
0 Replies