How can I understand Derrida's reading of Husserl?

sally

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 07:51 am
I am currently working on a phD thesis focusing mainly on Jacques Derrida, and have just begun to read his deconstruction of Husserlian phenomenology. In his introduction to Speech and Phenomena Derrida speaks of a 'nothing' which separates Phenomenological Psychology and Transcendental Phenomenology without which no other differences could appear as such, and no transcendental question could be asked. I am having real trouble understanding this difference which is nothing, and would appreciate it if someone could shed any light on what he means.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 928 • Replies: 5
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 11:49 am
truth
Sorry, Sally. Good luck!
0 Replies

jonny

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 03:03 am
I haven't read Derrida or Husserl, but if you explain what Pheonmenological Psychology and Transcendental Phenomenology are perhaps I could be of more help. Links would also be helpful.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 12:57 pm
Good point jonnysally would be acquainted with this.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 01:22 pm
I have no idea what sources you have read, but I did find this book:

Derrida and Husserl
The Basic Problem of Phenomenology
Leonard Lawlor
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 02:35 pm
truth
Sally, you must keep in mind that the original insights of Tywvel and any of us who might make some offerings, are not likely to fly with your committee. Your problem has to do with TECHNICAL matters closely connected to the words of Husserl and Derrida. You simply have to track down the relevant statements of those two philosophers and deal in terms of them.
AFTER you have obtained your Ph.D., because of your COMPLIANCE with the rules of your department's game, then you would do well to interact with original thinkers like Tywvel for the jarring thoughts that may stimulate publications by which you will gain tenure in some college or university. A dissertation is no "venue" for daring or original thinking--unless, of course, you should be blessed with a very enlightened dissertation committee. I repeat: good luck.
p.s. I have chaired and served on scores of dissertation committees.
0 Replies